redundancies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

forevertufc wrote:2010-2011 manager Paul Buckle finished the season as play-off finalists, average gate 2630

2011-2012 manager Martin Ling finished as play-off semi-finalists, and despite spending more than a few weeks in the top 3 places managed an average gate of just 2869

2012-2013 Mangers Ling/Knill finished avoiding relegation on the last day, average gate 2735

There you have going from promotion contenders, to relegation candidates cost us 134 fans. Proves Matt right, apathy is the problem nothing else, when we were top of the league they still didn't come.
Apathy is the problem, is it?

So members of the public, who do not support Torquay, and have no interest in them...it's their fault, is it?

Supporters who have fallen by the wayside? Well, why have they stopped coming? We probably all know people who 'used to' come and no longer do. Is it their fault? Is it their fault that they do not choose to spend money they want to spend elsewhere in their lives on TUFC? Do TUFC, in an area of low-pay and high costs of living, do anything to make people think that they are tempted to spend money going to Plainmoor rather than the something else they must do instead?

Meanwhile, we watch as other clubs in other areas, on the back of sustained success, (not just the odd good season that never builds up momentum) like Exeter, Yeovil and Exeter Chiefs, have attendances that have grown. Torquay never give the crowds an opportunity to grow as good seasons are generally followed by pretty poor ones.

However, there must be a reason, if apathy is particular to TUFC, why people are indeed apathetic? Were they born that way? Is it part of the South Devon psyche? It is all very easy to lament and be hostile to this mythical 'apathetic' public without actually exploring the reasons as to why they are that way. Simply because some of us show a stronger interest in TUFC it does not follow that this is an interest that occurs by default in everyone born or living in TQ and that this apathetic sector, 'going against their nature', are letting the area and club down by not paying £20 a fortnight to watch a crap football team.

And, if the club are being proactive in trying to get extra fans through the turnstiles, well, I haven't noticed it. I saw a sign near the bottom of Hamlyn Way and that was about it. It can only come through the club. Whether that is with better marketing or a period of sustained growth and success that makes people feel confident in committing their allegiance to TUFC.

25 years ago, I would not have dreamt of missing a game. I looked forward to them all week and I went away as often as I could. And ever since, when I could afford it, I have bought a season-ticket. However, I haven't, for a long time, really looked forward to going to Plainmoor. I go out of habit and duty. And for me, it was the Bateson years that induced a degree of apathy, a sense of 'I can take it or leave it'.

If it wasn't for social reasons, in terms of meeting up with my friends for drinks in the pub before the game, then what actually is there to tempt anyone to Plainmoor? Not the football. Not the atmosphere. The matchday experience is dull. Dreary, garbage. Why would anyone, even considering going along to support the local team be tempted by that?
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

lucy6lucy wrote:I hate to say this but is this the first step of us potentially going into administration
deary me, there is a lot of sh*te posted on here without much thinking

Its a shame that when TUFC need our support the most, everyone just moans
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

cambgull wrote: When it comes around to February and we're in the relegation zone looking like no hopers, then yes, it's worth the pay off. When it's October and we're only 2 months into a 9 month long season, then it isn't worth paying someone off when they still have a chance to turn it around.
That is just stupid. So in Feb, and no hopers, likely to be relegated, then we lose the money to pay him off and also the very substantial and significant revenue of going out of the league. We take a double hit! Good idea!
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

forevertufc wrote: No,I do not know it would cost that ,however what I do know the club would probably have to pay the rest of their contracts, so for the pair of them it will not be far off £200,000 at the moment,we are just 10 games,whats wrong with you? Sack him now,why? Where do you think the money is going to come from to employ a new manager, sign new players, not normally rude, however you really aren't to bright, are you.
I'm sorry but 200k is wide of the mark the figure is just over the 100k mark divide that in what way you want but I know it's more 75 k for knill and 30k for brassy plus a bit of expenses in there. If we go down we will loose 500k straight away in funding from the football league plus after 2 years we loose 100k a year towards our academy that has to be matched by us so in other words we put in 100 grand and so does the football league. As for grasses about the redundancies it was leaked by the people who got made redundant. The two part time maintenance people were letting it be known 2 weeks ago that it was a possibility and the husband of our secretary in anger put it on twitter yesterday so it's hardly down to loose lips in the club.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

forevertufc wrote:2010-2011 manager Paul Buckle finished the season as play-off finalists, average gate 2630

2011-2012 manager Martin Ling finished as play-off semi-finalists, and despite spending more than a few weeks in the top 3 places managed an average gate of just 2869

2012-2013 Mangers Ling/Knill finished avoiding relegation on the last day, average gate 2735

There you have going from promotion contenders, to relegation candidates cost us 134 fans. Proves Matt right, apathy is the problem nothing else, when we were top of the league they still didn't come.
2010/11 & 2011/12... Sadly 2,600 ish to 2,900 ish is about all you could expect even with a good TUFC team due to casual supporter apathy, & low wages in this area. Torbay has never been a "football hotbed". The recession & people not getting annual pay rises has not helped.

2012/13 I believe that gates would have been inflated when Knill arrived ( the new manager factor ) also the end of the season was very exciting (nerve wracking) with relegation issues & this could have increased the gates.

