Greavsie and Lee Hodges it is then ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Don't agree with the first part. He's incredibly popular, and if he takes us down the blame would be given to his predecessor.

And I'm not sure what you'd expect his previous employers to say if asked? 'Yeah, we're pretty glad to see the back of his if I'm honest...?'
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Presumably nothing, or a template thanks for his efforts, the type we usually use. Giving him a glowing reference is a trouble they didn't have to take.

Knill will get a share of blame if we go down, but (lesser) Hargreaves and (much greater) the board will too for appointing them both and not getting us out of trouble. Doing the same old thing would be the simpler and safer course for them.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

haha, i've only just realised that its not KEVIN hodges we've employed!!
still keeping the faith
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Well I disagree. I think they've opted for the 'people's choice'.

Don't get me wrong, I like Greavsie, like what he's had to say and hope like everyone, he can things round for us. He might very well prove to be a tactical genius, he's certainly worked under enough managers to have picked up plenty of pointers. My post was meant to be a light-hearted dig at the 'surprise' nature of his appointment. As I said, I imagine there was a short-list of one - indeed he alludes to being 'approached'.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Such 'vitriol' knocking about on here about the board and the suitability of Hargreaves before a ball has even been kicked.

The board appointed Knill on the basis that he kept us up last season, was prepared to show his commitment by moving his family down and also because he was an experienced league manager. I would say that the majority of the fanbase were not necessarily happy with his appointment but believed that the football couldn't be any worse than under Ling, so they (I) went along with it with the expectation of probably mid table but some good attacking positive football. We didn't get any of what we expected and were badly let down. By Knill NOT the board. They could be accused of not conducting a proper interview process and taking the easy option but just how could they and us have known just how incompetent and unsuitable for the job Knill would turn out to be? Blaming them for Knill is idiocy just like doing so for the Hargreaves appointment.

Hargreaves is a rookie but if he brings renewed energy and vigour to the club and playing staff then we will stay up. I believe in this league he will be able to negate his lack of managerial experience with just getting us to play like we're a non league side in a cup tie. We'll get enough points to stay up IMO. A lot of our players are crap and a lot are good so if he can get the best out of the crap ones to make them ordinary and get the best out of the good ones to make them very good then we're in business.

What was the alternative? Appoint another 'been there, seen it, done it and got the t-shirt' manager who goes through the motions and doesn't either give a sh*t nor need the cash or motivation to do well? It's a big risk taking Hargreaves on but I honestly don't believe anybody else other than perhaps Martin Allen could come in and guide us to safety. We were going down anyway under Knill and the board have acted in good time to give us a fighting chance and so anyone castigating their decision for bringing in Hargreaves is a silly billy.

If we go down the board are absolved of any culpability in my opinion as they have done the right thing on 3 separate occasions already this season. Appointing Knill, sacking Knill and appointing Hargreaves. Relegation will be mainly the fault of Knill and some the fault of Hargreaves. Hargreaves is now a full time professional football manager and even though he has no experience he has convinced the board and the majority of fans that he has what it takes to get us out of a hole and so we must trust him. Failure will not exempt him from blame, he has been given a chance that only 91 other blokes have at any one time. To manage a football league club.

I trust him and I trust the board despite me criticising their lack of communication with fans at times. The board have done what is required in all these tricky circumstances including with Ling and people still have a dig. Unbelievable.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

Excellent posting Andy. I was waiting for what you had to say....Sums up the situation well !

:clap: :goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Some of the board, note the first word, some of the board are very much open to criticism and coming from you of all people Andy all I would say is pot and kettle.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think the board have definitely made the right decision. I really don't understand all these people who want 'experience'. Every single experienced manager that Torquay could get has a CV full of failure.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Southampton Gull wrote:Some of the board, note the first word, some of the board are very much open to criticism and coming from you of all people Andy all I would say is pot and kettle.
I don't understand Dave. :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Ok , I get the message.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Ok , I get the message.
He could be telling you to put the kettle on next time he's around Andy. But then, you would silly wearing it!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Fonda wrote:Don't agree with the first part. He's incredibly popular, and if he takes us down the blame would be given to his predecessor.

And I'm not sure what you'd expect his previous employers to say if asked? 'Yeah, we're pretty glad to see the back of his if I'm honest...?'
Fonda - if we go down (and of course we all sincerely hope we won't) Knill would quite rightly take the lion's share of the blame for landing us in this mess in the first place, regardless of who was appointed as his successor. At the time, I had no arguments with Knill's appointment but it has turned out to be a complete disaster. He brought decent players to the club, most of them loanees, but he didn't seem to have the slightest idea how to mould them into a team of players.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Such 'vitriol' knocking about on here about the board and the suitability of Hargreaves before a ball has even been kicked.

The board appointed Knill on the basis that he kept us up last season, was prepared to show his commitment by moving his family down and also because he was an experienced league manager. I would say that the majority of the fanbase were not necessarily happy with his appointment but believed that the football couldn't be any worse than under Ling, so they (I) went along with it with the expectation of probably mid table but some good attacking positive football. We didn't get any of what we expected and were badly let down. By Knill NOT the board. They could be accused of not conducting a proper interview process and taking the easy option but just how could they and us have known just how incompetent and unsuitable for the job Knill would turn out to be? Blaming them for Knill is idiocy just like doing so for the Hargreaves appointment.

Hargreaves is a rookie but if he brings renewed energy and vigour to the club and playing staff then we will stay up. I believe in this league he will be able to negate his lack of managerial experience with just getting us to play like we're a non league side in a cup tie. We'll get enough points to stay up IMO. A lot of our players are crap and a lot are good so if he can get the best out of the crap ones to make them ordinary and get the best out of the good ones to make them very good then we're in business.

What was the alternative? Appoint another 'been there, seen it, done it and got the t-shirt' manager who goes through the motions and doesn't either give a sh*t nor need the cash or motivation to do well? It's a big risk taking Hargreaves on but I honestly don't believe anybody else other than perhaps Martin Allen could come in and guide us to safety. We were going down anyway under Knill and the board have acted in good time to give us a fighting chance and so anyone castigating their decision for bringing in Hargreaves is a silly billy.

If we go down the board are absolved of any culpability in my opinion as they have done the right thing on 3 separate occasions already this season. Appointing Knill, sacking Knill and appointing Hargreaves. Relegation will be mainly the fault of Knill and some the fault of Hargreaves. Hargreaves is now a full time professional football manager and even though he has no experience he has convinced the board and the majority of fans that he has what it takes to get us out of a hole and so we must trust him. Failure will not exempt him from blame, he has been given a chance that only 91 other blokes have at any one time. To manage a football league club.

I trust him and I trust the board despite me criticising their lack of communication with fans at times. The board have done what is required in all these tricky circumstances including with Ling and people still have a dig. Unbelievable.

Nice one Andy. We have got our man . Remember him running onto the pitch with the trophy after we got promoted whilst everyone else was still in the stands, he loves torquay
Lucy
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

'He loves Torquay'. And there you have it. He's obviously the right man for the job on the basis of that alone.

My post was light-hearted. There was certainly no anger or 'vitriol', and anyone who thinks there was doesn't understand the meaning of the word.

I wish him well, and am inspired enough myself to purchase a half-season ticket. But it doesn't change my opinion that he was always the 'obvious' (THAT'S NOT TO SAY WRONG) choice.
vinny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jordan Chappel

Post by vinny »

With regards to the press conference it was good to see Alex Rowe back in the limelight again. He speaks well, assertively and confidently. Hopefully he doesnt disappear into the shadows again.