Should the club sack Alan Knill?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Torquay United sack Alan Knill?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 105

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Also let's not forget that Alan has brought in quite a few players both on loan and on contracts too and although I appreciate how tough it is to entice players here, I'm under the impression that he has been backed by the board. When you also consider he has farmed out a few players himself (presumably we are still paying some of their wages when they could be doing a job for us), consider that none of the players who left in the summer went for a fee and also consider that the club has not received any extra income from any of the cup competitions this season due to first round exits then on balance I don't think Alan can have any complaints.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: Well I did and it was not lukewarm, and you were the only person to reply tomogull! Bit more research needed perhaps?

PS. It was a bit confusing to work out last time, so if you are going to quote me again please try to get my bit inside the box ;-)
Sorry Stefano - must have been a few days ago on another thread and memory doesn't work after 24 hours. As for confusing, that comes with this age thing as well ! :Oops:

I respect your views and you have to admire the loyalty of Teeboo. It's like a game of poker - stick or twist. If we stick, will things get better under Knill? If we twist, will a new manager make a difference? Generally, we were reasonably content with the performance against Plymouth and nobody really expected us to get anything at Scunthorpe so do we stagger on and hope? The finance implications must be a huge issue as Teeboo says and it's tough on AK that he and his family have moved down here. But at the end of the day, it's the future of Torquay United that overrides everything else. Perhaps as other posters 'in the know' have already hinted, the die has already been cast.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He [almost] certainly didn't know on Saturday.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

This is the ideal time to change the manager if you are going to do it!

2 week break, get someone in before the Xmas games. But no news so I'm getting the feeling it isn't going to happen. So if it doesn't happen NOW we have probably got him for a very very long time. Because I reiterate, we definitely won't have the money to pay him off when we are in the conference.

Its very depressing. And I'm not going until Knill is gone. Ive seen so much sh*the over the years I can't go and watch one of the worst teams to represent Torquay. I don't actually mind seeing more loses than wins, but its the way we are losing and the very poor decisions by the manager I can't take.
Last edited by Neal on 03 Dec 2013, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Or yesterday.............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Just thinking - could it be that, as it was reported the players had yesterday off and were not training, AK has already been told but that he wants to tell the players personally and say goodbye today? Clutching at straws time!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Neal wrote:This is the ideal time to change the manager if you are going to do it!

2 week break, get someone in before the Xmas games. But no news so I'm getting the feeling it isn't going to happen. So if it doesn't happen NOW we have probably got him for a very very long time. Because I reiterate, we definitely won't have the money to pay him off when we are in the conference.

Its very depressing. And I'm not going until Knill is gone. Ive seen so much sh*the over the years I can't go and watch one of the worst teams to represent Torquay. I don't actually mind seeing more loses than wins, but its the way we are losing and the very poor decisions by the manager I can't take.
I'm beginning to worry the same. There are absolutely NO FOOTBALLING REASONS for persisting with one of the worst managers we have EVER had. It must be financial. But the club is going to take a massive hit in income by keeping him. The gates will reduce rapidly, as there is simply no point in going now and when we are in the Conference the losses in income we will incur will be colossal in comparison to what it would cost to get rid of Knill. Basically, if the club stick with Knill, then it is the death-knell for TUFC. He has shown himself incapable of turning this around, so relegation is pretty much a formality with him in charge.

Just what is going through the minds of those in charge? Is it a stubbornness not to show they were wrong in appointing this inadequate football manager? Are they really so stupid or naive that they think Alan Knill might actually turn this around? Are they unconcerned that they are alienating the supporters? Because it will soon only be season-ticket holders (of which, unfortunately, I am one) and Knill cheerleaders like Matt, who will be left.

In the past, such as the start of Buckle's second season and Ling's first season when we went 8 games without a win, the board did well not to succumb to the pressure of some supporters and fire the manager. This is different. It is not like those times at all. Alan Knill is not going to arrest this slide. He rolls the dice each week with about as much strategical insight as a five year playing ludo, repeatedly rolling the dice and hoping for a 6.

Why anyone should fork out £20 to watch the club when the club is pretty much committing footballing suicide is beyond me. I suppose supporters need to make their feelings very plain at the next game, if Alan Knill is somehow, inexplicably, still our manager.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with hector.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Your correct Hector no footballing reason at all could be argued.

It must be financial. And maybe of course its worse than we are aware of. But even if it is. The point is these rolling contracts are unaffordable to a club like Torquay. All these managers in the end are "finger in the air" appointments in my opinion. So please no more of them. If a prospective manager demands one tell him to get lost.

