Portsmouth v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

pretty sure somebody predicted 1-0 with bodin scoring! firstly, are you Jesus? and secondly, lottery numbers please!
The gulls are going up
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Great day my first game in far to long really enjoyed the match, (even though some selfish people tried to ruin it by having a famous Mexican stand off argument YEAH yeah YEAH! who was that Aldershot tit in the light blue sweat shirt? Do us a favour mate, don't come to TQY game again.)

Hardly recognised the team and there was some new players too lol. Particularly encouraged by the way we performed when we were under the cosh, all of Pompeys moves resulted in very little, everyone seemed to be up for it right up to the final whistle, that was the difference.

Really looking forward to Bury now for Jesus's long overdue home debut.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Annoyingly, I'm going to temper the positivity with some of the opposite.

A couple of things before I start on the good news. Firstly, Nico, although he was alright defensively today, didn't offer anything much in terms of passing. He really is a one trick pony with that ball up the left hand channel. It's ineffective, it's predictable and it's costing us possession far too often. Bodin, for all this good work, managed to bollocks up every decent thing he did today. Once time, he produced a wonderful bit of skill to bring down a difficult ball and lose his man, only to concede again by messing up the easiest of 5 yard passes inside. Very frustrating. Finally, of the three games we've had under Jesus, we have been dominated totally in a total of two. The second half today, the second half at Wombles and the whole of the Oxford match. I'll grant you, we haven't really looked like conceding (in fact, I'm not sure Poke has made a save of any note in any of those matches), but we are getting dominated by teams and, if we allow a side like Chesterfield to do that, I fear we may be on for a bit of a lesson.

Still, the positives from today were immense. Firstly, I've finally found a ground worse than Accrington. Fratton Park is a hovel of epic proportions. I know it's old and it's old fashioned, but it's totally uncoordinated and unfit for purpose. They desperately need a new ground. The toilets are worse than Exeter's, the little alley way leading to the away end is more farcical than the one at Cambridge United and the location of the place is worse than Gillingham and Plainmoor combined. On the plus side, tea was a quid and entry was a not unreasonably £15.

The match was a real game of two halves. The only common factor was the amount of work that Pokey didn't have to do. He didn't have a serious shot to save today. One mishit cross which bobbled to him and one scuffed effort from 18 yards were the only "shots on target" with which he was forced to deal. He gobbled up a few crosses, but under absolutely no pressure. In all honesty, I could have been in goal today and Pompey wouldn't have scored. As plenty of others have said, Pearce was brilliant today, nothing got anywhere near past him, absolute class. Tongue didn't do a lot wrong, Nico I've mentioned and O'Connor was also very solid. Damon was just fine, as was Joss. Bodin I've mentioned, which only leaves the front three.

I don't particularly fancy Stockley. For me, he's nowhere near being a Championship player. Yeah, he wins some headers and yeah, he does, sometimes get the ball down, but has he had a shot yet? He's extremely slow and not very agile. I'm not really sure he's suited to L2 football. He's not physical enough to be a target man and he's not quick or tricky enough to run at people. Perhaps the higher divisions with their greater time on the ball and focus on technical excellence will suit him better.
Benyon, again, hasn't had a shot today. Been caught offside a few times and managed to waste a really good opportunity in the second half when he got into the box.
Goodwin. Now, this kid I like. He has pace in spades and pace excites me. At one stage, he was being lead by his man by about 6 yards and still [comfortably] won the 20 yard race for a loose ball. Magical stuff. On a better pitch (I know they're all bad this time of year, but Portsmouth's was embarrassing), I can see him being a real asset to someone. Pace gets you out of all sorts of trouble and Goodwin definitely has enough to go around. My only complaint was, as per the other two, he didn't have a shot all day. If I'm honest, we only had the one real effort on target (it was the only shot on target of any menace in the whole match from either side, makes a change from the boot being on the other foot a la Morecambe), but it was the one that counted.

Overall, pleasing to see that there are players here who can come and fill in as and when (and where) they are required. By my reckoning we played a 4-1-2-3 today and it worked well, both with the ball and without it, as the flow of the match demonstrated. We dominated totally in the first half and we defended resolutely in the second.

Generally today, the best referee I've seen for ages. Let a lot go, but was consistent with it. No unnecessary histrionics when he did give free kicks, just a word to a player here or there. No messing about at free kicks, just let the players get on with the game. I have no doubt he got a very low mark from the assessor and will be back in the Calor Gas 5th division South this time next week, poor bastard.
Quite what all the fuss is about Portsmouth and their famous vociferous crowd I really don't know. Even though they had the whole second half entirely to themselves, they barely broke out of their slumber, apart from a chorus of "blue army" about 10 minutes from time. Very quiet. Perhaps they're taking their lead from Liverpool and their equally famous "belt out some shit old show tune for 90 seconds, then sit in silence for the rest of the match" approach to vocal support?

Was it only me who thought that they got EVERY second ball today, by luck or by skill? It didn't matter what we did, the ball broke to them. Very frustrating. Still, three points in the bag, three points closer to safety and, almost as importantly, three points closer to shoving AC Northants down into their rightful division.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

What can I say about today other than it's up there with the best away days I've experienced (Wembley aside). I'm not sure how we managed to hold on, Pompey had a couple of seriously good chances where it seemed easier to hit the target rather than put it over. They also seem fairly sure they should have had a penalty but without seeing it again I have no idea. For once it was nice to have a ref in charge that didn't buckle under huge partisan pressure. The support from the yellow army was quite simply outstanding, never did I think I'd see the day when our fans would outsing those with the best reputation in the land. I thoroughly enjoyed the day as a whole although it was a bit of a shame I wasn't able to experience as much of Portsmouth as I would have liked due to train problems.

