Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Gullscorer wrote:Agreed. Bodin has talent and Stevens is a player with above average ability for this level, though both have shown inconsistency over the past couple of years. But the talents of these two have not been utilised as they should have been; this is not necessarily due to the managers alone; managers have different approaches to the job and must work with the resources available to them, and players themselves must take some responsibility.

However, it does take a really good manager to get the best out of players. Bodin is now beginning to get back to the performance levels we know he's capable of. Perhaps Hargreaves can achieve the same with Stevens if Danny takes his chance. I understand the negativity of some who believe he already had his chance. But I believe in second chances. And I believe in giving new managers a chance to work their miracles..
Agreed Stevens is one of the most technically gifted players we have had at the club in recent years (despite what young Trojan thinks ;-) ) and in training and his private life was a model professional. He had a disadvantage because of his physique but overcame that by hard work and technical expertise. The best of luck to him although it has come as no surprise to me that some are already questioning the judgement of our new manager just one game in (and a win at that!). ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its a backward step - no doubt about it.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

brucie is right. We should be going forward.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:brucie is right. We should be going forward.
Hargreaves OUT! You don't know what you're doing :}
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

brucie wrote:Its a backward step - no doubt about it.
Er, no actual steps have been taken as yet, Brucie. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.. :-/
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

In Greavsie I trust. If HE thinks that 'lil Danny can do a job, then I'm happy.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:
Apologies AustrianAndy, I skim read and saw this bit and some discussion about it. I notice you have explained this elsewhere.

I wish Danny all the best and hope that at the very least this exercise is of some benefit in focussing the mind of our other wingers to the task at hand and the work rate they need to show to be a part of it. Whilst Billy has been good of late; and Cameron had a good game over Christmas; Chaps seemed to have gone off the boil a bit and Thompson spent the end of his loan spell at Worcester on the bench. And it's an extra and up for it body at training until and unless something is offered. No problems with this whatsoever.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Thanks for the explanation rjc, appreciated. I do actually give Billy credit whenever it is due but it is often overlooked whenever I make positive comments about him as some seem to think I have some sort of agenda and can't possibly be saying anything complimentary about him. They automatically see me commenting on Bodin and presume it's negative.

As it happens, when I first joined the forum I was particularly vehement in my criticism of Stevens yet I was the one who started the thread thanking him for his services when he left. I 'm not making myself out to be a saint but I thought he deserved it for his effort and application with us. He was just a very limited footballer. My criticism of Stevens was almost 'Bodin-esque' but like Bodin, there was a valid reason for it and Stevens gradually made me change my mind about him through hard work and consistently improved performances in games albeit sporadically. I'm sure Billy has worked equally as hard and tried to be consistent but it hasn't worked out sadly. It is good to see some really good showings from him of late and hopefully it won't be another flash in the pan and he goes back to being totally ineffective again bar a few flicks and tricks here and there.

My argument would be that if fans are thinking it is sheer lunacy for the club to be thinking of offering Stevens something then likewise I think it is fair to say that they should also think the same about Billy being given a new contract in the summer. Again it's not a dig at Bodin, I'm just saying that both have been as 'ordinary' as one another so there should be no complaints if both are taken on once more or both not. You can't say it's sensible to give Billy one and not Stevens when IMO it has always felt to me that Stevens has given us more in the way of tangible end product more often. Neither should get one to be fair as both have had their time and we need to move on. If we give Bodin another contract then are we going to get more of the same? I say it's not worth the expense and Hargreaves should be moving forward. I doubt Billy will get a regular place at a club in a higher division IMO but he could really take off somewhere else, I'm not disputing that. I just think it's not worth the risk keeping him on regardless.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I really cannot understand the fuss beIng made about offering a former player (and a loyal, hard working one at that) the chance to train with the club and maybe staying with the Gulls for a few short months (four at most). Don't you silly bu**ers trust Hargreaves, who has been manager for ONE game? Again we see moaning, don't some of you just love to moan.
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Couldn't agree with you more Gullintwoplaces!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

gullintwoplaces wrote:I really cannot understand the fuss beIng made about offering a former player (and a loyal, hard working one at that) the chance to train with the club and maybe staying with the Gulls for a few short months (four at most). Don't you silly bu**ers trust Hargreaves, who has been manager for ONE game? Again we see moaning, don't some of you just love to moan.
I agree. People posting on these forums are of course entitled to their opinions, some of which are intelligent, informed, and well articulated, others less so, to put it mildly. But I'm just so glad that it's Chris Hargreaves, and not any of our posters, who is actually managing the team..
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Whilst it is my personal opinion this would be a backward step, as a fan I don't see where Danny Stevens would fit in looking at the player's in the first team and considering the cover available with in the squad.

However what I will say is, Chris Hargreaves would be foolish in dismissing Danny Stevens completely with out first having a look to see if he does having something to offer, in a relegation scrap rule nothing and no one in, rule nothing and no one out. Chris Hargreaves is a professional football coach, now cutting his teeth in management, he is better placed to know what type/style of football he is going to play, and what type of players fit that style, and the clubs budget.

If CH offers something Danny Stevens, despite my opinion, he will have my support.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Really struggle to see any point in this. For me, Chappell has been our best performer thus far this season, and Bodin is just starting to look like the player we signed on loan previously. And we have Cameron as back-up who will need to be given chances if he's to improve significantly. There are other areas of the team where our need for improvement is greater. I've always thought, if money's tight you have to prioritise the jobs that need doing, over the nice little extras. I wasn't in the least bit disappointed to see Stevens leave and not at all surprised that he's failed to find a club since.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Fonda wrote:For me, Chappell has been our best performer thus far this season.
Probably over the course of the season, I'd agree. Performances of the like we had in the earlier part of the season - eg: when we last played Northampton - had tailed off to a degree before he became overlooked as a starter. He's young. It happens. But a nice little kick start again, be it in the form of extra competition on the training ground, needn't be entirely a negative.

One thing our manager has a good insight into is how Stevens trains. Maybe he hasn't seen enough of his intensity from his current crop of wingers? They were all benched for last weeks formation, bar Thompson, who was previously on Worcester's bench.

I can see the logic in this one. Look at how the player without a contract trains. Look how lucky you are. It's not just about that, I know, but all of our wingers are young and Greavsie may well be giving them a kick up the backside whilst at the same time assessing a player at no cost to the Club. Win win.

Good luck, Danny.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Chappell was playing on the right when he was playing his best then Knill swapped him over and he hasn't been the same since. He had a man of the match performance against Pompey because he kept coming inside and beating them and having a couple of real cracking shots. However he never went outside the right back all day and that's exactly what Stevens did for us. Play him on the left he will cut inside 95% of the time and run into a mass of players. Yes he can have a shot now and again but every cross is the same and no threat to a keeper.

Thanks but no thanks, he failed to get contracts at Leyton Orient and Aldershot.