You can't tell me that given all the so called professionals involved in football that you cant find one with more reasonable contract demands
TUST MEMBER
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

So the 'inside' information suggests Knill moves to Director of Football but what happens to Brass? Knill's move allows a new man to take over team affairs. So what are the options here?
1. 'Promote' from within? Geoff Harrop has taken our youth side to the 3rd Round of the FA Youth Cup with a tie against Arsenal. Surely a great feat. He could be assisted by Robbie Hererra who had a great career.
2. Bring in a young, inexperienced manager who's an ex-player? What about Alex Russell whose name has cropped up on previous occasions?
3. Surely poaching a manager already in post somewhere else is out of the question for financial reasons.
What a dilemma!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

nickbrod wrote:So the 'inside' information suggests Knill moves to Director of Football but what happens to Brass? Knill's move allows a new man to take over team affairs. So what are the options here?
1. 'Promote' from within? Geoff Harrop has taken our youth side to the 3rd Round of the FA Youth Cup with a tie against Arsenal. Surely a great feat. He could be assisted by Robbie Hererra who had a great career.
2. Bring in a young, inexperienced manager who's an ex-player? What about Alex Russell whose name has cropped up on previous occasions?
3. Surely poaching a manager already in post somewhere else is out of the question for financial reasons.
What a dilemma!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Wonga are after him as "Director of Loans"!!!
Last edited by wodger of awabia on 03 Dec 2013, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

So far this season we have achieved 15 points from 19 games, or 0.8 points a game. In order to avoid the drop, we need a minimum of 37 points from the remaining 27 games, or 1.4 points a game, which is mid-table form such as that of Wimbledon, Exeter and Hartlepool.

This means we must, at the very least, get 10 wins and 7 draws (with 10 defeats), or 11 wins and 4 draws (and 12 defeats), or 12 wins and 1 draw (with 14 defeats), from those 27 games.

Looking at our individual players as compared with those of the aforementioned clubs, we should be able, at least in theory, to compete and to win those essential points. As far as form and performance on the pitch is concerned, it's not even a question of budgets and finances. Other managers have maintained this level of achievement in their teams on minimal budgets. It's quite possible to do the same at Plainmoor, at least in theory.

The problem is, it needs to be more than possible. It's essential. The turnaround that's required here is (to use a word that's become a cliche in football) massive. And the big question is, can this be achieved if Alan Knill remains in charge? It's possible. But is it likely? Would a new boss be more likely to save the day?

It's a big gamble for the club, and a big decision, as has been said, to stick or twist. To weigh the cost replacing Knill against the loss of future income if the club were to be relegated, and if necessary re-organise it's finances to pay for it's gamble of Knill's appointment. The supporters here have, overwhelmingly, made their opinions known. It is said that the observer sees most of the game. If so, those involved at all levels in the running of the club and the squad may do well to heed the views of those supporters.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Good post Gullscorer,,

in short do something or do nothing, depends on if they want our support financially or if they already know the position is unsaveable in terms of finances?

Do something, preferably now or do nothing and I think we get the message.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Gullscorer wrote:So far this season we have achieved 15 points from 19 games, or 0.8 points a game. In order to avoid the drop, we need a minimum of 37 points from the remaining 27 games, or 1.4 points a game, which is mid-table form such as that of Wimbledon, Exeter and Hartlepool.

This means we must, at the very least, get 10 wins and 7 draws (with 10 defeats), or 11 wins and 4 draws (and 12 defeats), or 12 wins and 1 draw (with 14 defeats), from those 27 games.

Looking at our individual players as compared with those of the aforementioned clubs, we should be able, at least in theory, to compete and to win those essential points. As far as form and performance on the pitch is concerned, it's not even a question of budgets and finances. Other managers have maintained this level of achievement in their teams on minimal budgets. It's quite possible to do the same at Plainmoor, at least in theory.

The problem is, it needs to be more than possible. It's essential. The turnaround that's required here is (to use a word that's become a cliche in football) massive. And the big question is, can this be achieved if Alan Knill remains in charge? It's possible. But is it likely? Would a new boss be more likely to save the day?

It's a big gamble for the club, and a big decision, as has been said, to stick or twist. To weigh the cost replacing Knill against the possible loss of future income if the club were to be relegated, and if necessary re-organise it's finances to pay for it's gamble of Knill's appointment. The supporters here have, overwhelmingly, made their opinions known. It is said that the observer sees most of the game. If so, those involved at all levels in the running of the club and the squad may do well to heed the views of those supporters.
I believe that it is a very easy (although possibly costly ) decision for the board, it is not as if we are 4 or 5 points above the drop zone, & the fans are mildly displeased. No doubt they are well aware that we are deep in the sh#t & Knill is not going to get us out of it, he is also very unpopular with the fans. There can only be one possible solution. His position as manager is totally untenable!.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I didn't say it's a difficult decision, nor an easy decision. I said it's a big decision. An easy one to make for many fans, no doubt, but, with so much at stake, certainly and indisputably a big decision for the club.