Chesterfield v Torquay United match thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote: Neither you nor Dave stands where I stand (down that end), that much is obvious from your reading of the second goal. From down that end, it was as clear as day that Poke came, then retreated for the second goal. Had he committed to coming, he would have got there. Had he even been slow and stuck with his decision to come, he'd have given himself a much better chance of stopping the shot by closing down the ball. As it was, he retreated to the safety of his line and was routinely beaten by a man who had about 6 months to make up his mind what to do.

Yeah, sure, the defending wasn't great, but Poke on his game (or a blindfolded Bobby Olejnik) makes two saves from two shots there.

Matt.
You are talking nonsense here. Poke had to retreat because I doubt for one minute he had anticipated the suicidal defending from Nicholson/O'Connor. Not once. But twice.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Away at the team top of the league and we have the worst goals against ratio of all the clubs in l2. Poke makes a total howler when we are gradually turning the screw and frustrating them (up to this point Hargreaves had done what Knill failed to and set us up so that Chestrfield didn't have any space or time on the ball as that is how they play every week) and then they go on and get the win. If Poke doesn't make that error then we get a draw at the very least so there is no panic. We need to start puttign teams to bed at Plainmoor starting with Accy on saturday for which i am coming down for. Really really annoyed at losing at Chesterfield as we could have quite easily won. That leveller gave them and the crowd the impetus and changed the game. Great to stand with Ben again and Taxilady and also to see Gaz and his old boy but also slightly peturbed to be surounded by Landaners. :lol:

We have to sort out our home form sharpish or we've a mountain to climb. We will and i'll be waving when i reach the top.

COME ON !!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Yay ! Andy's back online ! :clap:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

taxilady wrote:Yay ! Andy's back online ! :clap:
we're doomed. :devil:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oi! :red:

Apologies for the appalling spelling earlier, don't want to incur the wrath of Matt. :na: I'm on a works pc and the connection speed is, well, let's just say i can run faster. I'm 17 stone. Whenever i type quickly it misses out letters and i can't be arsed to go back and read what i've written. A bit like many of you. :)

Basically i think my analogy about the possible 'mountain to climb' and us not getting our home form sorted kind of didn't work the way i meant as i then added that i would be at the top come the end of the season waving. This indicates that i believe that we WILL end up having a mountain to climb and that Chris won't get us out of it which is not true. It was a bad example.

Chris will get us out of it but i feel it will be by the very skins of our pearly whites, or in my case, dull greys. I do hammer the ale but only use Sensodyne at the minute because it has no SLS. Basically when you brush your teeth or wash in Lynx or shampo with Timotei you are exposing your skin to carcinogenic compound Sodium Lauryl Sulphate which is used as foaming agent in industry but they whack it in nearly every beauty product known to man because e like to feel lathered even if it gives us the big C.

But about the game, really impressed with the tactics off Chris for this. As said, he worked out how Chesterfield play (as others have this season including York, Mansfield and even Northampton ) and set us up for it. But for Poke's howler we would have got at least a point in my opinion as apart from hitting the woodwork in the very first minute, up until the error we were in control and they had no chances at all to be honest. I'm not having a go at Poke, we all make mistakes. It's just that when you're down at the foot of the table totally random gaffes like that happen and usually against you. We move on to Accrington and get the ball rolling again.

I thought everyone played really well yesterday. My only concerns are about Jayden Stockley. Seen him a couple of times now and i don't get it. I've not seen a slower human being since i woke to get up for work last friday. At one point he chased a ball across the pitch and literally it took him about a minute to get to it and even then couldn't keep it in play. I'm sure with balls whiped into the box and the like he'd be a bonus in the air but as it wa he offered us nothing up top in terms of energy or running down channels etc. My other concern was the length of time it took Chris to see that we effectively had 10 men for the second half. They are only niggling concerns and i'm sure i've got it wrong abotu both but that was my gut feeling at the time. Other than that we did well.

Walking back to the car i overheard some Chesterfield fans saying that we were the worst side they'd seen this season. Should have broken their legs the cheeky bleeders! :lol: Of course i jest but i found it interesting to say the least. Not sure it is quite true but i'm sure i'll be seeing a few more woeful displays by the men in yellow before the season is out. I don't think yesterday was one of them but on one day we might play ok and get nowt and on another we might be really poor and get some points. We just have to take it game by game and whilst there is still touching distance between us and 3rd bottom then we've still got a ticket.

I'm off to Exmoor for a few days next weekend so will be getting my first taste of the bench. If i see taxilday i'll be sure to hide.........................errrr i mean say hi. :na: :lol: Every time i speak to her i accuse her of having family members that she doesn't have. ;-) It will be my first game at home this season so i fully expect the pitch to be waterlogged and the game postponed or otherwise i'll get bird flu and will have to cancel. If the game is on then i'm very much looking forward to it and i shall be spending a fair wedge in the club shop too! Can't wait! Then next up for me will be Hartlepool away the weekend after and back to the north. Happy days either way.

I post sporadically now because my internet has been cut off until i pay the phone bill and also that a few people make me sad and tearful. :'(

Cheers for the support Charlton fans, little do they know that i was sat with the very same fans in that very same away end last season when they played Chesterfield. I couldn't understand a word they were saying but i also had trouble with Ben yesterday too and his wonderfully dulcet devonian tones. On one occasion i broke the unwritten rule by asking him to repeat himself 4 TIMES on one particular occasion. I'm getting the hang of it now and the answer was 'pushed'. :na:

Anyway, i'm off for a pat cash so just time to say RUDDY HELL - IT'S SOFT CELL!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Away at the team top of the league and we have the worst goals against ratio of all the clubs in l2. Poke makes a total howler when we are gradually turning the screw and frustrating them (up to this point Hargreaves had done what Knill failed to and set us up so that Chestrfield didn't have any space or time on the ball as that is how they play every week) and then they go on and get the win. If Poke doesn't make that error then we get a draw at the very least so there is no panic. We need to start puttign teams to bed at Plainmoor starting with Accy on saturday for which i am coming down for. Really really annoyed at losing at Chesterfield as we could have quite easily won. That leveller gave them and the crowd the impetus and changed the game. Great to stand with Ben again and Taxilady and also to see Gaz and his old boy but also slightly peturbed to be surounded by Landaners. :lol:

We have to sort out our home form sharpish or we've a mountain to climb. We will and i'll be waving when i reach the top.

COME ON !!
welcome back
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Thanks arcadia.

If i can also add a extra mention to the lads for the effort yesterday. Let's not forget that Chesterfield have bought half of their squad and are paying them with money they don't have. As a Chesterfield Borough Council taxpayer i am aware of the debts the club have to the local authority when it came to building the ProAct so once again it's a case of the cheats get all the good fortune whilst the little guys who run themselves properly get left to fight relegation and potential administration in some cases. Well done the Torquay boys!!!! Heads up, held high and get steamed into Accy on saturday lads! :scarf:
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

How much longer will Andy be Anthea ? Until he wears a dress to The Bench ? :) :S
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

taxilady wrote:How much longer will Andy be Anthea ? Until he wears a dress to The Bench ? :) :S
no forever. (sorry dave.)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Pringlejumperman

Post by Pringlejumperman »

Just want to say the Chesterfield match is over gone finished we lost no points end of . we move on that's what we do now . so bring on Saturday and start again up the Gulls
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Horrendous mistake from Poke rounding off a shoddy week for him personally. Still think Ricey didn't deserve to be dropped nor are we any better off with Poke in goal but there we go.

One thing that I'm surprised no one else picked up was how Pearce wasn't side on to the play so he could have reacted to Pokes mistake. By walking out with his back to play is a schoolboy u10s mistake whereas if he was watching the play he could have hooked it on or headed it back or done something about it. Doesn't excuse Poke but Pearce needs to take a slice of the blame as well.