Should the club sack Alan Knill?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Torquay United sack Alan Knill?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 105

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

teeboo100 wrote:scott you may well be right i was just looking for a different viewpoint really its just plainmoor seams a very sad place to be can alan knill be blamed for it all I just happen to think the problems lie alot deeper than just sacking the manager
Think back to the summer and the euphoria of losing Ling and making a fresh start. Even if Alan was not some fans ideal appointment the collective relief and then excitement and anticipation was there. New players, new shirt, new hope, new era.

Look, feel and hear at Plainmoor now and the weariness and resignation of the away fans on the road each time too and we've only just hit December. Who is responsible for this?

Exactly.

Get rid and we have half a chance of undoing all the detritus on and off the pitch that this man has accumulated and staying up.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

At the end of the day, it's a results driven business and whether Alan Knill is to blame or not, he has not gotten the results. I can't think of many clubs who would stick around with a manager with a record Alan has.

As the poll suggests (and I know it is a forum based opinion) he has lost most of the support. That puts more pressure on him to get the team playing and getting the results we need.

Now is a perfect time to bring in a fresh face.

Thanks for keeping us up last season, but Alan, now is the time to go .
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Presumably as there was no official statement after the game on Saturday and still no statement today, the board have elected to adopt a "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't" approach. I hope they know what they are doing!. To gain any kind of faith, I need to see some progression in the team in terms of each performance. I still feel Alan Knill is somewhat 'Rolling the dice' each game as opposed to having a clear strategy and regularly we are taking two steps forward, three steps back. I feel the players are aware of this too. Everyone has their part to play in trying to ensure our league survival and personally I would rather go down kicking and screaming every step of the way as opposed to wimpering out like an injured dog! - even at this stage there is hope, although some would argue very little. If you are going to take us down Alan, then show some balls and prove to the fans you really care as opposed to looking like a wet blanket - perhaps we might then too! :whip:
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Sorry Alan, but you've got to go now. Your record has been woeful this season and there just does not seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

I am ususally one of the last to crack and always believe in sticking by the manager over being trigger happy. Things have gone far enough now though. It's just not working out, which is a travesty, as we all pretty much agree that the players are better than last season. That can only mean they are being mis-managed, which is shown by your demoralising and disruptive habit of chopping and changing the team nearly every game.

Neil Warnock would be very nice as a replacement, but I don't think he will bother wil little old Torquay for a second time when there are bigger fish to fry just up the road (Brizzle). We'll see though I guess.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

On the positive side if there is one, IF Alan can turn this around and we get some decent results against our rivals over the festive period then they won't feel like ordinary wins (I didn't mean that! :red: :lol: ) they will give us an extra bit of confidence than usual I reckon to kick on in the New Year and I think we will be ok then. God it's so on a knife edge. Bring on the Shrimps!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:On the positive side if there is one, IF Alan can turn this around and we get some decent results against our rivals over the festive period then they won't feel like ordinary wins (I didn't mean that! :red: :lol: ) they will give us an extra bit of confidence than usual I reckon to kick on in the New Year and I think we will be ok then. God it's so on a knife edge. Bring on the Shrimps!
It's worse than that...!! :(
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Apart from Teeboo who seems to be sitting on the fence somewhat, none of the six (so far) who have voted for Alan Knill to stay have come on this thread to explain why they think he should remain as manager. Apart from the financial implications which must present the Board with a huge dilemma, I cannot think of any reason why he hasn't gone today. Maybe the six are Northampton or Bristol Rvrs 'visitors' looking out for their own interests ! :-/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If you read the rest of the forum you will probably be more enlightened ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote:If you read the rest of the forum you will probably be more enlightened ;-)
Thanks Dave - I've picked up one or two luke-warm supports for AK but not as many as six !! :}
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

hi tomogull I today voted for alan knill to remain our manager ive set out some of my points of view in relation to the club would struggle to afford to sack him pay him off pay off chris brass and pay for a new man at the helm the club clearly is struggling financially and i cant believe torquays fragile finances could take such a sizeable hit at a time where the clubs support seams to be draining away. Secondly alan knill is not to blame for all things wrong at torquay yes he has to take his share of responsibility as do the players but i think we all as fans should look at ourselves and say am i helping. I am one of those fans who havent done his bit tomo ive posted and tweeted about the removal of alan and now i feel embarrassed that at a team when our club needs me and my support more than ever i have chosen to bleat on and talk rubbish trying to remove a man who has relocated his life and family to devon to manage our club. More than ever the manager players and club need our unquivical support and from now on ime going to give it. What i dont mean to decry from other posters who want alan out is that they are wrong they arnt wrong in there own eyes so thats fair enough i can certainly see the argument for change. Alan knill is a decent man in an awful spot can we all not agree just for the time being to put our feelings aside and support come what may and you never know almost everybody has consigned us to the trap door anyway we might just pull off a miracle but we have utterly no chance if we just give up ime not giving up.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: Thanks Dave - I've picked up one or two luke-warm supports for AK but not as many as six !! :}
Well I did and it was not lukewarm, and you were the only person to reply tomogull! Bit more research needed perhaps?

