Knill gone!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Despite the writing being on the wall for such a long time I have to say I'm surprised this decision was taken today as I expected him still to be in charge on Saturday. I know most of us feel this should have happened at least a month ago, but it gives the new man just under half a season to try and turn things around. Time is most certainly of the essence but if the board mess this one up again we've had it. All we can hope is that it is third time lucky! I imagine the aim will be to have someone in place for the Wimbledon game, it's fair to say it might be too late for whoever comes in but you never know in football - an Atkins-esque escape could be on the cards! The main thing is the negative nature of Knill's tenure is over and we can look forward. I'll be interested to see whether there will be any change on the playing front but I should imagine there won't be. I think a lot of us feel he didn't get the most out of the players at his disposal. The last few games has been a case in point, persisting with Karl Hawley when it is blindingly obvious Benyon should have been in the side instead.

I'm as sorry as anyone it didn't work out for Alan but the most important thing is the future of the club. I was expecting an 1,800 gate for Saturday - I hope now the board has taken the decision everyone who can get down to Plainmoor will back the club from now until the end of the season.
The original taunton_gull!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:sh*t! I have to go to Oxford now dressed as a woman! :-/

Funniest post of the Decade :)

PMSL
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
If anyone says they feel sympathy because a man is out of a job then you can bloody well p*ss off!! :na:
I do .... because I am a decent human being. Some of the things that have been posted in recent weeks about a man who was doing the best he could with extremely limited resources have been an absolute disgrace. Mr Knill was not an embarassment to our club. Many of our supporters(?) are! I only hope the new appointee manages to see an upturn in points on the board very quickly, or he / she (nothing in the rules to prevent a lady applying) will be vilified within about 5 games! :Oops:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Despite the outpouring of joy I have to agree with the decision but worry about the future financial implications two manager sackings in just over 6 months will cause.

Again I suspect we have to thank Thea for funding this change and I hope the decision rewards her and us with our league status come close of play on this season.

I also hope this does not spell the end for Mozika as he is only on a week to week contract and is known to be close to Knill.

I wish Alan all the best and hope he can find success elsewhere.
Last edited by Richinns on 02 Jan 2014, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Poetjanstie
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: K Nicholson

Post by Poetjanstie »

Hoo-bloody-ray ... I read a Scunthorpe blogger's account of what AK managed to achieve there, by sacking ten of their experienced players in the summer of 2012; he was sacked himself in October or November and the team were subsequently relegated. The writing on the wall should have been read a long time before his appointment in May 2013.

And what the hell is his problem with 'older' more experienced players (e.g. Kev Nicholson)??
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Poetjanstie wrote: And what the hell is his problem with 'older' more experienced players (e.g. Kev Nicholson)??
Completely inexcusable to play an injured Cruise because he wanted to freeze out Nicho.
TUST member 203
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Further to my post above and as I mentioned on another thread - hopefully this can be the start of the board taking stock of the overall management set up at Plainmoor. Perhaps those who seem to have invested very little yet have great influence will have the spotlight on them and they can be scrutinised for what they have actually been doing at the club over the last few seasons.
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

What is the problem with Nicholson?

He is a quite dreadful player, with a terrible attitude. Fair enough if it was just Knill but the board backed his decision due to how he has been. Either way Nicholson has to follow him out the door.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I agree exile, man management didn't seem to be Knill's thing but as far as I can see Nicho cut his nose to spite his face as soon as he was out of the side. He has been individually responsible for so many goals conceeded earlier in the season and there's no chance I would have him back in the team at the expense of Cruise, regardless of what he has achieved at the club previously. I'm sorry to say it but he has been finished as a league footballer for a long time. That's why the next appointment is so important, if we get someone who is weak and panders to the likes of Mansell and Nicholson we've had it for sure.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: I do .... because I am a decent human being. Some of the things that have been posted in recent weeks about a man who was doing the best he could with extremely limited resources have been an absolute disgrace. Mr Knill was not an embarassment to our club. Many of our supporters(?) are! I only hope the new appointee manages to see an upturn in points on the board very quickly, or he / she (nothing in the rules to prevent a lady applying) will be vilified within about 5 games! :Oops:
I feel some sympathy for him because he and his family have re-located to Devon and now, presumably, they will have to uproot again and move on. His hopes of getting another managerial job must be remote after his record at Scunthorpe and now Torquay. But Stefano, he may have been 'doing his best' but quite simply, his best was nowhere good enough. I can't comment about 'extremely limited resources' because I don't know, but there are managers at other clubs with limited resources who are doing okay. I think he has brought some useful players to the club - permanent signings and loan signings - but he just didn't seem to have the ability to turn them into a team that gelled or could compete.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: I feel some sympathy for him because he and his family have re-located to Devon and now, presumably, they will have to uproot again and move on. His hopes of getting another managerial job must be remote after his record at scunthorpe and now Torquay. But Stefano, he may have been 'doing his best' but quite simply, his best was nowhere good enough. I can't comment about 'extremely limited resources' because I don't know, but there are managers at other clubs with limited resources who are doing okay. I think he has brought some useful players to the club - permanent signings and loan signings - but he just didn't seem to have the ability to turn them into a team that gelled or could compete.
Nothing wrong with anything you say there in your post tomogull. It should be possible to express an opinion, as you have done, without disgraceful personal attacks on an individual (in this case the manager, but quite often it is players as well), and unfortunately this forum has been full of them in recent weeks. In fact there has been so much volume of disparaging posts that some have felt it necessary to start 26 threads on exactly the same subject! ;-)
Poetjanstie
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: K Nicholson

Post by Poetjanstie »

Let me tell you something you clearly do not know, Exiledgull, of all the people I've seen and met in football, any sport for that matter, Kevin Nicholson has the most professional, loyal and consistently dedicated approach to his game. He WANTS to play for this club; he always wants to play and he still has a lot to give.

Don't make personal comments about players, who you clearly don't know!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

The next managerial appointment may very well be the most important EVER in the history of the club. It is VITAL that time and research is spent on this appointment, with no rushing to secure someone immediately. In my opinion, what is needed is a person who can (i) keep firm discipline among the troops and, at the same time, inspire both confidence and their enjoyment of playing (ii) someone who is himself enthusiastic and ambitious (thus a younger man) and (iii) someone with playing experience at league level. As always the problem which will arise quickly will be that of finance. A good man MUST be appointed, for the future of the club is, at the moment, in peril.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Poetjanstie - why did he ask to go out on loan after being dropped for one match in that case?
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

well with knill gone he might get his chance!

Yeoman and lathrope to be recalled?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!