Should the club sack Alan Knill?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Torquay United sack Alan Knill?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 105

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Mattpuma wrote:The point is that a club with sub 1000 gates can produce a team who can compete with the best in League 2 so our bleating about our 2300 gates is a bit of a misnomer. A team can be created without spending the most money. That is the skill of a good manager.
Some managers can get average players to play above their ability.

Others, somehow, end up with players performing well below their best. Which do we have?
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Also a LOT to do with the fact that the Gateshead players would be up for it - it's the FA Cup, as good as a final for them....strange things happen in cup competitions.

Well we certainly were not up for it in the FA Cup. Zero efforts on goal and a dismal limp performance. Players should be up for it in EVERY game. Again the job of the manager.
Tust member 191
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

chunkygull wrote: :goodpost:

One of the most best things I have read on here for ages.
When I read this I thought the board had changed their minds! :S
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Mattpuma wrote:The leaders of League 2 are currently being played off the park by mid table Conference side Gateshead. Just shows we are bottom of a very poor division this season. Anyone in this division is beatable with the right work ethic and coaching. If we dont win our next match I cant see how AK can stay.

good points Matt - unfortunately Oxford have won 1-0! :@ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Mattpuma »

Yes very clever. Unfortunately the facts remain Gateshead drew twice in 90 minutes home and away against Oxford. Anyone who thinks we can match that at the moment is seriously deluded.
Tust member 191
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Mattpuma wrote:Yes very clever. Unfortunately the facts remain Gateshead drew twice in 90 minutes home and away against Oxford. Anyone who thinks we can match that at the moment is seriously deluded.
keep yer knickers on Matt.............. :rofl:

yeah they actually matched them for 115mins........pity the game lasted 120.......................
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Mattpuma »

I go commando!

Seriously though they were by far the better side and Oxford got a spawny penalty. The point is that if they can compete then we as a vastly better resourced club than Gateshead should be able to as well!
Tust member 191
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry it's not a misnomer at all, as already pointed out by Scott, it was the F.A cup, every single year teams from the non-league out play there league counterparts, some times the minnows even win, put Gateshead in League 2 how many games would they win, how times would they compete in match's, not many would be the answer. The proof of the pudding is already in the conference.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry, just to add in 2008 F.A Cup Havant and Waterloovile won 0.1 away at Notts County before beating Swansea in the third round, then scored twice at Anfield, same year Forest Green won 0.3 away at Rotherham. So by the reckoning on here they should both have been at least League 1 sides.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Mattpuma »

As usual on this site people put words in your mouth. I never said Gateshead were the greatest team in the World and would storm League 2. It was merely an illustration that 11 players moulded into a team can match supposedly superior opposition. As we are always told we are minnows in this division I am just trying to say that with correct coaching and instilling of the requisite team spirit and will to win then we should be able to match teams in our league. But hey this forum is more about scoring points against each other than discussion. Back to the shadows for me.
Tust member 191
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Wow!! Where did that little outburst come from?!

Anyway, that's another 10 points for you Dave (forevertufc)
:devil:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

:goodpost:
Mattpuma wrote:As usual on this site people put words in your mouth. I never said Gateshead were the greatest team in the World and would storm League 2. It was merely an illustration that 11 players moulded into a team can match supposedly superior opposition. As we are always told we are minnows in this division I am just trying to say that with correct coaching and instilling of the requisite team spirit and will to win then we should be able to match teams in our league. But hey this forum is more about scoring points against each other than discussion. Back to the shadows for me.
TUST MEMBER
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

forevertufc wrote:put Gateshead in League 2 how many games would they win, how times would they compete in match's,.
couldn't be much worse than us, so I'd say about the same amount!
The gulls are going up
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes gullno4, exactly my point.

Mattpuma said..
The point is that a club with sub 1000 gates can produce a team who can compete with the best in League 2 so our bleating about our 2300 gates is a bit of a misnomer. A team can be created without spending the most money. That is the skill of a good manager.

I simply countered that view point and why Mattuma has seemed have got a little upset over that is beyond me, Gateshead's performances against Oxford prove absolutely nothing , it had nothing do with a skilful manager who has produced a team capable of competing with the best in League2 on gates of a 1000, and I never said Mattpuma had in any suggested that Gateshead were world beaters, all I suggested was if Gateshead were in league 2 with their 1000 gates, with their team and manager, they wouldn't compete in the bread and butter of 46 league 2 games with most teams in league 2.

All it did prove was the same thing that's happened pretty much since the start of the F.A cup, teams from the non-league are capable in a one off game and sometimes a replay of getting caught up in the magic of the cup and raising their game 10 fold, as the teams I've already pointed out, and we did in beating both Yeovil and Blackpool in the cup as a non-league side ourselves.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Anyone else think the clubs missed a trick here?

What I dread is a loss next Saturday and then knill gets sacked. This 2 week gap could have been used to find the right appointment!

If he went next week, we could be manager less for games vs Exeter Bristol and Plymouth .
Games we need the big attendances and excite people back to plainmoor!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!