I must also mention the Pompey fans - although I didn't speak to any afterwards on the way there they came across as a really friendly bunch of people - sharing a beer on the train and making sure I knew where the ground/pub etc was. I hope we are both in the same division next year, I know Fratton Park is falling to bits but for me it's everything a football ground should be. The final point I want to make is about the team next week. Before I realised Mansell was injured I thought CH had made a tactical switch as with Downes. The team selection is a huge decision for next Saturday but for me he must play Labadie and Lathrope in the middle even if that is at the expense of the captain.
The original taunton_gull!!!
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Scott, it was good to see you as well, all be it briefly. It's always good to put a face to a name. :)
Terrific game today, and Piercy was immense. Show that determination and effort and we will be just fine.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Not long since I got back. It took nearly an hour just to get out of Pompey's car park ! Still, it was a brilliant away trip. It was great to bring the three points home. Loved the way Greavsie came over to the Yellow Army at the end of the game and his fist made that wonderful gesture. He has so much charisma and I really love him !
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

What a day!

The whole team put in a real shift and I was actually only concerned when I saw Downes not on the pitch. I wasn't concerned by Mansell's absence as I think he is long overdue a rest this season. Labadie and Lathrope were solid in the middle and young Stockley up front played quite well I felt.

Great to see Bodin get a goal and I hope it gives him a boost in confidence and he can go onto 4-5 more goals for the season.

The only player I felt didn't perform was Elliot. He struggles on soft pitches because physically he's not strong enough. This is why I don't see any value to bringing Danny Stevens back into the fold.

741 away fans, superb turn out and lets all get behind the guys next Saturday. We might still be in the bottom two but now the bottom positions have all bunched up and we could get out of this in the next three games.

Final word on Fratton Park and the Pompey fans. FP is a traditional old ground that needs some TLC. Loved the atmosphere generated by the Yellow Army and was surprised not to hear more from the Pompey fans but they have been through the mill in the past 5 years and I hope they have better times ahead............behind us ;-)
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

We beat the Pompey 1-0 - the "mighty" Pompey, and all you lot want to do is argue about Danny Stevens!?!?

Revel in the victory ladies - revel in the victory!!

COYY!!!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
badamsincalifornia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by badamsincalifornia »

I was on the road today and the audio on my Gullsplayer cut out halfway through the 2nd half. It said in the text part of the app in the 86th minute that Portsmouth scored. Was there a goal scored and was it called back? I was sweating for about an hour until I confirmed the final score.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Nope, they didn't have a shot on target all afternoon. They didn't even really come close.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

gullno4 wrote:pretty sure somebody predicted 1-0 with bodin scoring! firstly, are you Jesus? and secondly, lottery numbers please!
Ha ha that was me, and last nights Lottery numbers were ......... :-D
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Thinking about the match this morning we do lack goalscoring threats. Yes both Stockley and Benyon work hard but not sure they're the answer.
Word yesterday is that when the loan window re-opens there's a striker coming in from Stevenage.
Oh yes I thought the ref was the best I've seen this season as he controlled the game really well.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Interesting reports especially the one from Fl which was very good. For all of Portsmouths league position I have seen them on the tv a couple of times this season and they have looked one of the best sides in the division I have seen.
Given the circumstances,with our evacuation from the hotel and in a game we really couldn't lose it was a magnificent victory.
I was disappointed that we lost at Oxford as their were reasons why I thought we could have got a result - I actually think that Portsmouth was a far harder game.
Its vital that the next couple of home games are not postponed as we need to get some momentum, and are not playing catch up at the bottom of the table.
I havn't seen any of the games but as Fl says by the commentary we seem to be getting totally dominated by teams - of course this doesn't really matter if we are winning, but it will be interesting to see how we play at home.
The worry maybe that we don't have the forwards to cause teams problems but its a case of wait and see.
Dave Thomas alluded to Goodwins pace and his work at assisting his full back so thats promising.
Thomas also mentioned that we will be bringing another couple of players in during the next fortnight or so - I wonder if a decent forward may yet be the final part of the jigsaw.
With Goodwin playing wide and doing well,Chappell and Cameron not getting a look in I am still perplexed as to where Stevens fits in though.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

What an awesome day. Didn't even think we were much cop in the second half and how we didn't concede I'll never know. Pompey were so wasteful, while O'Connor, Pearce and Poke were outstanding. Midfield duo did so well too. Definitely looked like handball by Nicho in injury time but thank goodness it wasn't given. I'll also give mention to Dale Tonge - one of his better games for us and a goalsaving block in the first half after Poke was beaten.

Off the field the fans were unreal. Fantastic atmosphere, felt like there was over 1000 of us to be honest. Also, think we should request the club play that Beatles song before games at Plainmoor to get the fans going. Love to see what we sounded like from the other end!

:)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree with Scott again, yesterday saw one of the most important, and biggest wins in our clubs recent history, and yet there were some postings on here yesterday evening which I couldn't understand, why and what was the point, we should be celebrating a massive win, and revelling in the new found confidence and hope, after Plymouth away, I seriously didn't think I could do this through thick and thin any more , I am starting to believe again.. :clap: COYY

Now I've seen that penalty incident close up on the box, to be fair, even though Nicho does appear to move his arm, the ball was whacked straight at him from a short distance ( think with a view to winning a penalty) He had no time and chance to get out of the way, no penalty for me.
Formerly known as forevertufc