Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote: In terms of the thread title then Fonda is correct, he isn't really good enough for us now but whether the others in his position are is another debate.
If they're not, it would made more sense to get someone who is, rather than someone else who isn't?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yes it would. I was just commenting on the fact that Stevens might be returning and saying that I wouldn't be totally opposed to it although like you say, it would be better and more reassuring if Chris was looking elsewhere for similar reinforcements.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Fonda wrote: If they're not, it would made more sense to get someone who is, rather than someone else who isn't?
Possibly the best one line posting I have ever seen on here!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

in response to the OP, dont talk wet.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

CP Gull wrote:For all those saying that Stevens hasn't been picked up by anyone due purely to a lack of ability, I don't believe that is actually the case.

My understanding is that Danny was actually offered a deal by a half decent Conference Premier side a few months back but turned it down as it would have meant him having to drop down to part time football and understandably perhaps he was keen to remain in full time football. A few months on, with no work on the horizon, he may have changed his views on that and the piece in the Herald seemed to suggest that he is at least considering the option whilst trying to become established as a personal trainer.

For all his shortcomings (in every sense of the word!) we shouldn't forget that the year we got promoted back into the League, he picked up an award at the Setanta end of season awards bash for Young Player of the Year, which I believe was voted for by his fellow peers. Mind you, that was nothing compared to what Paul Buckle picked up that night (cough) allegedly !!!!! =D :-D
Which 'half decent' Conference sides are part-time?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

To suggest that Stevens is better than Bodin is indeed nonsensical. There is no way he is better than Cameron either.
He is not better than Thompson - indeed he is some way worse than all the other wingers we have and anyone trying to argue otherwise is bananas!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I really don't think that the HE story on this was helpful. It is probably much more along the lines of helping a former player to keep himself fit and in the marketplace for a club.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

gullintwoplaces wrote:I really don't think that the HE story on this was helpful. It is probably much more along the lines of helping a former player to keep himself fit and in the marketplace for a club.
Confirmed here that he is effectively on trial with us, with no guarantees of a contract at the end of it...

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/C ... story.html
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I really don't see the point of this, it's not a position we need cover in at all, before you even look at it in terms of quality. It would be as needless as signing another goalkeeper.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Like I said, probably just helping out an old player. Little or no impact on the club. Storm in a teacup.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

brucie wrote:To suggest that Stevens is better than Bodin is indeed nonsensical. There is no way he is better than Cameron either.
He is not better than Thompson - indeed he is some way worse than all the other wingers we have and anyone trying to argue otherwise is bananas!
I like bananas. They help to stop life from getting too boring. We wouldn't want to end up as boring old farts, would we.. :~D
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Confirmed as a trial, then. It'll make the other wingers take a look at themselves at the very least. Thompson ended up being on the bench at Worcester and Jordan's more recent appearances have not been what we'd come to expect. I thought Courtney Cameron looked decent over the festive period, though. (Can't remember if it was Rovers or Exeter)

Our wing contingent should treasure their professional football status and Danny's recent history really ought to underline this to them. Who knows, the hard work he puts in might set a higher benchmark for a few in training. Good luck Daniesta.

PS: Cannot understand the Bodin knocking on here. He 's been pretty good of late.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Rjc70 wrote:Confirmed as a trial, then. It'll make the other wingers take a look at themselves at the very least. Thompson ended up being on the bench at Worcester and Jordan's more recent appearances have not been what we'd come to expect. I thought Courtney Cameron looked decent over the festive period, though. (Can't remember if it was Rovers or Exeter)

Our wing contingent should treasure their professional football status and Danny's recent history really ought to underline this to them. Who knows, the hard work he puts in might set a higher benchmark for a few in training. Good luck Daniesta.

PS: Cannot understand the Bodin knocking on here. He 's been pretty good of late.

Another that has failed to read things as they were written. :no:

I actually admitted that Bodin was playing really well of late but then suggested how that could affect people's judgement of him. Prior to these last few weeks he hasn't given us a great deal since 2012 and that is why I kind of said that overall on all known evidence it is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that we got more out of Stevens in his years with us as a league footballer than we have Bodin. Not to say that there isn't more to come from Bodin and he has been playing well of late and a continuation of that form for the rest of the season may finally get him closer to all that Stevens offered us. I wasn't knocking Bodin just comparing what the two have offered us as league footballers but if you wish to believe I was without reading properly what I actually posted then that's fine. :-D
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 15 Jan 2014, 14:55, edited 2 times in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I don't believe anyone else has knocked Bodin on here either just comparing the two players and giving their opinion.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Agreed. Bodin has talent and Stevens is a player with above average ability for this level, though both have shown inconsistency over the past couple of years. But the talents of these two have not been utilised as they should have been; this is not necessarily due to the managers alone; managers have different approaches to the job and must work with the resources available to them, and players themselves must take some responsibility.

However, it does take a really good manager to get the best out of players. Bodin is now beginning to get back to the performance levels we know he's capable of. Perhaps Hargreaves can achieve the same with Stevens if Danny takes his chance. I understand the negativity of some who believe he already had his chance. But I believe in second chances. And I believe in giving new managers a chance to work their miracles..