Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You've gotta believe that Andy has a point here. Bodin hadn't scored yet this season. It's all guesswork, of course, but as bad as he is generally, surely Danny would have at least one by now. Perhaps it would have been the second against Morecambe, winning us two extra points.

Catastrophic signing, if he comes back. Any player in his mid-twenties released by a FL club who doesn't find work with a club anywhere is suffering only one thing, a lack a discernible talent. If the likes of Lloyd Macklin and Danny Leadbitter found work, it goes to show that you needn't be a world beater, just have a crumb of something to impress. That Danny hasn't even secured work with Hyde (4 points all season) or Droylsden (I think 2 points all season in the BSN) must, surely, tell us all we need to know. Christ, Hyde are so desperate in pretty sure I'd get a game if I turned up at training and ran about a bit.

Usual story with footballers, lovely chap and absolutely nothing against him personally, but he isn't good enough (for whatever reason) for a FL club.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Andy , nothing wrong with expressing your opinions mate, but I do question whether your right in saying Stevens scores more goals than Bodin. According to the ever unreliable Wikipedia , Billy Bodin has made 83 senior appearances scoring 13 goals . Danny Stevens has made 182 senior appearances scoring 25 goals, if those figures are correct that actually unless I've worked it out wrong , gives Billy Bodin the better strike rate.

As for this story, I tend to lean towards it being speculation, out of work pro training with his nearest pro club is nothing new in football, it happens at all levels all clubs, no doubt also Chris Hargreaves is also taking the opportunity to run the rule over Danny Stevens to see if he does still have anything to offer, this, at the end of day doesn't mean to say the club are about to re-sign him, I agree though would be massive backward step.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fair enough Dave, at least you hit me with some info and a fair opinion rather than a blunt and totally ignorant rebuff. That's fine. I happen to think Billy may do really well for us playing under Hargreaves if it all takes off as I can see he has a bit of ability but it's a question of producing it now and with his contract expiring in the summer I reckon the cynical will say any upturn in form from Billy will have come about because of that. I don't think that would be the case though, I think Billy just needs to be in a side playing free flowing attacking football with others on the same wavelength (a point you highlighted to me a while ago Dave when discussing Bodin).
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Anyway if your superior knowledge will allow me to try and explain what is simply my opinion. Stevens scores more than Bodin which is a statistical fact and Stevens might be superb for half an hour each game before predictably fading. Bodin has played well these past few weeks but why let that get in the way of a season and a half of appalling inconsistency?

Stevens is NOT a better player than Bodin but will give us more of a return. Perhaps that is what I should have written.

And just for those with blinkers on, this is not a Bodin dig it is simply me comparing him to Stevens.
Was just about to post the same Andy. Bodin is clearly talented but all the stats show Stevens has been a more effective player.

I'd be reasonably positive about this to be honest. I thought it the right decision to let him go as we looked to move forwards but unfortunately we've gone backwards. He played 45 games the season before last in a team that finished fifth scoring 10 goals. Overall he has played over 100 games in league 2. Hargreaves knows him we'll and he knows many of the rest of the squad so settling won't be a problem. He's clearly not THE signing that will save us but he could add an element to help us out. We might have a lot of wingers but realistically only Chappell and Bodin have shown any real form and even that has been a bit hit and miss - I'm sure Stevens can come in and do a job as a third option.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Apologies to Matt about claiming that the Stevens / Bodin goal ratio favours Danny is a 'statistical fact'. It isn't - it's a spurious claim to make me look like I'm right but I hope he can forgive me now that I've owned up. ;-) :clap:

I know Matt is not in favour of people using the word 'fact' when there is no basis for it. :na: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

forevertufc wrote:Andy , nothing wrong with expressing your opinions mate, but I do question whether your right in saying Stevens scores more goals than Bodin. According to the ever unreliable Wikipedia , Billy Bodin has made 83 senior appearances scoring 13 goals . Danny Stevens has made 182 senior appearances scoring 25 goals, if those figures are correct that actually unless I've worked it out wrong , gives Billy Bodin the better strike rate.

