Chesterfield v Torquay United match thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote:No thats fair enough - if we had lost 8-0 you would hold your hands up. Obviously I wasn't at the game but it didn't sound as though they had created a chance. The longer it went there was a chance we would nick one and thats what happened. Game plan working superbly. Then Poke hands them a goal. We are all over the shop but seem to weather the storm. We then play three centre backs and lose the game 3-1 because for their second goal we have let their centre half run straight through the middle.
I know we hit the post but honestly what a give away.
Perhaps Hargreaves might have realised that Goodwin maybe the player to fire us up. Seems he is a striker so get him up front with Stockley next week and play Bodin and Chapple on the wings. If Accrington have four forwards better than that then fair enough we are relegated.
Goodwin if nothing else is seriously quick so for f*** sake get him up the front.
Last chance saloon next week god knows how but we need six points preferably four.
If we cannot beat Accrington we deserve to go down.
Totally agree, said the same in a post I made yesterday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seems like Pearce had an excellent game again. And Knill left him out for two months. Cheers Alan.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Just back from the match

Can't believe we've not got anything from the game. We deserved at least a point.

On this performance I don't think we will go down though.We have some quality in the side now.

A great goal from Goodwin.
TUST No 278
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Stephano. Just a question, but what bloody planet are you on?
18 points from the next 8 games? You're "aving a laff. We will be lucky to get another 18 points in the rest of the season.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Will continue to support, hope, might even take up praying, could consider converting to Islam, do anything to see the team stay up, but alas if that doesn't happen, said all the way along I would not and meant it, I will not be parting with my hard earned wedge for a conference season ticket.

The damage was done long before this season, it was done while we as a club were concentrating and spending a fortune on projects like the training ground, which we still can't use, instead of investing in a team, we've been in a trance for 18 months and could now pay a high price for that.
Last edited by Dave on 15 Feb 2014, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Next Saturday vs Accrington is huge we've got to pick the points up to stay in catching distance of the teams above us

Need a positive vocal crowd and the game on!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

diamondgirl wrote:Stephano. Just a question, but what bloody planet are you on?
18 points from the next 8 games? You're "aving a laff. We will be lucky to get another 18 points in the rest of the season.
Don't worry about me DG I am completely barking! But a prediction isn't real life and as I don't put money on it it really doesn't matter what the prediction is. You are right though. We have been doing quite well away so perhaps it should be 21 points from the next 8 ;-)

PS. Please don't call me Stephano. Sounds very girlie :nod:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It seems that Goodwin is raw and I wonder if Hargreaves trusts him to play up front. I really feel that its time to take a risk. He doesn't have to be the complete player he is seriously quick and knows where the goal is. That is all we need at this level.
Just heard the league table and Hartlepool are actually EIGHTH - does anybody seriously believe that. Can anyone seriously tell me they have better players than us.
Believe it or not its not all over and we have been in a worse position than this so far this season.
Don't care what anybody says this league is seriously crap. We have O'Connor,Pearce,Labadie.Chapple,Bodin and Goodwin. Are these players worse than those in the bottom half of the table - No. We need to **** man up and quickly.
This includes the players and the fans as well.
Three points next saturday. Minimum requirement.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

I thought Stockley was very poor, I'll be surprised if he is in the side next week.

I'd swap him with Wilkinson.

Apart from that I thought the rest of the side did OK, Pearce and Goodwin the pick of the bunch for me.
TUST No 278
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:It seems that Goodwin is raw and I wonder if Hargreaves trusts him to play up front. I really feel that its time to take a risk. He doesn't have to be the complete player he is seriously quick and knows where the goal is. That is all we need at this level.
Just heard the league table and Hartlepool are actually EIGHTH - does anybody seriously believe that. Can anyone seriously tell me they have better players than us.
Believe it or not its not all over and we have been in a worse position than this so far this season.
Don't care what anybody says this league is seriously crap. We have O'Connor,Pearce,Labadie.Chapple,Bodin and Goodwin. Are these players worse than those in the bottom half of the table - No. We need to **** man up and quickly.
This includes the players and the fans as well.
Three points next saturday. Minimum requirement.
Top **** posting, that man.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Ha ha ok Stefan. No more Stephano. And I like your optimism. :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I struggle to see where we go from here.

We have changed the manager and signed some new players but the damage of Knill's tenure is probably too much for us to overturn. A gap is starting to appear and ourselves and Northampton look as though we could get cut adrift fairly soon. It's depressing but the weather - as stupid as it sounds - put pay to any momentum of CH being appointed having a galvanising effect and it feels like we are back to what we were.

Relegation seems so unnecessary after the rebuilding of the club but whilst I will still go and support the team and my heart hopes we can escape, my head is telling me that we won't and the Conference is our future.

CH will at least hopefully be able to rebuild a team to his own design and not rely on loanees all the time.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

hector wrote:I struggle to see where we go from here.

We have changed the manager and signed some new players but the damage of Knill's tenure is probably too much for us to overturn. A gap is starting to appear and ourselves and Northampton look as though we could get cut adrift fairly soon. It's depressing but the weather - as stupid as it sounds - put pay to any momentum of CH being appointed having a galvanising effect and it feels like we are back to what we were.

Relegation seems so unnecessary after the rebuilding of the club but whilst I will still go and support the team and my heart hopes we can escape, my head is telling me that we won't and the Conference is our future.

CH will at least hopefully be able to rebuild a team to his own design and not rely on loanees all the time.
Hector - the Northampton result was a kick in the groin. Today's result was expected in all honesty but it seems from reports on here that we were far from outplayed. There are 16 games left so still a good number of points to play for. CH has to find a settled side that will grind out results and get us to safety (hopefully). I am 100% sure that there are players at the club who can get us out of the mire. There is still time so we mustn't give up hope but it's going to be one hell of a roller coaster !
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The weather will improve, and with no more postponements we should be able to build up a momentum of good performances on decent pitches. We are no worse than many of the teams in the lower half of League Two, and there is no reason why Chris Hargreaves should not be able to build a stable, solid, well-balanced team capable of a run of decent results as we move through into the Spring sunshine. Once we begin to do that, it's the teams above us and around us who will begin to get worried.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

There seems to me to be a bit of an over-reaction in the immediate aftermath of today's result. The damage today is purely psychological, not physical. No-one expected us to get anything from this fixture, so why all the fuss after the defeat?

I walked out of the ground and I was absolutely gutted/devastated by what I had just seen, but today we HAVE to take the positives, we simply can not afford to focus on the negatives, otherwise we may as well admit defeat and give up here and now.

After gifting Chesterfield an early chance to rattle our bar, the next 50 minutes could be described as some of the most even, honest league two football I have seen all season. A lot of the fans from various other teams who had joined us for the day struggled to see how we could be so lowly, and Chesterfield so high, based on today's match up.

Goodwin's goal was excellent, he knew exactly what he was going to do from the moment he set off, and he executed it superbly, it was a superb finish. Instead of sitting back, we went hunting for a second and were playing confidently, you simply can not legislate for what happened next. Michael Poke has probably kicked the ball more times than I've had hot dinners, the fact he chose today to forget how to do it properly is unfortunate timing to say the least. But you absolutely can not blame or accuse the rest of the team's performance dropping because of it, it did not.

When you get a bit of good fortune handed to you (one they did not necessarily deserve) it galvanises you, willed on by a stirred home crowd Chesterfield did crank up the pressure. Even when they took the lead our heads did not drop. We created two or three excellent opportunities. Goodwin's shot from distance cannons off the inside of the post, it is just bad luck. I thought Wilkinson looked very capable when he came on, I am not blaming him for his miss one bit, it was a much harder chance than what it has been made out to be. I would certainly start him in the next game.

Their third goal is simply irrelevant because we had pushed so far up looking for an equaliser. Today isn't a signifier that we are going down, it is the exact opposite. Take the score line out of the equation and we have matched the league leaders and given them a really good game. Had our goalkeeper not made a massive blunder I do not think we would have lost 3-1, I don't think we would have lost. We may even have hung on a'la Pompey. We may have caught them on the counter-attack. Poke's blunder was a one-off, he well never do that again. It completely changed the course of the game.

Wallowing in the fact that we lost the match is not going to help, especially when everyone expected us to lose anyway. It doesn't make any sense. Take heart from the fact we played well and created a lot more opportunities in this match than we have in most throughout the season. Know that we have some very capable young players in our squad and know that threatening not to bother again this season is futile, and that lending your support to two massive home games next week is far more important. Two bad results in those two and then we might start panicking.

Honestly, I don't know how it sounded on the radio, but we did really well today and its a big step to convincing me that we'll be ok this season. We most certainly did not bottle it today.