redundancies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

wodger of awabia wrote: Yes! the local public are apathetic this is why the standard of entertainment & results that the manager & team provide are paramount! In other words as far as the non fanatical supporter is concerned,they may not want to waste their money supporting the current sh*t#y team, if excitement & entertainment were on offer the gates would be better as these apathetic, casual supporters would be more inclined to attend. In November & December people may well decide to spend their "football money" on Xmas. January & Feb. they may decide to use this money to pay off their Xmas credit card bills, if the football on offer is still cr~p, & the manager has not sorted it out.
:goodpost:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

forevertufc wrote:Echo the sentiments above.

Heard about this at the weekend, there were a few who seemed to know about it. This is exactly why the club should sack Alan Knill and Chris Brass, a real snip at around £200,000 cost to pay them off, the club should then appoint a manager who has never really been below Championship level , give them at least £2million all paid for when our gates rise from 2,500 to 2,650 ( note the sarcasm)

Said it a few times, the club is desperate for new investment, we as fans have two choices, one, back the club, the manager and team. Two, disappear, go and watch your local SDL side for free, and help put the club where you have been telling it’s going for some time, never mind at least you will have had the benefit of hindsight, and will be able to say, I told you so.
Do you know that is what it would cost to pay them off?

And if you do, then I am sure you can enlighten us to how much revenue the club would lose if it was relegated? Not just for one year either but over a period of years?

Which would be more expensive? Getting rid of Knill or losing our league status?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

hector wrote: Do you know that is what it would cost to pay them off?

And if you do, then I am sure you can enlighten us to how much revenue the club would lose if it was relegated? Not just for one year either but over a period of years?

Which would be more expensive? Getting rid of Knill or losing our league status?
When it comes around to February and we're in the relegation zone looking like no hopers, then yes, it's worth the pay off. When it's October and we're only 2 months into a 9 month long season, then it isn't worth paying someone off when they still have a chance to turn it around.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

If things don't improve he will have to be sacked early in the new year to give the new manager a chance to get us out of the sh#t.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

hector
Although we're dealing with hypotheticals here Hector, as I can't believe Knill would jump after so recently uprooting himself from Sheffield to move down here, and I doubt the Board would opt to push him when they consider the amount of cash (which they haven't got) it would take to pay off AK & CB, it will be a difficult calculation You need to factor in whether it would be the same people selecting the new Manager, who selected the new Manager in the Summer ? Now with even less money in their pockets to entice anyone half decent, plus how much faith would you have in them being able to differentiate between a good Manager and a poor one ?

There has to be the fear that it could be another enormous chunk of money doled out in order to see no noticeable improvement or even to go backwards. If you oust Knill the finances dictate that it would be Nicholson as Manager with Manse as Player/Coach.....and no we definitely shouldn't have a poll on that :lol:
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

hector wrote: Utter crap. Our attendances are on a par with other poorly performing clubs of our size. It is easy to say it is all the fault of fans who do not turn up or potential ones that are not interested.

And if the public of Torbay are apathetic towards TUFC, as is often claimed, has anyone ever sought to seek clarification as to why that is? Could it be the product on offer?

There must be some reason why the public are apathetic, if they indeed are. It is more likely that demographic factors has a population of Torquay/Torbay, that on the whole isn't local and do not have ties with the club. What does the club actually do to reach out to these 'apathetic' locals just waiting to be seduced?

A few years Exeter Chiefs got crowds of around 1000 if they were lucky. Now they have had a bit of money chucked their way (but then you could say the same of TUFC with the Bristows) but what is noticeable about Chiefs over the last 6 years or so, is that they have steadily built up their brand and they make the match day an experience. And of course they have been successful. Plainmoor is just like a morgue. Just full of people there out of duty rather than looking for a good day out.

Crowds of 2500 are all you can expect for League 2 football when the team is losing, the football is dire and this follows a previous season of losing dire football, where there is no atmosphere in the ground, there is nothing in addition to tempt people to get their earlier or stay longer.

