Scunthorpe United v Torquay United - 30/11/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I was quietly confident after Tuesday. Okay I didn't think we were that good but we had dominated for longish periods and looked far the better side. As soon as it went 2-0 today I stopped listening to what I was listening as there was no way back. Optimism has gone - we are half way through the season and we are rock bottom, and getting cut adrift.

Two weeks now makes the perfect time to make a change - in an ideal scenario the board have already started sounding out replacements incase things got as bad as they have done, but I can't see that to be honest. Hopefully there'll be some news come Monday morning, but I just cannot see him getting us out of this slump.

And another thing - next home game is the Kingsteignton day thing, this is a top idea but it will probably fail to actually get any extra onto the gate because of the way we are playing and the fact we're rock bottom. I'll still be there of course, but my patience has run out now.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, that went badly wrong. Third goal killed the game, it was a total non contest from then on in. If, as would have been appropriate, it had been 0-0 at HT, we'd be coming home with a point from a good draw. Not sure whether that makes it better or worse.

Something needs to change. We concede from far too high a percentage of chances and we don't score from enough that we create. The calls for Knill's head are more valid now than they were before, but the real problems with that approach remain.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

PhilGull wrote:O'Connor own goal just about summed things up. Not sure on the possesion, ESPN app on my phone has it at 60/40 in Scunny's favour...
51% to us according the BBC
TUST number 080
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Matt,

I would argue that the problems that come with NOT taking that approach by far exceed those of getting rid.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:Well, that went badly wrong. Third goal killed the game, it was a total non contest from then on in. If, as would have been appropriate, it had been 0-0 at HT, we'd be coming home with a point from a good draw. Not sure whether that makes it better or worse.

Something needs to change. We concede from far too high a percentage of chances and we don't score from enough that we create. The calls for Knill's head are more valid now than they were before, but the real problems with that approach remain.

Matt.
First para - you could say that if it was 0-3 to us at FT, we'd be coming home with a top result. All pointless theory.

Second - if you're starting to realise that there is something wrong as you've been one of his staunchest supporters so far.

As I say, now is the perfect time to make a change - lets hope the board have the balls to do something.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You've fallen into the trap, Scotty. I can't be arsed to explain it again.

Matt.

Difference is Nick, we did, in fact, draw the second half 1-1.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:You've fallen into the trap, Scotty. I can't be arsed to explain it again.

Matt.

Still kinda irrelevant though. Also I've noticed the second part of my last post doesn't make sense but I'm so pissed off I can't be arsed to change it.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I've not fallen into any trap.

I was against his appointment from the start - his record at other clubs was, by and large, not great (certainly no better than the one he replaced) and he has succeeded in managing to making us worse than last season.

I wonder if the Boards call for investment earlier in the week (via our chairwoman) was their way of obtaining the funds to get rid of our manager.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

From the commentary you could argue that we shouldn't have been two nil down at half time but the game was basically over after we went one down after five minutes. We just concede too many goals for starters.
I think this was on the cards really - as I said before a percieved better showing on Tuesday was followed by an abject result today. That makes us a bad team.
I just don't know why we are this poor.
Surely having got a goal back Knill should have rolled the dice and bought on Bodin or somebody - I mean there were ten minurtes to go - had we fluked a second goal anything could have happened but we didn't try anything.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

As i have stated earlier the club doesnt have the balls to get rid and he wont without being told to. But on the positive side Conference football will be cheaper so I can get to more games.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

ferrarilover wrote:You've fallen into the trap, Scotty. I can't be arsed to explain it again.

Matt.

To some that will feel like a win, and to be fair it's about as close as we going to get
badamsincalifornia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by badamsincalifornia »

[quote="brucie"
Surely having got a goal back Knill should have rolled the dice and bought on Bodin or somebody - I mean there were ten minurtes to go - had we fluked a second goal anything could have happened but we didn't try anything.[/quote]

This just shows that Knill is out of ideas and it's time that he's shown the door.....
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Matt.

This needs to go on the positive thread...
:rofl:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote:
Hurray!! Do we get any points for that?

I had previously favoured delaying the sacking until the end of the year, but enough is now enough.

The rot has set in, and we can't buy a win. Relegation unthinkable; this we all know. For the future of Torquay, Knill has to go.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."