I.M.O. the best way to judge is to ignore the first home game of the season, & look at the rest of the games, home support only. It is no good counting away support if you want to gauge Torquay support. This year the away end (& half of the home areas also) will be filled by Portsmouth fans, We should also have very big gates against Exeter, Plymouth,& Bristol Rovers, & Newport supporters could also turn out in force. If the teams that we play over the Bank holidays are doing well then away gates will also most likely be very good.

We will just have to wait & see won't we.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Torquay win 40 on the spin and get promoted - attendances go from 2500 to 4000 + overnight.

Next season Torquay lose 40 on the spin - attendances drop to previous levels.

Trying to convert these fans into regular attendees is like trying to find your arse with both hands with falconry gauntlets on, it can't be done. It is an unsustainable business model.

These fans will come when they want so let's forget about them. Many of the floaters will be not from Devon anyway probably and will already have a 'first team'. We need to focus on the others. Kids for a start. Do local school groups go to matchdays with their teachers or something like and with free tickets?

Unless we are doing well year in year out then we need a new yellow army. Kids.

Sod the floaters and get kids addicted. It may not be healthier supporting Torquay than smoking or it may not be cheaper either but it's a real live experience and it can become a way of life. Like the Levellers preached. Once they've got the bug then it's job done.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ah yes, Hector, I now do see you're quite correct, why don't we just follow the Exeter Chiefs example and get ourselves promoted to the Premiership. Why oh why hadn't we thought of such a simple and easy solution before now. You Sir are a Prince among us mere men.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: deary me, there is a lot of sh*te posted on here without much thinking

Its a shame that when TUFC need our support the most, everyone just moans
Never intended to moan or indeed post shit£. Was just asking the question. If you think I was being negative I wasn't. Reading the new posts and comments at present is not good. But for the record how' many league clubs dont have a club secretary?
Lucy
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

We will still have a secretary the media guy Tim has been appointed to do the role, his role and Kerry's role have been made redundant and a new job that incorporates the two has been created
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

All I read on here lately is doom and gloom, moans and groans. :@

Yes I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some people on here need to get a grip FFS. :slap:

The apathetic Torbay public don't have to part with 20 quid to see the team playing crap and hear the lack of atmosphere at Plainmoor. They can read all about it from the doom and gloom merchants on here for free. Reading negative press on a public forum is also not helping our cause. :red:

What I don't read too much of is how we, the fans can help the team/ club at this time. Because at the moment we are constantly bickering with each other which is doing the square root of fu(k all to help improve the situation, both on and off the field.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I wouldn't mind that, Steve, but as has been shown, they won't pay their money even when we're winning.

Matt.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Torquay win 40 on the spin and get promoted - attendances go from 2500 to 4000 + overnight.

Next season Torquay lose 40 on the spin - attendances drop to previous levels.

Trying to convert these fans into regular attendees is like trying to find your arse with both hands with falconry gauntlets on, it can't be done. It is an unsustainable business model.

These fans will come when they want so let's forget about them. Many of the floaters will be not from Devon anyway probably and will already have a 'first team'. We need to focus on the others. Kids for a start. Do local school groups go to matchdays with their teachers or something like and with free tickets?

Unless we are doing well year in year out then we need a new yellow army. Kids.

Sod the floaters and get kids addicted. It may not be healthier supporting Torquay than smoking or it may not be cheaper either but it's a real live experience and it can become a way of life. Like the Levellers preached. Once they've got the bug then it's job done.
Yes, you are right of course but they will be more likely to come to watch a successful & entertaining team. I don't think that the board will agree that it is best to forget about them, they are more likely to be scratching their heads in an attempt to get them to attend more often.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:Ah yes, Hector, I now do see you're quite correct, why don't we just follow the Exeter Chiefs example and get ourselves promoted to the Premiership. Why oh why hadn't we thought of such a simple and easy solution before now. You Sir are a Prince among us mere men.

Matt.
You show your lack of knowledge for what it is. Exeter Chiefs were getting gates of 4,000 when they were in the semi-pro National One, as it was then, before they were even with a shout of promotion to the Premiership. They were playing in a league with teams like Birmingham/Southall, Moseley and Esher who got gates of around 200. The footballing equivalent is probably the Conference South. Chiefs gates had previously been around the 1000 mark and lower. Their gates overtook ours though, long before they were ever considered to be a realistic prospect for Premiership rugby. So you make yourself look a tit as normal. How do you think they even got there in the first place? They didn't suddenly appear in the Premiership.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The board don't have to forget about them because these people will come and go when they choose and not due to anything the board do to get them in so forget about them and they will come when they want anyway.

I don't get why we got a good attendance for the Oxford game and then the following home game it was poor. Sure Oxford will have taken a few but still, where did all these people disappear to after the Oxford game and why? If they can't take losing ONE game then it's best they f*ck off then and come back when we're winning ( which is kind of the point i'm trying to make). We need more people into Plainmoor on a regular basis win lose or draw and pandering to people that aren't even bothered about us anyway unless we win is not the way forward.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I know absolutely nothing of Rugby and make no pretence to the contrary.

You're still not right, I can evidence it further with the likes of Yeovil, but you'll simply continue to whitter on nonsensically about some irrelevancy or another to support your position that the club should bankrupt themselves by sacking a manager 10 games into a season, as if that would automatically see us rocket up the league and see us attract 5 figure crowds.

Matt.