TUFC get precisely the attendances they deserve.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

darryl71 wrote: For what it is worth the one member of staff who was made redundant was the club secretary Kerry Haggan and she was given the news yesterday afternoon. I believe two other members of staff have so far been given notice but that was before yesterday.
This really is piss poor then. Whoever it is who feels the need to feed their ego by releasing confidential club info needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Worrying also that Kerry has gone, a club secretary is a vital position at any club. Just look at the points deduction we received for playing Jake Robinson against Hereford. Who is going to perform this role now? Someone part-time I guess to fit it in around other duties. Let's hope this doesn't come back and bite us on the arse!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

Alpine Joe wrote:hector Although we're dealing with hypotheticals here Hector, as I can't believe Knill would jump after so recently uprooting himself from Sheffield to move down here, and I doubt the Board would opt to push him when they consider the amount of cash (which they haven't got) it would take to pay off AK & CB, it will be a difficult calculation You need to factor in whether it would be the same people selecting the new Manager, who selected the new Manager in the Summer ? Now with even less money in their pockets to entice anyone half decent, plus how much faith would you have in them being able to differentiate between a good Manager and a poor one ?

There has to be the fear that it could be another enormous chunk of money doled out in order to see no noticeable improvement or even to go backwards. If you oust Knill the finances dictate that it would be Nicholson as Manager with Manse as Player/Coach.....and no we definitely shouldn't have a poll on that :lol:
It may not be necessary to pay off Chris Brass, when Mark Mc Ghee took over from Buckle at Bristol Rovers he kept Sean North as his assistant ( perhaps this was a condition of his appointment ). Brass has already managed at York I believe, so all that would be required would be for him to be de-Knillified ( I won't write re-trained as it always winds FL (Matt ) up!)
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I may be wrong here but you make the post redundant, not the person. Which puts us on a sticky wicket as I thought that all clubs had to have a Club Secretary?
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No,I do not know it would cost that ,however what I do know the club would probably have to pay the rest of their contracts, so for the pair of them it will not be far off £200,000 at the moment,we are just 10 games,whats wrong with you? Sack him now,why? Where do you think the money is going to come from to employ a new manager, sign new players, not normally rude, however you really aren't to bright, are you.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

2009/2010 we finished 17th, won 9 games of 23 at home and scored 34 goals in the process. Our average home attendance that year was 3033.

In 2010/11 we finished 7th, won 10 games of 23 at home and scored 36 goals in the process. Our average home attendance that year was 2760, down 9%.

In 2011/12 we finished 5th, won 12 games of 23 at home and scored 36 goals in the process. Our average home attendance that year was 2924, up 6% on the year before, but down 3.5% on the year we finished 17th

in 2012/13 we finished 19th, won 9 games of 23 at home and scored 38 goals in the process. Our average home attendance that year was 2804, down 4% on last year, up 1.5% on the year we finished 7th and down 7.5% on the year we finished 17th.

What among that says that attendances have anything to do with what's on offer. Despite the fact that, at home, we did almost exactly equally as well each year, the attendances varied, yet they bore no resemblance or correlation to our general levels of performance and entertainment value over the season as a whole.

The public aren't interested in Torquay, unless they are. Since you ask, the club is doing lots to promote itself all over the place, and it's no thanks to people like you who dole out endless steams of armchair advice without actually having the first clue about how a football club actually works.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

2010-2011 manager Paul Buckle finished the season as play-off finalists, average gate 2630

2011-2012 manager Martin Ling finished as play-off semi-finalists, and despite spending more than a few weeks in the top 3 places managed an average gate of just 2869

2012-2013 Mangers Ling/Knill finished avoiding relegation on the last day, average gate 2735

There you have going from promotion contenders, to relegation candidates cost us 134 fans. Proves Matt right, apathy is the problem nothing else, when we were top of the league they still didn't come.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

For clarity, my figures came from the table in this article. I'm not sure where Dave got his numbers or why they differ slightly from mine (chances are we've used the same table, but I'm a clot and have got myself confused).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24473863

Matt.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I hate to say this but is this the first step of us potentially going into administration
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

No, it's the first step in us breaking even this season, which was the stated financial aim of the Board at the start of the season. TUFC know what they're doing and I'd trust our lot to keep us safe a damn sight more than I'd trust the merry band of lunatics running the likes of Southend and Coventry City.

Matt.