Torquay United v Morecambe - 4/1/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We were robbed!! We made Morecambe, 2 points off the play offs look very ordinary.

After seeing 4 games over Christmas we have great spirit ,renewed belief,BUT lack a Rene Howe type of striker.

Hawley is an experienced player but has never been a prolific scorer. We need one out and out striker.

So hard to find. We cannot afford a fee so what are the options? Phone all the Premier League clubs and beg for a big strong lad

who needs games.

Start at Southampton!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gutted by that. All Harrops changes made a difference. Whilst the team has been knocked all season you have to take your hats off - to produce that peformance on a pitch that heavy was a phenomenal effort.
FL - Bodin was our worst player - he has been outstanding in our last two home matches. Pearce and O'Connor excellent. Benyon - a phenomenal effort on that pitch. Labadie looks better than he did last season. even Hawley played well.
Lets be honest their equaliser was a total fluke - it was headed by one of their players who came back from an offside position. He just swung his boot at it - the other ninety nine times it would have gone out for a throw in.
Morecambe should have been embarassed to take a point from the game.
Ultimately though all the other teams at the bottom won - I could have told you that Exeter would get beat by Mansfield - they are crap
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Disagree about Hawley, he was good today. Not a threat, but the rest of his game was good. This comes from his biggest detractor, so he must have been alright. Bodin the worst player in Yellow, but still at 5/10

In the last two games, we've seen the opposition have 4 shots on target and take four points. We can't ask the defence to do any better than they have, so the buck must fall with the strikers.

Matt.
Bodin has been playing well and today produced some of the best football wev'e seen this season thanks to Harrop. :)
Hawleys been like a spare part since he's been here but played as he was today he fitted in and played well.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

By some way the best team performance I've seen in a while. seriously you can't fault any single player, effort, attitude the works spot on, ok we've a couple of good chances, and maybe the manager might have to look at adding some quality up front via the loan market, because that's all that missing to today, a goal scorer.

Welcome back Lathrope, had a fantastic game, breaking up play, and some neat passes(AK what were you thinking), welcome back Pearce tidy game and a very difficult pitch, Labadie excellent. Nico some great corners and no doubting his passion for TUFC .

All in all, keep up that performance level, and we have a chance, well done all today, crowd good noise as well.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I really thought we would win today and it was a rather scrappy goal that nearly snatched it for us. The team selection/formation seemed to be completely ripping up the Knill's template and the recalling of Benyon, Pearce, Lathrope and particularly Nicholson, were possibly crowd pleasers, but also one in the eye for the departed manager. If ever a statement was being made, then that was it.

The mood of the players and the crowd was much lighter and more positive. There seemed to be a sense of togetherness, that Harrop did well to encourage. The team played well but the glaring need for a striker was obvious. Hawley and Benyon did nothing wrong but neither are particularly dangerous or threatening.

With Labadie and Lathrope returning and the likes of McCourt, Mozika, Harding, Cameron, Craig & Chapell, we do seem to have an abundance of midfielders and wingers. They are not a bad collection of players but there are clearly too many when your forward options consist of Benyon, Hawley & Yeoman.

I thought O'Connor did really well at RB and Pearce did well after being out for so long.

Once Morecambe equalised with a wonderful goal, they did look the more likely to win but overall they were not enormously impressive. The fact that Kevin Ellison was subbed is a credit to Torquay. He is a good player - a sort of Phil Stant of the modern day.

I thought it strange today that the programme had Alan Knill's column still. Seeing as he referred to the Plymouth game in his column and yet was sacked the day after that game you would think they had time not to include it. I wonder when he actually had time to even write the column between the game and the sack.

After the game the mood was a positive one and I think the appointment of Hargreaves, especially if he comes with a mentor, will banish the negativity that really has been hanging around the club like a cloud for the last year or longer, as he will come with an enormous amount of goodwill. Hargreaves and TUFC fit together in a way that Knill and TUFC never could or would.

Looking forward to seeing who the manager is.

There seemed to be suggestions that Robbie Fowler was there today. I didn't see him myself and I don't really get why he would be interested. It would be another flash in the pan appointment.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Tom Cruise played the last two games with an injury, may point towards Nico's inclusion today.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I've nothing to add - it's all been said ! By far the most entertaining game of the season played on a difficult surface. The lack of goals is a worry, though - a second goal today would have killed the game off.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Disagree about Hawley, he was good today. Not a threat, but the rest of his game was good. This comes from his biggest detractor, so he must have been alright. Bodin the worst player in Yellow, but still at 5/10

In the last two games, we've seen the opposition have 4 shots on target and take four points. We can't ask the defence to do any better than they have, so the buck must fall with the strikers.

Matt.
were you at the game?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Does it sound like I was at the game, Sherlock?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Does it sound like I was at the game, Sherlock?

Matt.
:-o
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm on my phone; is that the 'blowjob' smilie?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Matt, rude but quite funny.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I wish I'd left for the pub when Bodin got subbed - it was inevitable - play out the game to keep possession and contain. Only problem was we did neither.

:-/

Bodin still not doing it for me.

:@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:I made a posts about Nico which may have offended some people, that was never my intention and apologise to any that did take offence. However the majority of people that go to games regularly were calling for Cruise to replace Nico for a very good reason, Nico has been a good servant to the club, but so what, this a professional football team not a charity.

The reason why most, myself included were calling for Cruise is Nico is past his best and just to slow, personally got fed up game in game out watching every side we play against focus there attacks down the right side, at Nico, knowing full well they would get some joy down that way, so for me Scott no.

I agree with many others are best defence would be O'Connor-Pearce-Downes-Cruise.
Nico has differrant qualities to Cruise and can clear his lines. :rofl:
Cruise was injured and is struggling as Nico but who else is there?
Last edited by arcadia on 05 Jan 2014, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

arcadia wrote:
Nico has differrant qualities to Cruise and can clear his lines. :rofl:

rent boy, rent. :nod: :O :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"