Should the club sack Alan Knill?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Torquay United sack Alan Knill?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 105

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

DevonYellow wrote:Thought it might be nice to throw in a smidgen of positivity. Quote from caretaker scunny manager Russ Wilcox:

"It's a tough situation for Torquay, but they certainly don't look like a relegation team to me.

"Of the three games we've played since I've been in charge, this has been up there as the toughest of them."
If you were there then he's lying. If you weren't then if it makes you feel better believe it. :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

matt is totally correct in what he said until the club have information to share regarding the manager position why should they make any statement. They have the right to hire and fire at there disposal .Most people seam to think that the managers job is untenable can i ask why its untenable we are bottom struggling and looking like a conference side but we arnt dead we still have a chance to rectify things try getting behind the club and team for the next game and see where that gets us. As for the club issuing statements well in its self the club are issuing a statement by saying nothing they are saying alan knill is our manager until we tell you different good enough for me
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Jerry wrote: No it wouldn't.

All that would happen is that the unacceptable abuse that has been heaped on the manager would be transfered to the board for their perceived incompetence in not bowing to the demands of hysterical fans.

Anyway, as everyone knows, the "vote of confidence" from a board is usually the death knell for a manager so any such statement would be seen by some to effectively signal the end of his time here.
You're probably right to a large extent Jerry I admit. It's sheer frustration and concern and we all just would like to know the truth, like a lot of things though I suppose it's not that simple. :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Stefano, we agree to disagree. For me the club is failing badly. AK's record as manager of the Gulls is shockingly bad. Yes, somebody has to be bottom, but not us please, why accept failure so readily? It isn't true to say that any manager would struggle with the resources available at Torquay. Over the past years we have had managers that have achieved FAR more than Knill with the same resources.

As you say we have some decent players at the club, enough decent players to achieve much better than bottom. Why then are we bottom? It is the manager not getting the best out of the players, that is why. And for that reason he must go.

The atmosphere at home games is truly awful, Knill must dread walking out to the dugout. That is why the club must say something to the fans. Saying nothing suggests that they have no solution other than to sit on their hands and that is just going to make the fans more angry and unhappy. I agree that bland statements of support for the manager mean little, but acknowledgement of the fans' feelings is essential.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

oh the board should do this or do that.....some on here talk bo**ocks.

if the board decide to fire him then they make an announcement. if they arnt going to, why should they tell us that.

if you look at the managers that have been fired the last week or so, none of them have had the vote of confidence - so why should

our board be any different.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Jerry wrote: No it wouldn't.

All that would happen is that the unacceptable abuse that has been heaped on the manager would be transfered to the board for their perceived incompetence in not bowing to the demands of hysterical fans.

Anyway, as everyone knows, the "vote of confidence" from a board is usually the death knell for a manager so any such statement would be seen by some to effectively signal the end of his time here.
Roll on the vote of confidence then.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

They won't make an announcement until the new manager has been appointed! Boards don't make sacking announcements. I would guess that they are still talking to the candidates & will appoint later this week.
I really can't believe that they still have faith in Knill.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

wodger of awabia wrote:They won't make an announcement until the new manager has been appointed! Boards don't make sacking announcements. I would guess that they are still talking to the candidates & will appoint later this week.
Apart from the seven other boards of clubs who sacked their managers this week :}

I see Malky Mackay has come out today and criticised all the sackings and short termism in football - whilst I normally tend to agree with this sentiment - it's different when the players look clueless every week and your club are bottom of the football league staring at conference football.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

wodger of awabia wrote:They won't make an announcement until the new manager has been appointed! Boards don't make sacking announcements. I would guess that they are still talking to the candidates & will appoint later this week.
You are almost certainly wrong-they would only interview candidates following the manager being sacked and the post advertised.
Neither of which appears to be happening....................yet.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

Behind-the-Gulls wrote: You are almost certainly wrong-they would only interview candidates following the manager being sacked and the post advertised.
Neither of which appears to be happening....................yet.
The didn't advertise for the last manager did they? & they announced that Knill was appointed & Ling sacked at the same time. I think that they have most likely phoned a few suitable candidates......of course this is only a guess.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

If we haven't sacked him by the end of January I think we should keep him for next season in the Conference :-D
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

kevgull wrote:If we haven't sacked him by the end of January I think we should keep him for next season in the Conference :-D
Ditto the season after in the Conference South! :lol: :lol:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Thing is, a statement issued when there is nothing to say will say, well, nothing.
It will be empty, cliché ridden and full of nothing but stating the obvious. It could only say that we're not doing very well, we're trying to resolve it and that Knill hasn't been sacked.
They'd then be criticised for issuing a meaningless statement. What people here are going to want is assurances and promises and information which no business would reasonably release. They want to hear that Knill has three games to save his job, that he'll get the boot next time we lose. That simply will not happen for about 1,000,001 reasons.

The statement we all want: "Alan's gone, Warnock's here, Thea's chucked a cool mil at the problem and we're signing Ronaldo." simply won't materialise, so please, stop kidding yourselves and just accept that, when they have something to tell us, they'll tell us.

Matt.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 03 Dec 2013, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Just found out they can't sack him he's a protected species by all account red squirrels are protected. :rules:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:Thing is, a statement issued when there is nothing to say will say, well, nothing.
It will be empty, cliché ridden and full of nothing but stating the obvious. It could only say that we're not doing very well, we're trying to resolve it and that Knill hasn't been sacked.
They'd then be criticised for issuing a meaningless statement. What people here are going to want is assurances and promises and information which no business would reasonably release. They want to hear that Knill has three games to save his job, that he'll get the boot next time we lose. That simply will not happen for about 1,000,001 reasons.

The statement we all want: "Alan's gone, Warnock's here, Thea's chucked a cool mil at the problem and we're signing Ronaldo." simply won't materialise, so please, stop kidding yourselves and just accept that, when they have something to tell us, they'll tell us.

Matt.
See the bit I highlighted and underlined. That's all anyone wants. No one is stupid enough to think Thea is going to chuck a million or Warnock is coming. But getting rid of Knill? Not wildly fantastical, just sensible. Keeping Knill is as barmy as anyone thinking we might sign Ronaldo. Absolutely, senseless.