If only we had a keeper like Argyle's

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

he does. He doesn't have the height. He fully accepts he's not brilliant on crosses which is why he allows his 2 CB's (both of whom are excellent in the air) to deal with it unless he is 100% certain he's getting there first.

Rice has been otustanding for us this season not just in the saves he's made but his handling has been pretty much flawless, if we closed player of the year now he'd be in the top 3 without a shadow of a doubt.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The one problem I have with Rice is that he is so reluctant to come off his line. Shotstopping he is excellent, but his commanding of the penalty area is very poor. McCormick did that very well last night and I can see why Argyle fans say he is the best keeper in the league - he's the best I've seen at this level since Bobby.

Still I don't want to bang on about Ricey because he's kept us in numerous games this season.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Nick wrote:The one problem I have with Rice is that he is so reluctant to come off his line. Shotstopping he is excellent, but his commanding of the penalty area is very poor. McCormick did that very well last night and I can see why Argyle fans say he is the best keeper in the league - he's the best I've seen at this level since Bobby.

Still I don't want to bang on about Ricey because he's kept us in numerous games this season.
I agree with that.

Rice made a wonderful save last night from the free-kick and has probably surpassed many people's expectations but he doesn't strike me as a 'dominant' keeper.

McCormick did play well last night and he is an excellent keeper. And, I know I will get shot down by some for this, but I found some of the abuse directed at him pretty sickening last night. What he did, he did and it was terrible and tragic, and an appalling mistake with the most dreadful consequences but the Neanderthal element that often lurk on the Pop Side let themselves down in my view with the things they were shouting in earshot of children.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

hector wrote: I agree with that.

Rice made a wonderful save last night from the free-kick and has probably surpassed many people's expectations but he doesn't strike me as a 'dominant' keeper.

McCormick did play well last night and he is an excellent keeper. And, I know I will get shot down by some for this, but I found some of the abuse directed at him pretty sickening last night. What he did, he did and it was terrible and tragic, and an appalling mistake with the most dreadful consequences but the Neanderthal element that often lurk on the Pop Side let themselves down in my view with the things they were shouting in earshot of children.
:goodpost: Absolutely fully agree Hector and shame on anyone who comes on here to shoot you down. He is not a crazed axe man - he made a terrible decision to drive that morning. He has served his sentence but his longest sentence is that he has to live with the consequences for the rest of his life.
DerrifordGreen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by DerrifordGreen »

We love McCormick.

Also didn't know if you knew but he donates 50% of his charity to children's charities and does a lot of charity work for children.

He's one of the nicest blokes I've ever met, but what happened was a horrible, tragic accident.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I find the thread title insulting to Martin Rice to be honest. We all know Ricey is not the greatest keeper but what he has done for us this season has been incredible and he's one of the few who interacts with the fans and has the time of day for us.

Fair enough have a thread entitled, "Rice v McCormack" or something like and have the debate but to just have a thread title that implies it disregards everything Ricey has done for us this season by it's derogatory tone is rude.

I'm perfectly happy with Rice as it happens.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I find the thread title insulting to Martin Rice to be honest. We all know Ricey is not the greatest keeper but what he has done for us this season has been incredible and he's one of the few who interacts with the fans and has the time of day for us.

Fair enough have a thread entitled, "Rice v McCormack" or something like and have the debate but to just have a thread title that implies it disregards everything Ricey has done for us this season by it's derogatory tone is rude.

I'm perfectly happy with Rice as it happens.
Just been reading the threads on goalkeepers and Rice has made fantastic saves and his distribution has been good as well. What a few are saying is right McCormack is a different class and the nearest we have to him is Poke. That is not disrespecting Rice as he has played to the best of his ability but he could be better if he used his feet moving towards the crosses whilst the ball is in the air. He needs to work at it as his shot stopping is good.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I said the thread TITLE is insulting and disrespectful and NOT the debate about McCormick v Rice.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Derriford Green - Because he plays for a team that you support, you cannot minimise what he did as "being an accident" - no doubt had he been sober and not under the influence the accident wouldn't have occurred, people wouldn't have lost their lives, their relatives wouldn't have had to live with the consequences, and he wouldn't have ended up in the pokey.
Giving money to charity doesn't actually change a thing - you are an idiot if you think otherwise. That said I certainly don't begrudge him earning a living from football and if anyone was barracking him last night then they are morons.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote:Derriford Green - Because he plays for a team that you support, you cannot minimise what he did as "being an accident" - no doubt had he been sober and not under the influence the accident wouldn't have occurred, people wouldn't have lost their lives, their relatives wouldn't have had to live with the consequences, and he wouldn't have ended up in the pokey.
Giving money to charity doesn't actually change a thing - you are an idiot if you think otherwise. That said I certainly don't begrudge him earning a living from football and if anyone was barracking him last night then they are morons.

I suppose you've have not done anything you regret and got away with. This guy has been punished for his crime. He has also got to live with his mistake. I know this does not put it right but he's got to get on with his life now.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

arcadia wrote:
I suppose you've have not done anything you regret and got away with. This guy has been punished for his crime. He has also got to live with his mistake. I know this does not put it right but he's got to get on with his life now.
That's what Brucie said only in a different way ;-)
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

brucie wrote:Derriford Green - Because he plays for a team that you support, you cannot minimise what he did as "being an accident" - no doubt had he been sober and not under the influence the accident wouldn't have occurred, people wouldn't have lost their lives, their relatives wouldn't have had to live with the consequences, and he wouldn't have ended up in the pokey.
Agree - but lets be honest, he must have known that he would get A LOT of abuse when he re signed up to football
We'll be back...
tufcgiants
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by tufcgiants »

Thread was never meant to be a Rice bashing, just meant to point out I wish we had a keeper as commanding/confident/quality as McCormick.

Rice is alright.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Even the most critical of "second choice" 1st team 'keeper Martin Rice will now accept he is an excellent replacement for "first choice" reserve 'keeper Michael Poke.

;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"