NEW: v Northampton Town - GAME ON!!!!

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Trying to glean anything from the statement on the main site seems to be suggesting that the Football League are responsible for the 3pm inspection.
My view of this that the club seem to think the match isn't going ahead. Looks like its off to me.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

gullintwoplaces wrote: You are doing what you accuse others of repeatedly, not listening. Matt was not saying that they should stay quiet, he just picked you up on your use of "here" in respect of weather. You clearly don't live near to Plainmoor, so can't apply your weather to Torquay. Nobody has said that we should not have an early decision, of course we should. It is quite daft to leave the decision late if the pitch is clearly unplayable, and it is a pity if the ref can't be there until 1400. I also feel sorry for Cobblers fans and for Gulls fans who will have set off by 1400.
It is as clear as day that Brucie wasn't responding to the PLG's pointless barb.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Does is matter what time the referee gets to the ground. I thought the rules were that if there was a doubt then any qualified ref could be asked to look at the pitch and make an early decision. Maybe one of the refs on here?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

It still sounds to me like the club are trying desperately to get the game played; the Northampton team (Marquis, Knill & all) will already be here. We can't afford all these postponements & are trying to avoid any more backlogs piling up. If there was no chance at all, I expect it would already have been cancelled. The fact that it hasn't, & that the groundsmen are allowed to keep working on the pitch until 3 pm, suggests to me that there is actually a glimmer of hope.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I have a feeling they will get this on. If the gods of the rain do not throw too much more at us between now and kick off then I think there will be a game tonight.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Sunny and bright in Wiveliscombe at the moment.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Cloudy but dry at the moment in central London having been raining most of the morning.

Edit: Oops, sorry. I thought we were just telling each other about the weather in out own particular part of the world!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i'm in newton today and its alternating between glorious sunshine and torrential rain,my gut feeling is that it will be off once again

horribly wet everywhere while out walking the dog, fingers crossed i'm wrong, as i'd love to see a game before i head back up north tomorrow

a proper 1970s style mudbath would be great

btw just had an ace pasty from fermoys, its the one i've been looking for for years in the northern wildernesses!!
still keeping the faith
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Glorious sunshine in north devon. Dog walking field very wet but walkable except in the area previously reported as suffering from the drainage problem. This area still remains unwalkable. With further showers forecast for this afternoon I am calling in a Health And Safety Executive from the Council at 3pm to assess the likelyhood of this evenings dog walk going ahead.
Prospects for the evening walk remain unlikely at best.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

mansfields and newports home games tonight have just been called off. :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Game will be on if the rain does not hit hard. Groundstaff working bloody hard but are hopeful of football tonight.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

We shouldn't blame the club or the ref for this. I have been watching the news for the past few days and it seems there is a row between one very fat bloke in the Government and another slighly less fat bloke who runs the "Environment Agency". The slightly less fat bloke also runs the Advertising Standards Authority, so he must be immensely talented or very well connected or have something on Tony Blair. Anyway, the very fat bloke blames the slightly less fat bloke for the floods (which must include Plainmoor) and the slightly less fat bloke says not his fault. A very poncey bloke called Dave, who apparently runs the country, says that nobody is to blame. The very fat bloke says that we have to keep giving piles of cash to African countries for their dodgy Presidents to buy new BMWs and that this will stop global warming which causes the floods. I just hope that it all works out in time for the game to be on tonight, but it is all very confusing.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:mansfields and newports home games tonight have just been called off. :-/
That'll be the sunken drains at Plainmoor striking again...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:mansfields and newports home games tonight have just been called off. :-/
Yes, and it appears that the inspection at Newport (and the decision to call it off) was made by OUR referee for tonight! Let's hope he is a little more forgiving when it comes to our pitch!!!

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... 1001863._/?

Interestingly, Newport have become so desperate to get a game on that they tried some sort of dome on the half of their pitch that is under water .... clearly though, even that wasn't enough to save another game from being postponed!