Who will it be? - Chris Hargreaves NEW MANAGER

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Confirmed. This thread has descended into . . . . a parlour game.

:-/
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

The coach and experienced DoF is what we need. We have Mr.Candy and Mr.Phillips who are astute in their respective fields, but don't have the experience or know-how to run a football club. We were paying an experienced manager and a respected coach until a couple of weeks ago, add that to saving the money on AC or BP, and we'll be spending less.

I'm not expecting to get what we need, but merely stating what will move us forward longer term
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Can we look forward to several more weeks of this madness? You would struggle to make up some of the daft suggestions for the new manager on this thread. I look forward to reading some more tomorrow.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Can we get Alex Fergusson to sit on the interview panel?

A couple of bottles a red for his wages!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gazzableedsgull wrote:Some people have lost the plot, a new manager and DoF? Yeah right! We've been forking out money with new loan signings lately, not to mention we have to pay off AK as well now. Also those suggesting bringing in people with little or no experience in management must me crackers, we're second bottom in the football league so to let a novice take over to save us really is ludicrous.

We need a manager not a friend or former fan favourite, we have 5 months to get enough points to survive and then regroup in the summer. We cannot afford to go through managers ever year or two. This appointment needs to be right, I know every choice is a gamble but some gambles are more worth taking than others .. experience and knowledge will prevail generally.
Spot on
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gazzableedsgull wrote:Some people have lost the plot, a new manager and DoF? Yeah right! We've been forking out money with new loan signings lately, not to mention we have to pay off AK as well now. Also those suggesting bringing in people with little or no experience in management must me crackers, we're second bottom in the football league so to let a novice take over to save us really is ludicrous.

We need a manager not a friend or former fan favourite, we have 5 months to get enough points to survive and then regroup in the summer. We cannot afford to go through managers ever year or two. This appointment needs to be right, I know every choice is a gamble but some gambles are more worth taking than others .. experience and knowledge will prevail generally.
Spot on
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I agree. We have four months to get through.

However, the last 4 managers to get Torquay promoted have all been young men in their first* management job...

*O'Farrell (well, 2nd technically for him, but first in the league and he was a young, up-and-coming manager)
Impey (fluke - essentially Smith's team)
Rosenior
Buckle

In our situation you want someone experienced to stabilise things and then perhaps a youthful manager once that has happened. The fact that Hargreaves is being linked with Northampton and has impressed their directors, suggest he should be taken seriously as a candidate, even though I do think a lot of the clamour for him is because he is an ex-player (the same way, for some bizarre reason, Kevin Hill has had a couple of mentions...I mean, come on, nice bloke, great player for us, but why would anyone think he could be our manager or coach?).

Interestingly, the two managers currently with the best form are Russ Wilcox at Scunny and Mark Warburton at Brentford...both new, first-time managers.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

hector wrote: I agree. We have four months to get through.

However, the last 4 managers to get Torquay promoted have all been young men in their first* management job...

*O'Farrell (well, 2nd technically for him, but first in the league and he was a young, up-and-coming manager)
Impey (fluke - essentially Smith's team)
Rosenior
Buckle

In our situation you want someone experienced to stabilise things and then perhaps a youthful manager once that has happened. The fact that Hargreaves is being linked with Northampton and has impressed their directors, suggest he should be taken seriously as a candidate, even though I do think a lot of the clamour for him is because he is an ex-player (the same way, for some bizarre reason, Kevin Hill has had a couple of mentions...I mean, come on, nice bloke, great player for us, but why would anyone think he could be our manager or coach?).

Interestingly, the two managers currently with the best form are Russ Wilcox at Scunny and Mark Warburton at Brentford...both new, first-time managers.
Kevin Hill isn't in the frame, I think he'd like to manage at a local level(think Sean Joyce) when he finally stops playing, but not interested in a FL job.
TufcHills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Karl Hawley

Post by TufcHills »

Paulo Di Canio
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

TufcHills wrote:Paulo Di Canio
There's always one. ;-)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

TufcHills wrote:Paulo Di Canio
Well I've heard it all now!
TufcHills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TufcHills »

Or Troy Douglin or Jimmy Benefield
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I stand corrected.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

You cant beat a Douglin Benefield combination. Or Ray Parlour obviously.
TufcHills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TufcHills »

I would have suggested Paul Konchesky but I'm afraid hes older than god