Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Lot of animosity towards a player who not too long ago scored more in a single season in this league than our wingers have combined. Welcome the wee man back a technically decent player who as an impact player could hopefully help us out over the next few months.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

royalgull wrote:Lot of animosity towards a player who not too long ago scored more in a single season in this league than our wingers have combined. Welcome the wee man back a technically decent player who as an impact player could hopefully help us out over the next few months.
dont talk wet.

animosity?

are you having a laugh?

i love the words "not too long ago". well we could say the same for quite a few then. perhaps we should offer david graham a trial???

or give sillsy a bell perhaps??

the point is (again) that we are talking about a player who couldnt get a contract at aldershot.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

royalgull wrote:Lot of animosity towards a player who not too long ago scored more in a single season in this league than our wingers have combined. Welcome the wee man back a technically decent player who as an impact player could hopefully help us out over the next few months.
Probably the same people who were slagging off Rice at the start of the season and then had to make an embarrassing U-turn when it turned out that he was better than first thought.

I'm not saying that Danny is suddenly going to be the saviour of our season, but he is going to be a good impact player with pace to burn at tired defenders towards the end of a match - and could pop up with the odd goal (which is more than Billy has done - just before Andy gets there ;-) )

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Probably the same people who were slagging off Rice at the start of the season and then had to make an embarrassing U-turn when it turned out that he was better than first thought.

I'm not saying that Danny is suddenly going to be the saviour of our season, but he is going to be a good impact player with pace to burn at tired defenders towards the end of a match - and could pop up with the odd goal (which is more than Billy has done - just before Andy gets there ;-) )

er, i dont think so.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: i'd be interested if you could tell me what the "some" were.
Someone cheap who can cover and we are not committed to, long-term. If he ends up being as disappointing as most assume he will be, then they can get rid of him in 3 months time.

I don't really get it (signing Stevens) it's not what I would have chosen and I don't suppose Knill and Northampton are looking too worried by it.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

hector wrote: Someone cheap who can cover and we are not committed to, long-term. If he ends up being as disappointing as most assume he will be, then they can get rid of him in 3 months time.

I don't really get it (signing Stevens) it's not what I would have chosen and I don't suppose Knill and Northampton are looking too worried by it.

welcome to the SNW, trojan, wivel, brucie and the others club then.

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

hector wrote: Someone cheap who can cover and we are not committed to, long-term. If he ends up being as disappointing as most assume he will be, then they can get rid of him in 3 months time.

I do - for the reasons above....he's cheap, good cover and not tied in to a long contract.

He's got pace, he can score goals and, most importantly, the boss knows what makes him tick.

He's got my support and I'm hoping, much like those who backed Rice (like SNW), that he will chuck all this negative crap in the direction from whence it came.
Alas, he could have three, four or more good games and make an impact (much like Rice did), then make one mistake and everybody will be on his case (as was the case with Rice).

STIP
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Somebody mentioned Danny couldn't get a contract at Aldershot, as if that proves he's not good enough for Torquay. But it's more likely to say something about the judgement of the people at Aldershot. After all, sad though it is to see, where are Aldershot now? The lower reaches of the Conference...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gullscorer wrote:Somebody mentioned Danny couldn't get a contract at Aldershot, as if that proves he's not good enough for Torquay. But it's more likely to say something about the judgement of the people at Aldershot. After all, sad though it is to see, where are Aldershot now? The lower reaches of the Conference...
another wet talker.

well, to be honest Aldershot were already "in the lower reaches" of the conference, as they started on -10 points.
and to be honest he wasnt good enough for leyton orient either. are they mad?

what it does prove is that he wasnt good enough for either in their opinion.

suffice to say, he wasnt good enough for anyone else either, as nobody else since he left here offered him a trial.

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: another wet talker.
well, to be honest Aldershot were already "in the lower reaches" of the conference, as they started on -10 points.
and to be honest he wasnt good enough for leyton orient either. are they mad?
what it does prove is that he wasnt good enough for either in their opinion.
suffice to say, he wasnt good enough for nyone else either, as nobody else since he left here offered him a trial.
Another muddled thinker.. :na:

To be honest, none of this proves or disproves anything. It may indicate certain things, or not. Perhaps it suggests Danny didn't have an agent, or had a bad one. Who knows? The things that really matter are a player's fitness, skills and motivation. And these can worsen or improve over time. If Danny has demonstrated to the manager that he may now be able to make a useful contribution to the squad, to the extent that the manager is prepared to take him on, who are we to argue?

Let's wait and see what happens.. :-D
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Stevens is crap. Gifted? At what?

Poor player, inconsistent and a fart could blow him off the ball.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote:Stevens is crap. Gifted? At what?
Maybe, maybe not. But tactical use of his own farts could put the wind up opposing defenders, if not blow them away. And if he's been working on this in practice it could give him an extra turn of speed. This could give new meaning to the expression 'breaking out of defence'..

We'll have to wait and see which way the wind blows.. ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote:Stevens is crap. Gifted? At what?

Ha ha - you're just hacked off with him because he turned you down Dave ;-)

STIP
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gullscorer wrote: Another muddled thinker.. :na:

To be honest, none of this proves or disproves anything. It may indicate certain things, or not. Perhaps it suggests Danny didn't have an agent, or had a bad one. Who knows? The things that really matter are a player's fitness, skills and motivation. And these can worsen or improve over time. If Danny has demonstrated to the manager that he may now be able to make a useful contribution to the squad, to the extent that the manager is prepared to take him on, who are we to argue?

Let's wait and see what happens.. :-D
muddled?

useful contribution to the squad?? what will that be??

half time oranges provider perhaps? will he lend his X-box to some of the other players??

the facts are that he wasnt good enough for anyone else since he left here.

and without a doubt, if someone else was our manager he wouldnt be here either.

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

From the Herald Express: 'Stevens, 27, who first signed for the Gulls back in 2007 but was released by former boss Alan Knill last May, has agreed a contract initially to the end of the season, after impressing Hargreaves in an extended trial.'

Note: the manager gave Stevens an extended trial; Stevens impressed the manager in the trial, enough to be given a contract.

The previous two managers were by all accounts likeable men but Hargreaves is arguably the most articulate, intelligent, motivating and socially skilled football boss to work at Plainmoor since the days of Paul Buckle who, whatever fans' thought of him personally following his move to Bristol Rovers, was one of our most successful managers.

Hargreaves is certainly no fool.

Obviously you would never have given Stevens the time of day. But I'm quite happy to trust in the manager's judgement for the foreseeable future.