Torquay United v Plymouth Argyle - 26/11/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

First game since the opening day of the season for me (I work Saturdays) so wasn't all too sure what to expect.

Pleased with a draw. Could have won it quite easily but at least its points on the board. I'm not sure about their penalty decision, shouldn't have been a free kick in first place but then our guy shouldn't have been charging it down (i don't think the Plymouth player touched it until he smashed it into his arm, may be wrong). Cant help but feel we would score more goals if when we broke away, we did it with some sort of urgency, instead of passing it sideways and backwards allowing the oppo to get men between the ball and goal.

Ricey - Some good saves, a few dodgy moments but solid.

Tonge - Thought he was good tonight, contributing to both attack and defence well.

Downes - Should have scored. Solid at the back still.

O'Connor - Good, not a lot to say.

Cruise - Link up play with Chappell was good, put some inviting balls into the area.

Mozika - Uncoordinated, poor in first period of game, but built into it. Played some decent passes but still not sure about him.

Mansell - Great commitment, just wish hed bring the ball down sometimes instead of hoofing it up the pitch in the hope of Benyon chasing.

Chappell - Unlucky not to score, wish he would put his foot into 5050s a bit more, other than that, looked decent.

Craig - His deliveries are way beyond our level. How we didn't score from one of his set pieces is beyond me. Provides an interesting threat from RM, even without pace.

Benyon - Good finish, worked hard as usual. Not too much to add.

Marquis - Mobile Target Man. Heads a ball well, holds it up and brings others into play. I like him.

Not sure when my next game will be, possibly over the Christmas period. Hopefully the table will look a little different then.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm worried now about Saturday. Realistically, we're not going to go there and get a result. We're probably going to get done, say, 2-0. My concern is that people will somehow give unwarranted criticism to the team because they got beaten away at a team on the cusp of the autos.

By all accounts, we were alright against Accrington. We were certainly much more than just alright against Argyle. If we perform somewhere between the two and at least make a game of it, then that'll be enough for me. Beyond Scunny, we have a tough but winnable home match with a Southend side who will, almost certainly, be a massive physical side. Dagenham away, then a couple of very winnable home matches against Rovers and City. Another match against Argyle, Morecambe, Wimbledon and AC Northampton complete a not overly daunting looking run of matches.

We aren't a side who can look to win every game, that's not real life. Scunny is not a match we should be targeting. A point would be a bloody good result from Saturday, then we can start thinking about picking up points a little faster and more regularly.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Pasoti has McCormick as MOTM . Says it all .....
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:Outrageous that we haven't won that by three or more. Not perfect, but vastly superior to anything Argyle could muster. Andy is right, this division is daft. They're miles above us and looked like they would struggle in the Conference. We were excellent. Craig, MoMo, Chapperz all three brilliant individually. Manse very good also. Some lovely football, getting it wide and getting it across.
Argyle penalty a joke. Offside in the build up, dive for the free kick and 'handball' from about 6 inches. Usual Roger East, absolutely desperate to help the oppo against us. Typical Argyle also, happy to fall over at every opportunity. Came for a draw, which should be embarrassing enough for them, but the way they went about getting it was cringe-worthy.

Matt.
Matt - we all see games differently but to claim we should have won by three or more is, quite frankly, nonsense. Hector's unbiased summary of the match was far more accurate than yours. Yes - it was a much, much better performance mainly because Knill is AT LAST playing three in midfield (Mansell, Craig and Mozika) and he is AT LAST playing the two best footballers at the club - Craig and Cruise. The penalty was a harsh decision - sometimes they're given, more often than not, they aren't. I thought overall a draw was a fair result on the night. But several good performances and more effort. Clearly, Mozika is still not match fit but I'm sure the more he plays, the more he will influence games. So onwards and upwards from here ....... we hope.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

A draw a fair result against a team who had one shot on target all night? If you're sure.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

Had a quick look on the Plymouth forum. Overall consensus was that they were very poor, we were much better than them and played some very good stuff at times and that they were in the end very happy stealing a point as we had outplayed them most of the game and deserved to win. Plus McCormack was named as MOM by pretty much everyone. Can't disagree with any of that.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Disagree with the first bit Matt. I believe EVERY game is winnable and we need to go out with the right attitude but the last bit of the sentence is correct. A point would be good on the face of it but that would mean Alan has achieved 2 points from a possible 9 and 4 points from these 3 games would have been acceptable for me. As it is it is Alan has done worse than the bare minimum - UNLESS we beat Scunny.

A win at Scunny is the only result that is acceptable on Saturday IMO. No point in taking second best again because if we don't win we could see ourselves bottom and at least 4 points adrift if Rovers win. A loss would mean a total of 1 point from our last 4 league games and considering the form we were in BEFORE that then it is certain relegation form. I know you are looking at the bigger picture but I think we need to take it a game at a time and try to win every game. Draws and then a succession of defeats aren't any good to us.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 27 Nov 2013, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Bobbytanz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Bobbytanz »

Better much better and hello there was some commitment and a smidge of passion, although for a Devon Derby, the tackles weren't really flying in were they !!! Good to see Messrs Knill and Brass barking instructions !!!

