Club Statement

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yes Stefano I did include the conference years as Matt only talked of years we hadn't been in Div.4. So I was technically correct although maybe not in the context of the conversation. :na:
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

words on here are different to comments like f off and die knill just one example that came out of a lad no more the 16 years of age on sat or mansell go back to playing with nicos .... you f retard get my drift of course we are all entitled to our opinions I am a man who ownes a company that employees 35 people i go to work and run my company if my workers where subjected to comments like that from my customers would i accept it not a chance they would no longer be customers ok football is a bit different i do accept that however how long is it going to be until one of our players jumps into the pop side and snaps. some of our fans need to realize that our players are working men trying to feed there familys like the rest of us they have bills mortgages the same they arnt on millions of pounds they are league 2 football players fans could do well to remember that
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

teeboo100 wrote:words on here are different to comments like f off and die knill just one example that came out of a lad no more the 16 years of age on sat or mansell go back to playing with nicos .... you f retard get my drift of course we are all entitled to our opinions I am a man who ownes a company that employees 35 people i go to work and run my company if my workers where subjected to comments like that from my customers would i accept it not a chance they would no longer be customers ok football is a bit different i do accept that however how long is it going to be until one of our players jumps into the pop side and snaps. some of our fans need to realize that our players are working men trying to feed there familys like the rest of us they have bills mortgages the same they arnt on millions of pounds they are league 2 football players fans could do well to remember that
Absolutely agree with that Teeboo, abuse like that is unforgiveable. I would like to think that sensible fans would face up to the idiots who behave like this.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Jerry wrote: Yes Stefano I did include the conference years as Matt only talked of years we hadn't been in Div.4. So I was technically correct although maybe not in the context of the conversation. :na:
Good ;-)
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

**TUFC PRESS RELEASE**

"We spent all the money getting rid of Mr Ling and Mr Taylor as the fanbase requested"

**END**
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Darryl
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Darryl »

As someone who has worked at TUFC on the media side of things I can perhaps give some background on 'club statements'. Any football club (or business in general) is only likely to send forth a statement to the public if a particular situation has changed or if the inner politics of the club are served better by those with the power to issue such statements decide to 'go public'. A few seasons ago I was involved in a three-way conversation with two former employees on the football side of things on whether a statement should be issued on a team based topic. The older (wiser?) head of the three of us decided that it would not be in the best interests of the club to issue any statement although it was a matter that directly affected the team out on the pitch and, it could be argued, therefore was in the interests of the paying public. The point I am trying to make (and has already probably been pointed out in a different way in previous posts) is that just because a statement is not made at a certain time it simply does not mean that conversations covering all angles of said situation are not taking place. Don't forget that there is a group of directors very rarely (if ever) all in the same room at the same time and while Thea has a 'support base' of a small sub-group of directors beneath her it doesn't mean they are going to make any decision for the long term without consulting their colleagues which can and does take time.

Those of you who know me will be aware that it was Kerry, my wife, who was made redundant a short while ago but I have not posted on the site to grind any axes. In fact I would, as someone who has watched United since I was 11, back those who are asking supporters to back the club, not necessarily individuals within its working structure, but Torquay United FC. Some of you will know as well as I do that there are characters at Plainmoor who do not deserve the role that they carry out and are basically on an ego trip but you are back on the inner politics bandwagon again with that and it occurs at every club to be honest. A couple of wins, however lucky, can change things on the pitch very quickly but it is off the pitch where the real challenge for TUFC exists. Commercially it always has to be 'eyeballs out' 12 months of the year and the club has made no secret that further new investment is vital. These and other off-pitch issues are actually more important for the long-term future of the club than what happens on the field of play but it will always be the manager and players that take the abuse because they are the public face of the club, that's football I suppose. Don't underestimate the non-football side of things (it's a bit like the duck on the water - on the surface all looks fine while under the water it's a struggle to stay afloat!!). The future of TUFC will be decided away from the pitch and, correctly, in privacy. The correct decisions may or may not be made and those that make them will ultimately have to put their heads above the trench and accept the consequences but until that happens just support whoever is stood in the dug-out and whoever is on the pitch......
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Cheers, certainly good to get an insight like that :)
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

So, Darryl, are you saying that, as supporters of Torquay United FC, we have bigger (Financial?) things to worry about, regarding our club, than the fact that we are bottom of the whole football league? Are you suggesting that our perilous posision is, in fact, the least of our worries?

Sorry, not having a go, just reading between the lines of post that you have submitted.
Last edited by diamondgirl on 04 Dec 2013, 16:15, edited 2 times in total.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

diamondgirl wrote:So, Darryl, are you saying that, as supporters of Torquay United FC, we have bigger (Financial?) things to worry about, regarding our club, than the fact that we are bottom of the whole football league? Are you suggesting that our perilous posision is, in fact, the least of our worries?

