Who will it be? - Chris Hargreaves NEW MANAGER

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

I've championed Hargreaves before, and I'll do it again. I do agree with those who suggest we need an experienced man within the club too. For me, we should be looking at Hargreaves as manager, and Bruce Rioch as DoF or some such role on a longer term basis. Warnock would be great, but unless it's for nothing or for very little, he'll not be interested, and won't be wanting to do it on a long term contract as he is interested in higher level management.
vinny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jordan Chappel

Post by vinny »

The thing is, we can barely afford one new man to come in, nevermind two...!!
vinny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jordan Chappel

Post by vinny »

The thing is, we can barely afford one new man to come in, nevermind two...!!
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

It's the only way to progress as a club.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I wouldn't be averse to Hargreaves, although part of me doesn't quite think the time is right. If the budget allowed, like someone else has mentioned, a Sturrock/Hargreaves partnership, with Hargreaves being groomed to take over, would be a fantastic managerial team.

Out of the candidates on that betting list (even though most are far-fetched), I would take O'Driscoll but cannot imagine he would come here, Martin Allen, Sturrock and Warnock. Michael Appleton seems to have got jobs without actually doing very well anywhere, and I cannot imagine him coming here and although listed and frequently mentioned, I would be gobsmacked if Warnock turned up - I can't see it.

Interestingly, Gary Megson came close to getting the job here once before but Mike Bateson appointed Eddie May instead, and then Megson went on to be successful with a number of clubs, including WBA. Not sure what has happened to Aidy Boothroyd. He seemed a very promising manager at one time but it seems to have gone wrong for him ever since he left Watford.

I hope people are not being serious when they mention the likes of Sean Joyce and Lee Hodges. It takes me back to a time when people used to bang on about Martyn Rogers every time we had a vacancy. We don't need or want someone who has been essentially managing at little more than local level for the last decade.

Also, I would urge the club not to go for Geoff Harrop, even if he gets off to a tremendous start. The dead cat bounce effect never lasts long and you often see caretaker managers who get the job, struggle once the jobs is permanently their's. I think that would be the case here.

Out of the candidates that are available or have been mentioned (including the far-fetched ones - although not stupidly far-fetched like say, AVB or someone) I would be happy with any of...

Steve Burr (has been successful wherever he has been and if we did end up going down, he would be our best chance of doing well in the Conference)
Paul Sturrock (with or without Hargreaves)
Martin Allen
Chris Hargreaves (although I have to admit, appointing him does make me a little nervous, so preferably with an old head to offer guidance)
Neil Warnock (extremely unlikely, I would imagine)
Bruce Rioch with someone like Hargreaves under him (mirroring the O'Farrell/Rioch partnership of 81/82) may offer some stability.

It is a shame the club didn't act sooner because this is a decision the club have to get right and not rush, yet they do need to be fairly swift so that there is at least some time for the new manager to assess the squad and use the transfer window.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Hargreaves and an experienced DOF? Yeah, that seems realistic, made of money as we are. Perhaps we should get Hargreaves an Assistant too, and a chauffeur?

Hargreaves would be a popular choice, and with someone experienced alongside him it could work. But it's folly to think we can afford that - having just paid off two managers.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
badamsincalifornia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by badamsincalifornia »

vinny wrote:Paul Buckle flies back into the UK next week........who knows.

Wouldnt be my choice.
Buckle is now married to Rebecca Lowe who hosts the Premier League Studio Show for NBC Sports here in the U.S. He's not going anywhere.....
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

You have only to look at Alan Knill's team which lost to Plymouth yesterday compared with Martin Ling's team which played Argyle last season to see the measure of our decline.

Come back, Martin Ling.. :-D
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I despair of an element of our support.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Paul Sturrock
7/4
Chris Hargreaves
11/4
Geoff Harrop
10/1
Martin Allen
10/1
Paul Buckle
10/1
Sean O'Driscoll
10/1
Aidy Boothroyd
14/1
Keith Curle
14/1
Kenny Veysey
14/1
Dean Holdsworth
16/1
Gary Megson
16/1
Brian Laws
20/1
Chris Kiwomya
20/1
Dean Saunders
20/1
Kevin Blackwell
20/1
Lee Hodges
20/1
Michael Appleton
20/1
Paul Jewell
20/1
Colin Lee
22/1
Robbie Herrera
25/1
Kevin Nicholson
28/1
Neil Warnock
33/1
Nick Barmby
33/1
Terry Connor
33/1
Helen Chamberlain

Latest odds, Hargreaves or more precise Northampton need to decide quickly as Chris is 1/3 for Northampton
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Fonda wrote:Hargreaves and an experienced DOF? Yeah, that seems realistic, made of money as we are. Perhaps we should get Hargreaves an Assistant too, and a chauffeur?

Hargreaves would be a popular choice, and with someone experienced alongside him it could work. But it's folly to think we can afford that - having just paid off two managers.
Well, those apparently 'in the know' were saying that the club wouldn't sack Knill because we couldn't afford it.

In my view, if Hargreaves was considered to be the future, I think it would be folly NOT to offer him some initial guidance, even if we are talking about little more than 4 months until the end of the season. Dump someone like Hargreaves in on his own, in this sort of scenario, and we could end up having to pay off a 3rd manager. It is all very well being penny-wise but not pound foolish.

The club, until a few weeks ago, were paying for a manager and an assistant. If they are going to go for a rookie coach, it is a possible recipe for disaster to drop the poor bloke, unaided with any additional staff or direction, in this situation.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Gullscorer wrote:Hargreaves and Shaun North..?
I would prefer Hargreaves with an old head to start with but at the same time, your suggestion is a very reasonable one, that I would be happy with.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

hector wrote: Well, those apparently 'in the know' were saying that the club wouldn't sack Knill because we couldn't afford it.

In my view, if Hargreaves was considered to be the future, I think it would be folly NOT to offer him some initial guidance, even if we are talking about little more than 4 months until the end of the season. Dump someone like Hargreaves in on his own, in this sort of scenario, and we could end up having to pay off a 3rd manager. It is all very well being penny-wise but not pound foolish.

The club, until a few weeks ago, were paying for a manager and an assistant. If they are going to go for a rookie coach, it is a possible recipe for disaster to drop the poor bloke, unaided with any additional staff or direction, in this situation.
You misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting Hargreaves and a DOF would be a bad choice - I'm suggesting we couldn't afford it. If Hargreaves was to get the job, it should be with some help. But as that is unlikely, financially, I'd discount him.