Stick / Banter ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Stick / Banter ...

Post by Robiberto22 »

Do any of you guys get stick or banter for supporting Torquay?

I live in Burnham in Somerset and everyone supports a premier league team - mostly United and Liverpool! and at work especially i get a lot of stick for supporting the gulls, people saying things like "whats the point?" or "you'll never win anything why not support a PROPER team?"

Just wondered if you guys have similar experiences - and if you guys who live in Torquay find yourselves in the minority in a sea of Man U and Liverpool shirts?
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

all the time robi, all the arm chair man utd and liverpool fans of this world like to think we are nuts supporting teams like torquay, my answer is we watch the real football,, you just watch overpaid stuck up prima donnas , im proud to support my local team.torquay til i die!!! :scarf:
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

To be fair it is fun to walk into a pub with a torquay shirt on, its always a laugh to see how long it takes them to figure what team it is i'm wearing, in Somerset everyone's dad was from Manchester or Liverpool or who ever has won that weekend! You do see more Yeovil shirts around now though - which is nice, i even saw someone in a Weston shirt a few weeks back.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I live in Switzerland - most people think I support Turkey.

When I explain to them, they can't get their heads around a 4th division where some clubs have a higher average gate than some of the Swiss super league clubs.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

Wow you really are an exiled gull lol
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Those people who have lived in Cornwall for example and support Manchester United for the glory (maybe not this year) are usually the ones who would give any stick out!

Football fans who support a team because they were born there etc are more understanding
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No, not really. Some people think they have a go by saying something like "Torquay? They're shit". Fortunately, Darwin was right, so it doesn't usually take long for them to be on the back foot.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

I live in Plymouth, i get it daily. Constantly reminded of how tinpot we are. Apparently Argyle are a premier league team in waiting.

Almost feel sorry for them.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Not so much anymore but when I was in school I got a lot of stick from Leeds fans but they humbled as their team declined. They appreciated that we're not well supported and not world beaters but understood that Torquay is where I'm from and I support them for that reason.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

exilegull wrote:I live in Switzerland - most people think I support Turkey.

When I explain to them, they can't get their heads around a 4th division where some clubs have a higher average gate than some of the Swiss super league clubs.
I get this quite a lot, normally when explaining who I support to foreigners. (Although there was one particularly dumb Welsh girl who couldn't understand why I was going to Turkey for a weekend to watch a football match.)
berkshire yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by berkshire yellow »

I get quite a lot, especially being 17 years old and having friends that support the Liverpools, Chelseas and Uniteds, my mates a Norwich fan and he gets the mic taken out of him as they see Norwich as small! It's friendly banter though and they respect the fact that I support Torquay, and love to come to watch the games with me with how surreal it is!
WYGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ian Twitchin

Post by WYGull »

Not all premier league supporters here in Burnham on Sea, Somerset. I'm a lifelong gulls fan and season ticket holder (along with my son). So at least three gulls fans in BoS.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Yeah at school I get loads the support Liverpool and man u luckily I support arsenal as well that valences it out
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

I too live in Somerset, don't get any stick here really, but then most people round here seem to be egg chasing Chiefs fans rather than footy fans!!

My kids live in Plymouth, are proud to be Gulls fans and season ticket holders, and best of all take great pleasure in telling other kids at school that they are real fans that watch real football, unlike the hoards of premiership fans that they go to school with that watch their teams on telly!!

COYY
I live for matchdays!!!!