PS. It was a bit confusing to work out last time, so if you are going to quote me again please try to get my bit inside the box ;-)
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Well if they are going to sack him I hope they hurry up, as I am waiting to buy a ticket for Cardiff Vs West Brom on the 14th. if Knill is still the manager ( up the Baggies ! ). I won't be going to Plainmoor until we have a new manager, the atmosphere is sh#t. I just hope that the board know what they are doing & don't mind their wasted investment in the new stand & training facilities, which will be far in excess of what is needed in the Conference........still not to worry, it's not as if it's my money that is being wasted on Knill!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

teeboo100 wrote:hi tomogull I today voted for alan knill to remain our manager ive set out some of my points of view in relation to the club would struggle to afford to sack him pay him off pay off chris brass and pay for a new man at the helm the club clearly is struggling financially and i cant believe torquays fragile finances could take such a sizeable hit at a time where the clubs support seams to be draining away. Secondly alan knill is not to blame for all things wrong at torquay yes he has to take his share of responsibility as do the players but i think we all as fans should look at ourselves and say am i helping. I am one of those fans who havent done his bit tomo ive posted and tweeted about the removal of alan and now i feel embarrassed that at a team when our club needs me and my support more than ever i have chosen to bleat on and talk rubbish trying to remove a man who has relocated his life and family to devon to manage our club. More than ever the manager players and club need our unquivical support and from now on ime going to give it. What i dont mean to decry from other posters who want alan out is that they are wrong they arnt wrong in there own eyes so thats fair enough i can certainly see the argument for change. Alan knill is a decent man in an awful spot can we all not agree just for the time being to put our feelings aside and support come what may and you never know almost everybody has consigned us to the trap door anyway we might just pull off a miracle but we have utterly no chance if we just give up ime not giving up.
Sorry Teeboo, you give a heartfelt argument. But it is "heart" not "head". AK may be a decent man, but he has failed at Torquay as manager and failed big time. I remain totally convinced that we will go down with him in charge and that could be the end of our club. The club's support is draining away BECAUSE we are producing garbage week in week out under Knill's leadership. Being decent and nice counts for zilch when we are bottom of the League. I want us to stay up, I don't care how we do it. If it means we kick lumps out of the opposition in every game up to the end of the season then lumps we must kick, if we have to dive and cheat I don't care. We have to start winning, and to do that then AK must go, now. I sincerely hope that your view is not representative of how the Board see things. If it is then God help us.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

teeboo100 wrote:hi tomogull I today voted for alan knill to remain our manager ive set out some of my points of view in relation to the club would struggle to afford to sack him pay him off pay off chris brass and pay for a new man at the helm the club clearly is struggling financially and i cant believe torquays fragile finances could take such a sizeable hit at a time where the clubs support seams to be draining away. Secondly alan knill is not to blame for all things wrong at torquay yes he has to take his share of responsibility as do the players but i think we all as fans should look at ourselves and say am i helping. I am one of those fans who havent done his bit tomo ive posted and tweeted about the removal of alan and now i feel embarrassed that at a team when our club needs me and my support more than ever i have chosen to bleat on and talk rubbish trying to remove a man who has relocated his life and family to devon to manage our club. More than ever the manager players and club need our unquivical support and from now on ime going to give it. What i dont mean to decry from other posters who want alan out is that they are wrong they arnt wrong in there own eyes so thats fair enough i can certainly see the argument for change. Alan knill is a decent man in an awful spot can we all not agree just for the time being to put our feelings aside and support come what may and you never know almost everybody has consigned us to the trap door anyway we might just pull off a miracle but we have utterly no chance if we just give up ime not giving up.
Sometimes its cruel to be kind. Knill has done little to nothing to suggest he is good enough for the job.

You can support the team on the park for 90 minutes and still want to see a change in manager. Do you honestly believe that he is getting the best out of the players or playing them in a formation(s) that will get the best out of them?
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

This is potentially very serious now (stating the bleeding obvious) I fully expected Knill to be on his way today and that is obviously not going to happen now probably before Crimbo or indeed at all. Not sure what's happened to the "Do the board owe the fans" thread but it appears to have disappeared.

On reflection that thread isn't as offensive or daft as I first thought. The board do owe some sort of reasonable explanation particularly in view of our current state and their intentions and particularly on the day they advertise the "half season ticket". Whilst I appreciate they always want what's best for the club how do they expect supporters to invest in the ticket when they feel so disheartened? I was prepared to buy the half season ticket knowing full well I wouldn't be attending all the games to "do my bit" but I will not being so whilst AK remains in charge.

Yes the board do owe the fans an explanation as to their intentions, for saying or doing nothing only promotes speculation and is now alienating the support.
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 02 Dec 2013, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.