As for this story, I tend to lean towards it being speculation, out of work pro training with his nearest pro club is nothing new in football, it happens at all levels all clubs, no doubt also Chris Hargreaves is also taking the opportunity to run the rule over Danny Stevens to see if he does still have anything to offer, this, at the end of day doesn't mean to say the club are about to re-sign him, I agree though would be massive backward step.
Dave, don't forget that Bodin has played most of his career as either an out and out forward or as an advanced winger in 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation where as Stevens has been mainly a 4-4-2 wide midfielder/winger.

I don't this should be about Bodin versus Stevens though - he is just an additional option to Bodin and Chappell.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I hope CH is just trying to reform the Conference promotion squad...he'll be signing Tim Sills next!

I don't quite understand what use there would be in signing Stevens, unless he is basically playing for free and it is another body in should we need it.

I thought he had a decent 6 months under Ling...particularly the two wins over Plymouth but last season he was poor and the fact that nobody has signed him - whilst surprising that not even Conference South or lower have gone for it - suggests all we need to know.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

For all those saying that Stevens hasn't been picked up by anyone due purely to a lack of ability, I don't believe that is actually the case.

My understanding is that Danny was actually offered a deal by a half decent Conference Premier side a few months back but turned it down as it would have meant him having to drop down to part time football and understandably perhaps he was keen to remain in full time football. A few months on, with no work on the horizon, he may have changed his views on that and the piece in the Herald seemed to suggest that he is at least considering the option whilst trying to become established as a personal trainer.

For all his shortcomings (in every sense of the word!) we shouldn't forget that the year we got promoted back into the League, he picked up an award at the Setanta end of season awards bash for Young Player of the Year, which I believe was voted for by his fellow peers. Mind you, that was nothing compared to what Paul Buckle picked up that night (cough) allegedly !!!!! =D :-D
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Would be a step backwards for me. We already have better wingers than him. Bodin and Chappell are far superior. Cameron and Thompson are developing - development that would be stunted if Stevens returned. No thanks.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

I'd also like to point out that although Bodin has been used as a forward, and Stevens a winger, he's also played his entire first team career in the FL, whereas a lot of Danny's games were in the Conference, which may go some way to showing that Bodin is a better player.

You do also have to question, if Danny is that good, and he has the ability, then WHY hasn't he been picked up by another FL club?
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Oh Pllleeaasseee Plleeeeezzzeeee Sign Danny. I just want to see Trojans face when he come on the pitch. It will make my day. :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

nickfrench82 wrote:I'd also like to point out that although Bodin has been used as a forward, and Stevens a winger, he's also played his entire first team career in the FL, whereas a lot of Danny's games were in the Conference, which may go some way to showing that Bodin is a better player.

You do also have to question, if Danny is that good, and he has the ability, then WHY hasn't he been picked up by another FL club?
Alternatively Nick, you could say that Stevens has made the step up from non league to league whilst still scoring a few goals in league 2 and being reasonably consistent whereas Billy has struggled most of the time at league level. Therefore it shows that Stevens has adapted best and is the more 'effective'. Just another spin on it mate. :na: ;-)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

He was released 6 months ago because he wasn't good enough. And no other club seems to think we were wrong with that assessment.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Fonda wrote:He was released 6 months ago because he wasn't good enough. And no other club seems to think we were wrong with that assessment.
In terms of the thread title then Fonda is correct, he isn't really good enough for us now but whether the others in his position are is another debate.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote: Alternatively Nick, you could say that Stevens has made the step up from non league to league whilst still scoring a few goals in league 2 and being reasonably consistent whereas Billy has struggled most of the time at league level. Therefore it shows that Stevens has adapted best and is the more 'effective'. Just another spin on it mate. :na: ;-)
I like your work :)

Still think that if we think Danny is the answer, I'm concerned that we don't understand the question!