Gordan Sparks interview with Martin Ling just now

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Gordan Sparks interview with Martin Ling just now

Post by hector »

Gordan Sparks just played his interview with Martin Ling regarding the Torquay vacancy. Ling said...(roughly)

Devon Derby have cost Torquay 6pts and Knill his job. They need someone with a bit of experience and knows the place. Martin Ling feels he ticks a lot of boxes and he has unfinished business. He is going to put in his CV and he wants the job. He is currently scouting for Dean Smith at Walsall. He knows some of the Torquay players and he knows the budgetary constraints. He also referred to the 'never go back' idea but that wouldn't stop him. He would know the club and situation at Plainmoor better than any new manager coming in and something like that would be better for the club in terms of hitting the ground running.

The appointment needs to be made ASAP and he would get all of those players out on loan back as a couple of them were successful for him.

I wonder...
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

I admire the man's optimism but, ain't never gonna happen.
TUST member 203
badamsincalifornia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by badamsincalifornia »

I think that we need a fresh start.....
Garydegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Adrian Foster

Post by Garydegull »

Come on united... you know it makes sense ! Re hire 1 of the best best managers we have ever had ! (If not THE BEST)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Even though I am dead set against Martin Ling coming back for a number of reasons, what he's said in that interview actually makes a lot of sense, we don't have a lot of time, and he's the one man who could hit the ground running.

Steady on Garydegull, think there are few candidates some way ahead of Lingy in our best manager stakes.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thats why he couldn't buy a win before he went off sick. The notion that we would give him a hefty pay off and then hire him again is daft. It will never happen.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Desparate for a job-no one's shown any interest in taking him on as manager since he left us.
Having said that feel he could do a good job for someone in League 2 or Conference,but definitely not for us now.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Indeed Brucie I agree, however in the mad world that is football, don't rule anything out.
Formerly known as forevertufc
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

brucie wrote:Thats why he couldn't buy a win before he went off sick.
To be fair, he was likely ill for some time before he went off sick judging from his demeanour. That said, yes, it won't happen and neither should it.
TUST member 203
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Once again I agree with Mr. Behind. Noting that his favourite player is Robin Stubbs, I wonder if he is (like me ) a member of the Old Codgers' League (you know, the ones that moan all the time....)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

After 1m49s in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ngt3k

Although there are a number of possible candidates, I would not be unhappy to see Ling return. He did take us to the play-offs in his first season (something Knill could never have done), when he became ill we were in a less hopeless position than we have been this season under Knill, and he may actually turn out to be the cheapest option for the club. That said, there will undoubtedly also be other possibilities for the board to look at..
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

wivelgull wrote:Once again I agree with Mr. Behind. Noting that his favourite player is Robin Stubbs, I wonder if he is (like me ) a member of the Old Codgers' League (you know, the ones that moan all the time....)
Definitely Wivel-will chalk up 50 years' since my Dad first took me up to Plainmoor,in March this year.
Don't moan all the time though-just most of it!
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I heard the interview this morning and Ling seems very keen on coming back. Personally I would love to have Ling back in some capacity, the present situation of shipping out loads of our players out on loan and bringing in loads of loanees is ridiculous and clearly is not working. Ling would reverse that trend and get the squad more united again with our own players. I would like to see Ling working with a younger coach like Hargreaves.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Ling and Hargreaves, or Ling and Shaun North, could work very well, but Hargreaves seems to be looking for a full managerial job himself now.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Insane