Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I want to find a positive in this, but it's very hard. Both Danny and Rendell are decent enough footballers, but they are not what we need right now. Everything should be focussed on picking up points quickly to stay in the football league. We only have 20 games left, and are currently in the relegation zone. Neither has played a football league game in a very long time, and neither is better than at least three or four other players in their position.

A left back and a striker were our desperate requirements, and then to firm up the loanees until the end of the season or replace them with players who are here until the end of the season. So far we have got Stockley and Goodwin for one month each, so have to either sign them again or replace them again just after the window closes.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I don't think the Rendell of pre-season would have scored 9 in 18, so I suspect there has been a decent upturn in fitness and form. Knows where the net is. Better bet for getting amongst the goals than people's champ fox in the box Benners, if you look at their respective goal scoring records.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not sure where we're getting 9 in 18 from, I have 7 in 16 from here >>> http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=36595

I'll grant you, that's still not a bad record, but what does it translate into a division higher? Fortunately, Woking provide fairly comprehensive highlights from each game. Against Kiddi, Rendell seemed to play fairly well, winning his share of headers and being in some good areas during attacking moves. His goal in the second half was the winner. It was a really nice move down the right, and a cross whacked fairly aimlessly across the middle to prevent it going out for a goal kick following a heavy touch. Scotty whacked it into an empty net from not more than 6 inches. Take nothing away from him for his positioning. He had to be there to finish it, but my question is, do we already have someone who would have been there? I think, in the case of Benyon, we do.

Against Halifax Town, he was involved early, when he looked to take up an almost identical position as the Kiddi goal, but didn't quite get there in time. The ball bounced off him and to a team mate, who knocked it in. Again, that's the run Benyon would have made.
For Woking's second, he found himself far too close to his strike partner and was more of a hindrance than a help. He could neither make a useful run, nor put himself in a position to score, either directly or from a rebound.
His goal is a peach. He makes an excellent, untracked far post run and his sliding finish from the corner of the 6 yard box is a real beauty. A hugely difficult goal to score, even from a magnificent ball in. Nothing the keeper or defenders can do about it. I'm not sure we've got anyone in the squad who could match that. Perhaps Stockley, but he goes back soon.

The game against Hyde was a drab affair (unusual for a 3-2), low on quality. Hyde went 2-0 up, thanks, in part, to a dreadful misplaced pass from Scotty. After this he found chances limited, but a header towards half time required a marvellous save from the visiting keeper. It was a decent effort and well saved, but he was completely unmarked 6 yards out and the ball travelled a long way. Would he get that time in the FL? Unlikely. Would a FL keeper fail to make the save? Maybe 50/50.
His goal shouldn't have stood in this one. It comes from more excellent work from Marriott* down the right hand side. He puts in a nice ball to an unmarked team mate 10 yards out. Bloke hits a shot straight at Scotty, who is stood just behind a defender (and just offside). The ball bounces down and Renderz reacts fastest to smash it into the empty net from a yard. Another finish that my Nan could have made, but, like always, you've got to be there in the first place. There is a theme developing here. I'm not sure Benyon would have been there for this one, but then, I'm not sure that whoever hit the initial shot for us would have missed in the first place, so it becomes a little redundant.

I can't be arsed to watch any more footage, but you get the general idea. Rendell is scoring goals from inside the 6 yard box and, although one of them was a nice finish, the rest have been tap ins. His goalscoring comes from his positional sense and his willingness to get into the box. We already have someone like that in Elliott. It should be noted that, among the goals, his general play looked fine enough. Winning his share of headers, playing simple passes, making the right runs etc. He looks to be a better bet than Danny overall, but I'm just not convinced that he'd muscle his way into the first team ahead of the likes of Benyon and Stockley. Perhaps if Jesus knows that Jayden is to be returned to Ballmouth in early Feb, then he is lining up Rendell to take his place.

Annoyingly, Rendell, for one so good in the air, doesn't get anywhere near the action at corners. He's never up there, on the keeper's toes, preferring to hang back and wait for second balls. That might be to our advantage. We have plenty of guys to win the ball in the air (Downer and Pearce for two), but not so many who pick up the second balls.

Overall, he looks a better player than the one we saw in pre-season and he probably wouldn't be out of his depth at this level. Will he score a meaningful number of goals? Unlikely, but he might serve a purpose once JS has gone back.

Matt.

*This kid looks hot shit. He's a loanee from Ipswich Town and he got 8 goals in 7 apps. He can really finish and seems to have some pace about him too. I was all set to mention him on a different thread, but I checked and he's on loan now at Gillingham. Bugger.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not sure whether it adds anything to the Rendell arguments (or might have already been covered before), but don't forget Stockley was at Woking all last season on loan as well and it didn't turn out too badly for him.

Just because Rendell is playing there doesn't mean he's in footballs graveyard just yet. If he is the only realistic centre forward available within our budget and prepared to move to the area, we could do worse.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

ferrarilover wrote:Not sure where we're getting 9 in 18 from.
It's about half way down the article that started off the Rendell discussion.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/H ... story.html
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

In which case, I'm not sure where the HE got the information...

Matt.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

ferrarilover wrote:In which case, I'm not sure where the HE got the information...

Matt.
Probably from the Woking website you were talking about. 7 League and two 'Cup' goals.

http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/first-team/table/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Ah ha, ok, that explains it. I did guess it was from some cup that Soccerbase didn't cover, but was hoping it might be something sinister. Shame.

Matt.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

CH is no fool. I really dont think he will make a decision based on the "Old Boys Club". If he thinks a player can do a job for us, he will do his best to get that player on board. If not, then I dont think he will. Its as simple as that, IMHO.

Of course, there is always the possibility that CH COULD get it wrong. After all, he is only a Jesus, not a God. :bow: :~D
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

diamondgirl wrote:CH is no fool. I really dont think he will make a decision based on the "Old Boys Club". If he thinks a player can do a job for us, he will do his best to get that player on board. If not, then I dont think he will. Its as simple as that, IMHO.
Of course, there is always the possibility that CH COULD get it wrong.
Never...!! Get your coat... :red:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gullscorer wrote:Sensible words from Chris Hargreaves: http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 12877.aspx

particulary the last bit..............

"I’m speaking to more players today and we’re constantly looking at how we can improve the squad, but it has to be the right person because we don’t want to damage team morale.’’
Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... ikKItu0.99

I agree with that bit.

I bet the current midfielders would be made up to see stevens get picked in front of them.......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gullscorer wrote: Never...!! Get your coat... :red:

just to point out, Jesus is only his nickname.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Gullscorer wrote: Never...!! Get your coat... :red:

Ha Ha Gulls. It was tongue in cheek. :clap: :lol:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero