Hargreaves signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
camberwick green
New Signing
New Signing

Post by camberwick green »

ferrarilover wrote:Rich is quite right. If you want to see what a terrible team with a 20 goal striker can achieve, take a trip to Plymouth. Lose Reid from that squad and they go down. The squad, the manager, the club are fodder, but they've got a striker who scores every week and a bit of luck with penalties and they're pushing for the Playoffs.

If one of our players goes on a hot streak of, say, 5 in 5, we'll be alright, that's how close we are to being an average team. That's not necessarily because we're good, but perhaps because the division is so poor.

Matt.
Your "analysis" is, in fact, some way wide of the mark. It's not just because of Reid that Plymouth Argyle are comfortably mid-table. You should have taken a look at the stats. Only 6 teams in the division have conceded fewer goals. Leaders Chesterfield have conceded just 4 fewer.
Fodder? How come "5 in 5" and you're "an average team" but 10 goals from Reid and we're "fodder"?
I've no objection to you taking a pop at my team if it's merited. What bugs me is that you try to pass off a half-baked opinion to support your ill-considered theory. Argyle have a half-decent defence, a striker who has so many flaws to his game that many wouldn't have him in the side and a weak midfield. If you think the team can make the playoffs then you have more faith than most of us. As for the Gulls, yes, a hot streak from the strikers would go a long way but the back five will have to shape up. Performances like Tuesday night mean relegation. I know. I was there.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If anyone is an expert in performances like Tuesday night meaning relegation, it's certainly a Plymouth Argyle fan...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think the Plymouth fan is correct. We need to get the defence sorted out. Tuesday night we were all over the place and I dread to think what Chesterfield might do to us if we see a repeat of that today.

Instead of signing all of these young forwards - do we really need FOUR of them on loan? - perhaps we should be looking to bolster the defence. Sign a good left-back on loan. Also, instead of signing youngsters from the academies of Championship clubs, perhaps we could look to recruit an out of favour experienced player.

The team lacks guile.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

camberwick green wrote: Your "analysis" is, in fact, some way wide of the mark. It's not just because of Reid that Plymouth Argyle are comfortably mid-table. You should have taken a look at the stats. Only 6 teams in the division have conceded fewer goals. Leaders Chesterfield have conceded just 4 fewer.
Fodder? How come "5 in 5" and you're "an average team" but 10 goals from Reid and we're "fodder"?
I've no objection to you taking a pop at my team if it's merited. What bugs me is that you try to pass off a half-baked opinion to support your ill-considered theory. Argyle have a half-decent defence, a striker who has so many flaws to his game that many wouldn't have him in the side and a weak midfield. If you think the team can make the playoffs then you have more faith than most of us. As for the Gulls, yes, a hot streak from the strikers would go a long way but the back five will have to shape up. Performances like Tuesday night mean relegation. I know. I was there.
I have. Reid's goals have been worth 14 points to you this season. Take away those 14 points and, surprise surprise, Argyle are not comfortably mid table, they're bottom, one point behind the Cobblers.

You can whinge on all you like, cherry picking meaningless stats. Fact is, Reid has scored 11 of your 27 goals this year and without him and them, you'd be ****. All this talk of the Playoffs/autos next season on your board is hilarious. If the division is better next year than it is this time round and Reid goes back where he belongs, you're going to be favourites for the drop.

Massive surprise today, no penalty in your favour and no Reid goal and, at HT, you're 2-0 down at home.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"