Who will it be? - Chris Hargreaves NEW MANAGER

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote: Alan Knill's 33/1 for the Cobblers job ! :rofl:
Brilliant! :rofl:
The original taunton_gull!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

CP Gull wrote:Leaving aside the more high profile (and therefore expensive) options out there, my personal favourite would be Steve Burr at Kidderminster. He is someone who deserves a crack at managing in the League having done a fantastic job with a number of clubs in non league and on a very low budget! Recently missed out on the FGR job and out of contract in the summer too, so may be a small amount of compo to be paid.

If the worst comes to the worst and we end up going down, well at least we would have what many people would consider to be the best Manager in non league football!

Really feel sorry for Knill, not helped undoubtedly by injuries, but I too had become a little alarmed at his inability to turn things around and much like after the interview he gave radio Devon after the scunthorpe defeat, I thought he sounded like a man who just didn't know how to get us out of this mess, a beaten man.

Steve Burr. Brilliant shout. Would be my first choice if I thought club would poach another clubs manager.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Well we all got the last 2 appointments wrong, and the appointment of Ling and Knill got everyone scrambling to Wikipedia so see who the hell they were ! If I am correct, I do not think any poster mentioned either name in the run up to these appointments.

However my guess this time around would certainly be Hargreaves, he was favourite for the Northampton job yesterday. He spoke to Northampton between Christmas and The New Year, so my guess is the board are trying to "Gazump" Northampton to get Hargreaves signature and this played a factor in Knill being released today as appose to after the Morecambe match.

I think hargreaves would without question be interested in the job and was a little "vulture like" in showing his face more frequently as the teams results got worse

In addition he was interviewed prior to Knills appointment, perhaps he was second choice at the time....but it does add up somewhat
Matt
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Matt »

Hargreaves would be a good choice at the end of the season. Right now we need somebody who's been there done it and is happy to accept a 5 month contract then leave. We can't make the same mistake we did with Knill and give the firefighter a full time deal. I do think that Hargreaves would be a good idea going forward, but if he comes in with us in the Skrill Premier he's going to be under immediate pressure for an instant return which would be a very difficult thing to do. I don't envy the board in making the next decision that's for sure!
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

People seem very keen to throw the names of ex-players into the managerial mix - Chris Hargreaves, Alex Russell, Kevin Hill & Sean Joyce.

So please don't leave out Matt Hockley or Steve Tully! :~D
Matt
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Matt »

BayGull wrote:People seem very keen to throw the names of ex-players into the managerial mix - Chris Hargreaves, Alex Russell, Kevin Hill & Sean Joyce.

So please don't leave out Matt Hockley or Steve Tully! :~D
I for one would love to see how many red cards a team put together by Hockley would pick up each month!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

HeavenAndHele wrote:Current odds on the Skybet website (the only one that isn't blocked at work...):
Geoff Harrop 3/1
Sean O'Driscoll 5/1
Martin Allen 6/1
Chris Hargreaves 8/1
Gary Megson 10/1
Keith Curle 10/1
Aidy Boothroyd 12/1
Kenny Veysey 12/1
Dean Holdsworth 14/1
Brian Laws 16/1
Kevin Blackwell 16/1
Paul Jewell 16/1
Paul Sturrock 16/1
Chris Kiwomya 20/1
Dean Saunders 20/1
Lee Hodges 20/1
Michael Appleton 20/1
Colin Lee 22/1
Robbie Herrera 25/1
Kevin Nicholson 28/1
Neil Warnock 33/1
Nick Barmby 33/1
Terry Connor 33/1
David Pougher 100/1 (due to his recent excellent promotion within the prediction league)

There's some names on there that actually frighten me. (last one excepted)
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

goodluckgull wrote:Also happy with Geoff Harrop to take over the Managers role. I wonder if he will be applying for the job ? If he gets us a few points in the next few games he could be a popular choice.
Promoting from within worked at Scunthorpe-sacked the manager and within a few weeks his former assistant manager has got them top of the league!
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

Dave_Pougher wrote:
There's some names on there that actually frighten me. (last one excepted)
If we're looking at the prediction league I might put myself forward =D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Sean O'Driscoll?!! NO!

Play pretty footy but no defence.

The first 12 or so other than Martin Allen are a big no no for me.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

If they are looking for a cross between Brian Clough and Paolo Di Canio then perhaps I could come in and do a job. :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

"Cough Cough" I've done my badges ... where the hell am i on that list? I must be 34-1

Bit surprised to see no Leroy on the list there - not likely i know but surely more so than Nick Barmby?

Greavsie for me - sorry boring answer
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:If they are looking for a cross between Brian Clough and Paolo Di Canio then perhaps I could come in and do a job. :)

You're more a cross between Betty Eggleton and Compo ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:clap:

eebyeck!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Some one posted earlier on about Saun joyce doing the job. But what about the guy I mentioned a little while ago. Gloucester City are a bigger club than Bideford and higher league club. Dave Mehew has proved hs can run a club on a shoestring with many problems due to them having to live away from their home cos of flooding years ago. Our last but one manager who was successfull came from there. A young guy if I remember right. Now what was his name. Something Like Leroy.
Mehew was a striker for Leeds who was released with John Scales way back. The pair were both signed by Bristol Rovers. Scales was eventually sold to the Wombles and featured in their meteoric rise and FA cup triumph. HE earned a big money move to Liverpool and then played for England.
Dave Mehew stayed with Rovers untill he left for Exeter on loan and played 7 games. he then joined Walsall and played 13 for them. he did sign for Northampton but never played for them. He hung up his boots and went non league entering managemant with Gloucester City. He is hamstrung but them not playing any of their games at home. having to lodge with Cheltenham Town. They as a result have little money. Despite this he managed to get them promoted in the 2009 season and they have gone on to do quite well since in the Conference north considering the resources he has. He seems to have had a knack of bringing in good players too.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843