Torquay United v Plymouth Argyle - 26/11/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Interesting that Dave about Plymouth being poor but they are on 23 points. I am slowly beginning to work this league out now and I honestly believe that sides like Accrington who basically are extremely limited in terms of quality but are well organised and put a shift in will get their rewards more often than usual. I don't even think we need to be trying to chuck men forward in desperation, just if Knill can just keep a settled side, get them knowing their job and working hard for one another and with desire and discipline then we've nothing to worry about IMO. Ironically I think Ling's tactics would see us comfortably mid table now because the quality in the league just isn't really there this year. Back to basics and we'll be laughing but if Knill continues to tinker and look for the golden formula that isn't really needed then we're never going to have that TEAM understanding and cohesion enough to put any form together. Just my opinion.

I think we can beat Scunny if we do this, why not?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

sam_ wrote:Walking to the car, an Argyle fan said that McCormick had a quiet night. He bloody kept them in it!!
Never underestimate the power of denial.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Causes plenty of flooding problems in Egypt I believe.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I"m not sure what match HeavenandHele, went to watch tonight, but I can"t believe he was at PlAinmoor. I thought this was our best performance of the season, so far. We played some lovely passing football, not a great deal of hoof ball. Convinced it should not have been a penalty, the guy was offside before the foul which led to the free kick which led to the penalty. Memory serves me right Ricey only made one real save,from a dangerous free kick very late in the second half. It was a stunning save. McCormack made 3/4 very good saves.Mozica had a good game as did Nath, Chapps Benners Manse and the new fella. How we have not come away with all 3 points is a travesty. Well done boys, keep that level of performance up and we will soon start to climb the table.
Last edited by diamondgirl on 26 Nov 2013, 23:20, edited 2 times in total.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

When I heard Steve Breed say on the radio, that Plymouth were the better team in the second half, I was surprised.

It was a decent Torquay performance and it would have been harsh had Plymouth snatched a winner, as we were the better team. Plymouth looked pretty poor, to be honest.

For the first few minutes, I felt Plymouth looked the more confident, accomplished team and it could be said that the Torquay goal came against the run of play a little but from then on, Torquay were the better team and in the second half, I thought we were much better. We just seemed to have the ball more often and play better football with it.

If, a game, is ever going to kick-start a season for Knill, then it could be that one. There seemed to be a bit more togetherness, a bit more of a team feel to Torquay, that I have not seen this season. Chapell got MOTM but I also thought that Nathan Craig had a really good game on the right of midfield, whilst Mozika got better as the game went on. The new forward showed some promise. In fact, although Mansell had one or two poor passing moments, I don't think there was a Torquay player who should feel they played badly. I thought they all did what could be asked of them.

Whether that is the best we can be, I don't know.

However, 18 years ago, roughly at this time of year, we were in bad form but went to Home Park and played above ourselves and were unlucky to lose a thriller 3-4. I remember Neil Warnock - manager of Plymouth at the time - saying if only Torquay could play that every week for the manager Don O'Riordan. That Plymouth game was followed by a match against Scunthorpe and an 1-8 battering and it marked the end of O'Riordan's reign.

Now, after a dreadful season and a performance against Plymouth that offers promise, the manager faces Scunthorpe...Knill has to get a result, as otherwise tonight is just papering over cracks.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Interesting that Dave about Plymouth being poor but they are on 23 points. I am slowly beginning to work this league out now and I honestly believe that sides like Accrington who basically are extremely limited in terms of quality but are well organised and put a shift in will get their rewards more often than usual. I don't even think we need to be trying to chuck men forward in desperation, just if Knill can just keep a settled side, get them knowing their job and working hard for one another and with desire and discipline then we've nothing to worry about IMO. Ironically I think Ling's tactics would see us comfortably mid table now because the quality in the league just isn't really there this year. Back to basics and we'll be laughing but if Knill continues to tinker and look for the golden formula that isn't really needed then we're never going to have that TEAM understanding and cohesion enough to put any form together. Just my opinion.

I think we can beat Scunny if we do this, why not?
This, indeed is very much the key, Andy. There were times tonight the team got into very good attacking positions only for the move to break down because some of our just aren't on the same wavelength, have no understanding, Marquis looks like he could be a very useful addition given time to settle in.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers all for the match reports. I'm off to bed now, knackered. If you can believe it, I was actually in the gym at 6.30am this morning and then the pool and all before taking my little un to school!! I AM INSANE!!!

(same again tomorrow then, night night :clown: )
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

ferrarilover wrote: Never underestimate the power of denial.

Matt.
So much championship denial from them
We'll be back...
limbsofsimb
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: John-Pierre Simb

Post by limbsofsimb »

The boys did well, nice to stop the rot! Glad to have O'Conner firming it up at the back too. Lets hope Alan builds on this and follows the example of Accy & Hartlepool and get ourselves out of this mess.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

sam_ wrote:Walking to the car, an Argyle fan said that McCormick had a quiet night. He bloody kept them in it!!
What a disgrace, he kills 2 kids and yet plays on , and Those green tosers appauld him
Lucy
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Had he let one through his legs, would that have influenced your opinion of him?
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

At last we actually put a ballanced side out, Mansell led by example, Craig was outstanding at times and put some telling passes into the box. Chapell did well as did Rice but I would be happier if Poke was brought back as we got away with murder on several crosses. In comparison McCormack was a different class.
It was good to see us play more narrow keeping the midfield tighter and we looked the better side, how often have we been able to say that. Credit where it is due Allan but lets follow it up with another result on Saturday.
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

diamondgirl wrote:I"m not sure what match HeavenandHele, went to watch tonight, but I can"t believe he was at PlAinmoor.
Well I was and I've got the ticket stub to prove it :) I actually thought we were good (if not great), that said if I'd been to the last few matches prior to this one I'm sure I'd be a lot more enthusiastic...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Argyle weren't at all impressive. How the hell are they unbeaten in eight games? Perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for us yet..
mcgull1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodny Jack Jack Jack

Post by mcgull1 »

lucy6lucy wrote: What a disgrace, he kills 2 kids and yet plays on , and Those green tosers appauld him
I just found it sad that a section of our 'fans' would rather focus on him than support their own team during 90% of the game. Our team deserved more than that tonight.