Sorry, not having a go, just reading between the lines of post that you have submitted.
:goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Very well put, Daryl. I've been mentioning things like you allude to for quite some time but it will always fall on deaf ears where most fans are concerned. I sympathise with both yourself and Kerry because I know a fair bit of the conditions you both had to work under. Good luck in the future to the both of you.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yet another voice of sanity whose realistic and knowledgeable sounds will be drowned out all too soon by the repetitive white noise of the Football Management 2013 crowd who simply cannot comprehend the realities of the game beyond the 90 minutes on the pitch.

I echo Dave's sentiments. The loss of Kerry from the staff was dreadful for any number of reasons and I know that it affected the better members of the remaining club staff as the loss of a limb affects an amputee.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Darryl
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Darryl »

diamondgirl wrote:So, Darryl, are you saying that, as supporters of Torquay United FC, we have bigger (Financial?) things to worry about, regarding our club, than the fact that we are bottom of the whole football league? Are you suggesting that our perilous posision is, in fact, the least of our worries?

That's a fair question but please don't read too much between the lines. Obviously, when I worked at the club and, even more obviously, after I left I was rightly not privy to the inner financial situation of the club. I was though working at Plainmoor during the Chris Roberts era and I can categorically state that I doubt that level of financial suicide will ever be repeated at Plainmoor again!
In my original post I wanted to just stress that although emotions are running high for many, the long term future can be secured regardless even if a drop to the Skrill happens. I have seen it asked on other posts around this forum about the business acumen of the directors, well some of them are more than capable of handling a business such as TUFC and I'm sure plans are in place for a promotion, stay where you are or a relegation, whatever occurs. Believe me, there are many football clubs operating in a higher Football League position who are in a far more perilous financial situation than Torquay United and I refer you back to the 'duck on the water' scenario in my earlier post!
I certainly don't mean to sound like a glass half empty kind of person but there are probably 92 other professional football clubs within the pyramid who have bigger attendances and bigger income streams than those at Plaimoor and while that should not mean a perennial struggle it sure means a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck is needed along the way each season, along with the odd injection of cash.
My wife and two other members of staff were made redundant, regardless of the right and wrongs and my opinion of that, what do you think that does for the mind set of those staff that remain. It doesn't mean any of them will lose their jobs but, for some of them, there is a self-perceived shadow hanging over them and coupled with the team on the pitch having a rough time the mood can be, at times, nothing short of depressing (don't forget I was at the club when we did make the drop, it was gut-wrenching).
I have fallen out of love with TUFC, for personal reasons, and I should also be honest and say that I am a massive, lifelong supporter of Ipswich Town (a glutton for punishment, I know) but if you will allow me to suggest that, at the danger of repeating myself, supporting the club doesn't mean you endorse the decisions of the manager, directors or even the players. TUFC is an entity in itself to be cherished by those of you who can see past the odd dodgy substitution, fall out between player and manager and bizarre ticketing arrangement by the admin team or whatever else you see going 'wrong'.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Very interesting to read Daryl, thankyou. I must admit I don't really know anything about how our club works from behind the scenes so reading your post has been interesting.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Darryl wrote: That's a fair question but please don't read too much between the lines. Obviously, when I worked at the club and, even more obviously, after I left I was rightly not privy to the inner financial situation of the club. I was though working at Plainmoor during the Chris Roberts era and I can categorically state that I doubt that level of financial suicide will ever be repeated at Plainmoor again!
In my original post I wanted to just stress that although emotions are running high for many, the long term future can be secured regardless even if a drop to the Skrill happens. I have seen it asked on other posts around this forum about the business acumen of the directors, well some of them are more than capable of handling a business such as TUFC and I'm sure plans are in place for a promotion, stay where you are or a relegation, whatever occurs. Believe me, there are many football clubs operating in a higher Football League position who are in a far more perilous financial situation than Torquay United and I refer you back to the 'duck on the water' scenario in my earlier post!
I certainly don't mean to sound like a glass half empty kind of person but there are probably 92 other professional football clubs within the pyramid who have bigger attendances and bigger income streams than those at Plaimoor and while that should not mean a perennial struggle it sure means a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck is needed along the way each season, along with the odd injection of cash.
My wife and two other members of staff were made redundant, regardless of the right and wrongs and my opinion of that, what do you think that does for the mind set of those staff that remain. It doesn't mean any of them will lose their jobs but, for some of them, there is a self-perceived shadow hanging over them and coupled with the team on the pitch having a rough time the mood can be, at times, nothing short of depressing (don't forget I was at the club when we did make the drop, it was gut-wrenching).
I have fallen out of love with TUFC, for personal reasons, and I should also be honest and say that I am a massive, lifelong supporter of Ipswich Town (a glutton for punishment, I know) but if you will allow me to suggest that, at the danger of repeating myself, supporting the club doesn't mean you endorse the decisions of the manager, directors or even the players. TUFC is an entity in itself to be cherished by those of you who can see past the odd dodgy substitution, fall out between player and manager and bizarre ticketing arrangement by the admin team or whatever else you see going 'wrong'.
I agree with that point. There are some who think you have to go along with whatever the club decides. Otherwise you are not being a supporter. But at times, those running the club, like in many other organisations, need to be held to account and questioned.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

:ping:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com