Should the club sack Alan Knill?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Torquay United sack Alan Knill?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 105

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A list of managers to bring out every supporter who witnessed those times in a cold sweat. The problem is that the current team appears to be actually worse which is in itself a damning indictment.
I accept that we cannot afford to sack Knill - because that must be the only reason why he is still here.
So we might as well give up because we are heading for the conference - we will be tailed off by January.
Darryl
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Darryl »

Any football club director, owner or chairperson worth their salt, no matter how big or small the club, should take note of two particular factors: 1-The relationship between the playing squad and the management & 2-The attendances at home games. Once the first one has broken down and the second one is going down it's time to iron the 'mutual consent' trousers (I'm not suggesting either has happened at Plainmoor!).
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Darryl wrote:Any football club director, owner or chairperson worth their salt, no matter how big or small the club, should take note of two particular factors: 1-The relationship between the playing squad and the management & 2-The attendances at home games. Once the first one has broken down and the second one is going down it's time to iron the 'mutual consent' trousers (I'm not suggesting either has happened at Plainmoor!).

There are strong rumours that suggest no.1 is true, while no.2 is inevitable if things stay as they are.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I'm afraid it's going to be the winter of discontent you can't get rid of red squirrels. :'(
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

brucie wrote:A list of managers to bring out every supporter who witnessed those times in a cold sweat. The problem is that the current team appears to be actually worse which is in itself a damning indictment.
I accept that we cannot afford to sack Knill - because that must be the only reason why he is still here.
So we might as well give up because we are heading for the conference - we will be tailed off by January.
Yes, but you are forgetting that Knill is bigger than the club & the Board & we will have one of the best grounds in the Conference with a new stand & training facilities.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Darryl wrote:Any football club director, owner or chairperson worth their salt, no matter how big or small the club, should take note of two particular factors: 1-The relationship between the playing squad and the management & 2-The attendances at home games. Once the first one has broken down and the second one is going down it's time to iron the 'mutual consent' trousers (I'm not suggesting either has happened at Plainmoor!).
Yes, but what about,

3 Position in the League table.
4 Customer satisfaction & Match Day experience
5 Ability to attract new investment ( would you consider TUFC a good investment at the moment? )
6 The already substantial investment in better facilities ( new stand & training ground ) which will not be required in the Conference
7 The in-fighting at Board room level ( to sack or not to sack ) which has probably already started.
Darryl
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Darryl »

wodger of awabia wrote: Yes, but what about,

3 Position in the League table.
4 Customer satisfaction & Match Day experience
5 Ability to attract new investment ( would you consider TUFC a good investment at the moment? )
6 The already substantial investment in better facilities ( new stand & training ground ) which will not be required in the Conference
7 The in-fighting at Board room level ( to sack or not to sack ) which has probably already started.
A good post and I will try and answer your questions!

3 - This will be a direct result, eventually, of point 1 (I'm not saying it has already happened though!)
4 - If a team is near the top of the league and flying customer satisfaction and match day experience becomes less of an issue, especially in the boardroom, (trust me, I have witnessed this first hand), although I accept that is important to a great many people.
5 - Clearly a team at the bottom of the Football League won't stand out as an obvious investment choice but again point 1 will indirectly influence this as the team's performance will potentially attract new support and sponsorship etc.
6 - Will Plainmoor ever be full in League 2? Very, very rarely and the investment has been done and you are not going to knock it all done simply because of a relegation.
7 - I couldn't comment but anyone pro the manager on the board will have to start thinking seriously when the gate receipts start falling away.

Just as an aside: An artificial pitch, while costing a fortune to begin with would make a massive difference to lower league clubs' potential revenue streams.....
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Plastic pitches or Improved performances?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Darryl
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Darryl »

kevgull wrote:Plastic pitches or Improved performances?
Artificial pitch every time. Improved performances are a short term thing, eventually they will stop, maybe next month, next season, whenever. I would only sack the manager if his relationship with the players has gone tits up and consequently performances are affecting the attendances. If the players and management are as one but the results are not great then I would back the manager 100%.
If a club is in a position to invest in other income streams away from 23 Saturday's of the year then, in my opinion, they are doing the correct thing rather than spending fortunes hiring and firing managers of pretty much similar ability i.e. they have some form of success at one club and fail at another. That is lower league management.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

The leaders of League 2 are currently being played off the park by mid table Conference side Gateshead. Just shows we are bottom of a very poor division this season. Anyone in this division is beatable with the right work ethic and coaching. If we dont win our next match I cant see how AK can stay.
Tust member 191
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Mattpuma wrote:The leaders of League 2 are currently being played off the park by mid table Conference side Gateshead. Just shows we are bottom of a very poor division this season. Anyone in this division is beatable with the right work ethic and coaching. If we dont win our next match I cant see how AK can stay.
Are they? It's 0-0 with 15 minutes to go. I can think of more convincing ways to play somebody off the park! ;-)
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Mattpuma »

If you were watching it like I am you would see that Oxford are awful and Gateshead are all over them but dont have a striker. Kitson in particular is terrible.
Tust member 191
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Mattpuma »

The point is that a club with sub 1000 gates can produce a team who can compete with the best in League 2 so our bleating about our 2300 gates is a bit of a misnomer. A team can be created without spending the most money. That is the skill of a good manager.
Tust member 191
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Mattpuma wrote:The point is that a club with sub 1000 gates can produce a team who can compete with the best in League 2 so our bleating about our 2300 gates is a bit of a misnomer. A team can be created without spending the most money. That is the skill of a good manager.
:goodpost:

One of the most best things I have read on here for ages.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Also a LOT to do with the fact that the Gateshead players would be up for it - it's the FA Cup, as good as a final for them....strange things happen in cup competitions.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com