Hargreaves signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

tomogull wrote: Yes - I suffered the two goals again on the tele tonight (they didn't bother to show Pearce's goal !!). As good as Pokey has been in recent weeks, he didn't cover himself with glory last night. Both goals looked even worse on tele - Sinclair had the freedom of Plainmoor. Couple of questions - 1. has anyone heard the extent of Bodin's injury ? 2. when does the loan transfer window close?
1. Spoke to Billy and he doesn't know yet apparently
2. Says on football forum 22nd march I am probably wrong though
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ethantufcbaker wrote: 1. Spoke to Billy and he doesn't know yet apparently
2. Says on football forum 22nd march I am probably wrong though
Cheers Ethan - thanks.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

tomogull wrote: Cheers Ethan - thanks.
If you want to ask billy, he is on twitter like the rest but he just said to me I dont know yet mate or something like that
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:Hector, that's what is so puzzling. As awful as they were from what you saw last night they were the polar opposite away from home. The fans at Pompey were loud and very supportive, could it possibly be the negative influence of a home crowd? If not then what could possibly cause two such contrasting performances? Both were must win games so it's a mystery. I think we need to persist with the nucleus but somehow try to get a better attacking option.

I think there is an element of truth to what you say. The weather didn't help in terms of atmosphere - it must have knocked a fair few off the gate but to be honest, it was the dreadful start - two goals down within quarter of an hour that killed the game and the atmosphere.

Northampton looked quite quick and Sinclair knows how to finish, although both goals were gifts really, with Nicholson and/or O'Connor at fault for both.

It looked like we might get an equaliser for first 10 mins of 2nd half but after that it was all huff and puff. Had we been 2 up after 15 mins there would have been quite a carnival atmosphere (obvious, I know) but as soon as they scored the opener, you just sensed it would be one of those nights...

Hargreaves first home game but delayed for so long that the sort of euphoric feeling his appointment generated had worn away perhaps - certainly it could not persuade many to go (although the weather had an effect)

Knill returning to spoil the first night of his successor - you sort of knew it would happen with the biggest irony that Knill has won nearly as many games with Northampton at Plainmoor, as he did with us.

Torquay blow opportunities like last night to put daylight between them and the bottom club...it's what we do...

Plus, we are crap.

A forward roster with the likes of Benyon and Hawley spells only one thing...and that is not even Skrill anymore...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not going to level any criticism over player signings made by Chris Hargreaves. Stockley was petty much already here and an obvious signing given the Bournemouth connections, Rudge was clearly brought to cover for Mansell's injury which seems to have cleared up faster than first thought.

O'Brien not seen enough of to comment, Goodwin, probably deserved more credit from me, on my match report and motm votes, but playing out wide to me looked an alien position to him, he's defiantly got something about him, in my humble opinion as a fan, would like to see him up top with Stockley, Goodwin is very quick and looks to have tricks in his locker, could be the striker we've all been on about. Danny Stevens, enough already said, numbers game signing, likely to be on a pittance , waste of time signing ? time will tell.

What concerns me more was reading this..http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 54820.aspx and something said by CH "It's a learning curve for the younger players in the team" That reads to me that CH perhaps thinks that inexperience was largely to blame for Tuesday night, if that is the case, think you've made a huge mistake there Greavsie, again my opinion as a fan, I 100% full on think the senior pro's, in fact going to point the finger right at the two most experienced player we have, they actually were the ones that let the younger players down. This is not Nicho bashing, but his lack of pace constantly caused a problem, you can see after the second goal O'Connor was clearly unhappy with Nicho, O'Connor constantly had to babysit the left back position, and manse on the other side by his own admission was awful.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

tomogull wrote:
Certainly not negative but I would say subdued.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

bobby93 wrote: Certainly not negative but I would say subdued.
I agree, the crowd was subdued. Gulls fans were also shellshocked because of the gift of two early goals to Northampton, the realisation that the referee was an utter cretin and the appalling foul which nearly crippled Bodin. The crowd's morale was lowered even further by the way that Northampton players got in the faces of the Gulls team from the start of the game (with zero response from some of our team, Labadie excepted) and the fact that some of our players were playing like donkeys.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

gullintwoplaces wrote:
I agree, the crowd was subdued. Gulls fans were also shellshocked because of the gift of two early goals to Northampton, the realisation that the referee was an utter cretin and the appalling foul which nearly crippled Bodin. The crowd's morale was lowered even further by the way that Northampton players got in the faces of the Gulls team from the start of the game (with zero response from some of our team, Labadie excepted) and the fact that some of our players were playing like donkeys.
Sounds like a reasonable assessment to me.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Is this the turd who scored 10 goals 2 seasons ago. Do you think wecwill get someone to score 10 this season. :rofl:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Is this the turd who scored 10 goals 2 seasons ago. Do you think we will get someone to score 10 this season. :rofl:
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

id put Downes upfront!
The gulls are going up
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

gullno4 wrote:id put Downes upfront!
That could actually be a very good idea pal. There's been many a defender made a better striker, Norwich Citys centre half Chris Sutton and Sheffield Wednesdays Paul Warhurst to name a couple.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

When Hargreaves was appointed Manager I had 3 concerns and questions:
(1) Was he too close to the senior players?
(2) Did he have the necessary managerial tactical experience?
(3) Has he the necessary contacts?
Following the reports of the Northampton game it would appear that the answer to (1) is yes and to (2) is no. The answer to (3) remains to be seen.
However this is only based on 1 game but experience takes time which raises the question have we got the time? I hope he learns quickly
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Why the obsession with 'experienced managers'? Every single experienced manager we could hope to get has a CV full of failure. Northampton only got Wilder because they could afford the compensation to Oxford.
We have a bright young manager, he may end up being crap, he may end up managing England one day. Who knows, but one thing I do know, Knill, Ling and all the other 'experienced' managers we've had over the years, we've known that they were here because they could never hope to do better.
Look at our recent successful managers. Buckle, Rosenior, Hodges. All young inexperienced managers.
With our support and the support of the players, the board and his backroom team hopefully Chris can get us over the line this year and then go on to a long and successful career in TQ1
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For me, being to close to senior players was the only concern I had as a fan over CH, time will tell looking at his team selections and performances over the next few weeks. Chris Hargreaves was a professional footballer for over 20 years, making friends amongst team mates and other players in the game that our now coaching, also former managers and coach's that CH would worked under maybe still in the game, so contacts will not be a problem, also no manager can legislate no matter how the they prepare what game plan tactical set up they adopt for the team no turning up and your two fullbacks going a.w.o.l
Formerly known as forevertufc