Team performed well and stand-outs for me were O'Connor and Marquis, liked Mozika too, a bit un co-ordinated, but gets stuck. Not sure why people are raving about Craig, set piece delivered was excellent BUT if only he would get tackle !!!!!

PAFC were poor in my eyes and we were the better side.

Now for that "tool" in the middle, Roger "feckin" East .................. he is shocking every time he ref's us, the amount of time he allowed Argyle to waste taking kicks and throw in's was stupid, and the penalty was harsh to say the least, but he wants to be the star of the show !!!

A glimmer of hope maybe going forward ??? Nice to see Branno at the game, chatting with all in the bar, still a top bloke, even though he refers to me as "his dad" !!!!!
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

GazTheGull wrote:First game since the opening day of the season for me (I work Saturdays) so wasn't all too sure what to expect.

Pleased with a draw. Could have won it quite easily but at least its points on the board. I'm not sure about their penalty decision, shouldn't have been a free kick in first place but then our guy shouldn't have been charging it down (i don't think the Plymouth player touched it until he smashed it into his arm, may be wrong). Cant help but feel we would score more goals if when we broke away, we did it with some sort of urgency, instead of passing it sideways and backwards allowing the oppo to get men between the ball and goal.

Ricey - Some good saves, a few dodgy moments but solid.

Tonge - Thought he was good tonight, contributing to both attack and defence well.

Downes - Should have scored. Solid at the back still.

O'Connor - Good, not a lot to say.

Cruise - Link up play with Chappell was good, put some inviting balls into the area.

Mozika - Uncoordinated, poor in first period of game, but built into it. Played some decent passes but still not sure about him.

Mansell - Great commitment, just wish hed bring the ball down sometimes instead of hoofing it up the pitch in the hope of Benyon chasing.

Chappell - Unlucky not to score, wish he would put his foot into 5050s a bit more, other than that, looked decent.

Craig - His deliveries are way beyond our level. How we didn't score from one of his set pieces is beyond me. Provides an interesting threat from RM, even without pace.

Benyon - Good finish, worked hard as usual. Not too much to add.

Marquis - Mobile Target Man. Heads a ball well, holds it up and brings others into play. I like him.

Not sure when my next game will be, possibly over the Christmas period. Hopefully the table will look a little different then.
Good summary, can't dissagree with any of that.Agree with Marquis, like him
We'll be back...
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by tufcgiants »

Either side probably could have knicked it, but a draw was a fair result. We were the better side in the first half, while Plymouth were probably better in the second.

For everyone saying "I have no idea why plymouth are 8 unbeaten" - I can see why, I thought they stayed tight, they didn't play that well last night, but they do have a lot of quality in their side, they have a brilliant goalkeeper, Neil Trotman win's everything in defence, that Blizzard lad is a good midfielder, Reid is a good player to have in this league, reminds me of Rene Howe at times. Alessandra is a skilful player both up front and on the wing.

Plymouth are a good side and I can see them mounting a play off push this season, pleased with a point against them.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

"Now for that "tool" in the middle, Roger "feckin" East .................. he is shocking every time he ref's us, the amount of time he allowed Argyle to waste taking kicks and throw in's was stupid, and the penalty was harsh to say the least, but he wants to be the star of the show !!!"

Heard that clown Gordon Sparkes say on Radio Devon that Roger "feckin" East has reffed 10 Plymouth games and they have never lost !!

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@

BTW It was good to Eunan O'Kane in the bar after the game. If only he was back in our midfield....... :'( :'(
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufcgiants »

I dont think the ref was that bad at all, we didn't create enough in front of goal to merit a win, a draw was fair.

As for the penalty, you see them given and you see them not given.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Typical that East should do us yet again. Always the same never gives us feck all.
Fl - what are you on? - we simply cannot afford to lose at Scunthorpe. They have had two good results (see what sacking your manager can actually do?)
But didn't they lose 4-1 or something at home the other week to Exeter who themselves are crap, like nearly all the teams in this division.
There isn't many games in this league which are not winnable - how else can you account for crap teams like Hartlepool,Accrington,Plymouth and Mansfield winning games - I mean they can hardly be beating good sides can they?
Thankfully I was wrong about the score last night but equally I did say that Plymouth were a poor side.
There lies the problem though - Knill just isn't winning games and that has to change and quickly. We have somehow got to start winning home games.
Am I right in saying there is a fortnight gap after Saturday before the next game.
If thats the case hopefully that will see the return of Bodin and Harding. Knill needs to send back Azeez and McCourt.
He needs to beg Blackburn to let us sign O'connor for the remainder of the season. Then we have to come out and beat Southend.
If our poor home form cannot be turn ed around by the end of December we are going down.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

thing was with Laws and Scunthorpe was they panicked and sacked him on the back of 2 defeats in a week the second being an emotional defeat to grimsby. Fact is they were about 3 or 4 points off the playoffs, 2 wins and they are 5th again. They weren't ever a terrible side at this level.
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufcgiants »

Oh and one more thing, those 12 year olds setting off smoke bombs and trying to get on the pitch after 5 minutes and focusing more on the Plymouth keeper and fans than our own team, just ban them, an embarrassment to the vast majority of decent fans at the club.