Who will it be? - Chris Hargreaves NEW MANAGER

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Need someone proven with a decent track record to take us through to the end of the season. This is not a time for a first manager's job unless with somebody to oversee them.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Agreed (Fonda), in the long term I think Hargreaves has the potential to be a good manager. However he is going to need some form of assistance and right now the club won't be able to provide that. Also, I'm not sure now is the time to be fielding a rookie manager. For all the talk, it's obvious nobody like Martin Allen or Warnock would take it - the closest we can probably get is Sturrock and for me that is who the club has to do everything it can to get. A deal until the end of the season would be the ideal scenario, the situation can then be reviewed in the summer and at that point it might be feasible to bring someone like CH on board. Whoever it is will find it a huge challenge, if the noises indicate Hargreaves, he would have my full support but I would fear for him.
The original taunton_gull!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Fonda wrote:Hargreaves could turn out to be an excellent manager. And if he was to get the job, I'd be excited to see his team play. But turning to him just indicates a complete lack of imagination yet again.
I think you are right.

I can imagine - seeing as they are a group of fans - that there are members of the board who think like fans...well some fans, at least.

And the clamour for an ex-player is often the knee-jerk response when a manager is sacked. It was similar when Martin Ling was appointed. At the time Alex Russell was linked with the job - you can imagine some board members saying they liked Russell as a player and he would make a good manager, perhaps because they liked him. Even after they appointed Ling, there was talk of Russell being part of his coaching staff.

Because so many (well, quite a few) supporters go on about Hargreaves, you can imagine it has swayed the board's thinking a little - and I reckon this is what happened when they appointed Knill. They probably read this forum and thought Knill would be a good appointment and that the fans would go berserk if they brought Ling back.

I think Hargreaves would have a unifying effect and he would be an appointment that would see club and supporters pull together. He would arrive with a lot of goodwill from supporters but then the same could have been said of Wes Saunders (although I think Hargreaves is an infinitely better candidate that Saunders ever was - he(Wes) was working in a clothes factory and playing for a pub team when he got the Torquay job - at least Hargreaves is coaching at a decent level).

If it is to be Hargreaves, I just hope that the club give him someone to work alongside, even if it is just for these next four months, or else they could finish what may be a promising managerial career at the outset.

I wouldn't mind if it was Hargreaves. He is an intelligent man, he is getting coaching experience. However, is he ruthless enough to drop his mate Mansell, when the time comes? He always comes across as a bit 'nice'.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

taunton_gull wrote:Agreed (Fonda), in the long term I think Hargreaves has the potential to be a good manager. However he is going to need some form of assistance and right now the club won't be able to provide that. Also, I'm not sure now is the time to be fielding a rookie manager. For all the talk, it's obvious nobody like Martin Allen or Warnock would take it - the closest we can probably get is Sturrock and for me that is who the club has to do everything it can to get. A deal until the end of the season would be the ideal scenario, the situation can then be reviewed in the summer and at that point it might be feasible to bring someone like CH on board. Whoever it is will find it a huge challenge, if the noises indicate Hargreaves, he would have my full support but I would fear for him.
:goodpost:

Exactly how I feel. My preference would be a Sturrock led management team for the next four months, with Hargreaves being groomed to take over at the end of the season.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Am I missing something here but we're all going on about Sturrock this and Hargreaves that but these blokes all need to be paid. I can't see Knill waiving any of his pay off so therefore presumably we now definitely DO have sod all left in the kitty. Or am I wide of the mark?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Fonda wrote:Ling, brilliant. If it wasn't so tragic, it'd be hilarious. Rely on a manager who would have got us relegated previously, to save us from relegation now - with another mans team. We'd be a laughing stock.

What is John Cornforth doing these days? Maybe he'd like another go?
Can I borrow your crystal ball please?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Sure, but it's just the same as the one everyone else is using this season.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

If it is to be Chris Hargreaves then how much compensation would Bournemouth want?.........A lot more than we got for Brass I guess.
AdamCan
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Downsey

Post by AdamCan »

Neil Warnock. For me he would give us the experience to keep us up with a player/assistant who could take over next season...get nicho his badges for an assistance job next season. ..that said not sure hes up for the challenge after being rejected by the blades fans and possibly snubbed for the Millwall job after offering them six months
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Neil Warnock wouldn't look twice at us. Forget him for a start.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

There will be some surprise nominations for the post I'm sure. Lets hope the pay off for AK doesn't hamper the boards decision too much.

Who's in the frame? I think you have all covered the obvious ones.
Oblivion!!!!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gullscorer wrote:Carl Fletcher.. :)

:O
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

nickbrod wrote:Need someone proven with a decent track record to take us through to the end of the season. This is not a time for a first manager's job unless with somebody to oversee them.
Allan Knill :devil: