Burton Match-day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Eddie the Gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: HARDING

Post by Eddie the Gull »

Neal wrote:We were gone weeks if not months ago. We have a very bad squad of players who don't deserve to be in the football league. If crap like Hawley, Harding etc are still with us in the conference I ain't paying one f ing penny next season.
'crap' like Harding - you mean your captain tonight, how very disrespectful
Last edited by Eddie the Gull on 25 Feb 2014, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Performance tonight had pride and passion from the players, can't fault effort and commitment of the team, and that's the frustrating thing, had we played with those levels of commitment in our last two games we might be sat in a much better position, 7pts plus goal difference, our goose is now as good as cooked, but it's important we don't give up until the fat lady sings, she's only warming her voice for us at the moment.

I've been a harsh critic of Kevin Nicholson's all season, Nicho, stand up and take a bow, that was a fantastic personal performance from you, why oh why has it taken you so long to show it, that was the Nicho of old and been badly missed.

Mansell shouldn't play again, but sadly think as soon as he's fit he will. Harding showed tonight what we've been missing all season in midfield, real physical presence, good first touch, Lathrope calm on the ball, can pass it as well, those two should stay in the team, but will they, some how highly doubt it.

Not Wilkinson's fault, he's very young, and doesn't have the physical stature for league 2, he a was awful against Accy tonight never in the game, as soon as Stockley came on, changed everything for us, we must try and keep him fit, if we're to have any chance of escaping this.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

chardie wrote:

You buy a beer token before the game and then they pour the pint just before half time and you then come and collect it. Surprised the club don't do this already, it's done at other clubs.
Just another example of how backward the club is with its thinking. I think it must be the only ground I've been to where three members of staff pull pints as they are ordered instead of having a row of pints ready to ease the flow of punters.

Dreadful organisation.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Eddie the Gull wrote: 'crap' like Harding - you mean your captain tonight, how very disrespectful
Agree Eddie, anyone who was actually at the game tonight and thinks Harding was crap, is either brain cell dead, or utterly clueless about football.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

At first sight of the team at KO I thought we were on a hiding to nothing. In reality Chris set the side up and they played quite well we saw crosses chances and a midfield passing and moving. Poke had a good game, Lathrop Harding and Stevens were sharp. The back four did ok O'Conner was still doing a little to much on the ball and Nicholson must have had a mars bar before the game as he played well.
Wilkinson let himself down when he was substituted but Stockley made us forget that and I was pleased to see Billy back and it would have rounded off a good day if he had scored on the last. A good performance best of luck Saturday.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

How much better we would have been if Harding had played all season. PLEASE NO MANSELL !! Harding Lathrope Ladadie & even Stevens but no Mansell !!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Burnhamgull wrote: Just another example of how backward the club is with its thinking. I think it must be the only ground I've been to where three members of staff pull pints as they are ordered instead of having a row of pints ready to ease the flow of punters.

Dreadful organisation.
If Boots was anything to do with the club, this would be fair comment. As it is, it's compete bollocks and shows you up as a club bashing moron. Still, I'm sure your mother loves you just the way you are.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Matt, I thought that Boots and Laces is franchised by the club, is that right ? If so then saying Boots and Laces has nothing to do with the club is not strictly true, although the management of the pub is day to day down to the franchisee, the club as the franchisor wouldn't be to happy if they didn't get franchise fee's paid.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Dutchgull wrote:How much better we would have been if Harding had played all season. PLEASE NO MANSELL !! Harding Lathrope Ladadie & even Stevens but no Mansell !!
Too right. Glad to hear Harding had a good game. Labadie and Harding both unbeaten as TUFC skippers.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Mansell gave away the ball 8 times in the Northampton match. The entire midfield made fewer mistakes today between them.

Harding's performance today was simply first class and he was helped by a really impressive performance from Lathrope today who spent the entire match doing the simple things right and would be first on my team sheet, especially away from home.

Based on what we saw today Mansell just cannot be considered to start on Saturday.

The other interesting note today was Hargreaves (non) reaction to Wilkinson when he subbed him. That compared to the reaction the other 2 substituted players got, would indicate that we may have seen the last of Wilkinson.....the good thing was how impressive Stockley was as a target man....

my starting line up would be the same as tonight with Stockley starting instead of Wilkinson

If we play with this much guts and determination we will get points most weeks in this division...so I have not given up hope just yet
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Excellent result overshadowed by terrible results elsewhere. Exeter, the useless [swear filter] were always going to lose tonight, as were [swear filter] Southend.
Burton reminded me of us. They did fine up until the final third, where they ran out of ideas completely.

As I've said elsewhere, we always seem to put in a performance at a point or two out of ten below our opponents. If we'd have played against Accrington like we did tonight, we'd have run out comfortable winners by half time. Then again, if we'd have played tonight as we did against Accrington, we''d have lost about 8-0.

I'm not going to yack on about Manse, but we didn't miss his "leadership" one bit tonight. Harding was the Harding we lost way back when, not the Harding we saw at the very start of the season. His cross for the goal was undefendable (no, save your time, it isn't a real word... yet). We had the better chances to win it, but they weren't really good chances. Of course the late free kick went wide, why would it go in, that never happens to us.

8 wins, 4 draws, 4 losses is probably enough. We won't get them, but if we play like that, we'll come close. As has been said many, many times, the division this year is an embarrassment to football. That we played as we did tonight (it would have been one of our worst performances of the season a couple of years ago) and got a deserved point against automatic promotion candidates really does demonstrate that.

For the players, there wasn't really a weak link. Wilkinson didn't do anything to make me feel better about his chances of making the big time. Stockley, however, did. He finally made use of his size and won his individual battle. Benyon was very good indeed. Stevens, as he always is against Burton, was very good. Quite why he wasn't simply crowded out by the big Burton middle men is a mystery destined to remain unsolved for all of time. Even on a terrible pitch, he more than played his part. Harding was ace, as I've already said. The back four were alright. Pearce did his usual and hacked a few miles out of the ground while under no pressure, but was generally very solid. Nico had an excellent game. If only he could produce that more often. Poke did very little. He did make a bit of a hash of one towards the end, but it resulted in a kick rather than a catch, no harm done. If you ask the ref, he'll say that Pokey got his hand to a a shot which was clear of two feet above the bar. Apparently, he morphs into Stretch Armstrong on Tuesday evenings...

That team producing that football can beat Hartlepool. Burton got a lot of breaks tonight (including their goal). They did deserve their point (score draw was fair), but I think they're better than Hartlepool. I'm not going and I've no doubt we'll revert to being [swear filter], but it's nice, for a couple of days at least, to believe that we might not be as bad as we really are.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

ferrarilover wrote:Excellent result overshadowed by terrible results elsewhere. Exeter, the useless [swear filter] were always going to lose tonight, as were [swear filter] Southend.
Burton reminded me of us. They did fine up until the final third, where they ran out of ideas completely.

As I've said elsewhere, we always seem to put in a performance at a point or two out of ten below our opponents. If we'd have played against Accrington like we did tonight, we'd have run out comfortable winners by half time. Then again, if we'd have played tonight as we did against Accrington, we''d have lost about 8-0.

I'm not going to yack on about Manse, but we didn't miss his "leadership" one bit tonight. Harding was the Harding we lost way back when, not the Harding we saw at the very start of the season. His cross for the goal was undefendable (no, save your time, it isn't a real word... yet). We had the better chances to win it, but they weren't really good chances. Of course the late free kick went wide, why would it go in, that never happens to us.

8 wins, 4 draws, 4 losses is probably enough. We won't get them, but if we play like that, we'll come close. As has been said many, many times, the division this year is an embarrassment to football. That we played as we did tonight (it would have been one of our worst performances of the season a couple of years ago) and got a deserved point against automatic promotion candidates really does demonstrate that.

For the players, there wasn't really a weak link. Wilkinson didn't do anything to make me feel better about his chances of making the big time. Stockley, however, did. He finally made use of his size and won his individual battle. Benyon was very good indeed. Stevens, as he always is against Burton, was very good. Quite why he wasn't simply crowded out by the big Burton middle men is a mystery destined to remain unsolved for all of time. Even on a terrible pitch, he more than played his part. Harding was ace, as I've already said. The back four were alright. Pearce did his usual and hacked a few miles out of the ground while under no pressure, but was generally very solid. Nico had an excellent game. If only he could produce that more often. Poke did very little. He did make a bit of a hash of one towards the end, but it resulted in a kick rather than a catch, no harm done. If you ask the ref, he'll say that Pokey got his hand to a a shot which was clear of two feet above the bar. Apparently, he morphs into Stretch Armstrong on Tuesday evenings...

That team producing that football can beat Hartlepool. Burton got a lot of breaks tonight (including their goal). They did deserve their point (score draw was fair), but I think they're better than Hartlepool. I'm not going and I've no doubt we'll revert to being [swear filter], but it's nice, for a couple of days at least, to believe that we might not be as bad as we really are.

Matt.
:goodpost:

Its still possible, 14games, 42 points

Seems like the right combination of players is coming, but we need to start winning!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Plenty of positives to take from tonight's performance which in normal circumstances would have been seen as a decent point against Play off contenders. I thought the midfield functioned much better than it has done (least ways at Plainmoor) with Harding the stand out player but ably supported by Lathrope and Stevens. Benyon was excellent in the first half and Stockley likewise was also excellent when he came on early in the second half for the largely ineffective Wilkinson.

Nico had one of his best games in recent memory, particularly second half when not only did he cut out a number of attacks down our left side but he also delivered some excellent crosses. Good to see Downes back at the heart of our defence and he and Pearce both had good games. Like others have said, although very good in parts, young O'Connor does overplay in dangerous situations and is an accident waiting to happen at times, he needs to cut that out of his game. Young Goodwin tried hard but showed a shocking lack of control on occasions.

Overall a decent performance albeit patchy in places. We could quite easily have lost the game in the second half when Burton carved out a couple of very presentable chances which Poke did well to save. It is easy to see why we are where we are though as we are always prone to a defensive lapse and are still far too shot shy in front of goal.

After the rage I felt after the successive home defeats to Northampton and Accrington, I feel a calm sense of resignation tonight. I have accepted that it is now very unlikely that we will be able to save ourselves from the drop and indeed feel that the club should actually start planning for next season in the Conference. I really don't see the point in the club throwing any more of what little money we or should I say Thea) has at trying to stop the inevitable.

The focus should now be on what we have, what we need and who is likely to be on board next season (in the Conference). i would start by sending back the young loanees, Rudge and O'Brien have already gone and should be followed out the door by young Goodwin who has done ok for us but let's face it is a Brighton player and highly unlikely to be with us next season. As for Wilkinson, thought he was pretty poor tonight and displayed a similarly poor attitude when substituted ... send him back! I think we should keep young Stockley as there is always a chance he could be with us next year, either on a season loan (if retained by Bournemouth) or who knows even on a permanent basis. Young O'Connor is with us until the end of the season anyway, although highly unlikely we will see him in a yellow shirt next season.

I would also like to see the likes of Craig, Yeoman and Thompson recalled as decisions will need to be made on them this summer and it would make sense for Greavsie to have a closer look at them in a proper match situation. Hutchings and Sullivan can stay where they are as they are both gaining valuable experience in a first team set up and are both contracted for next season anyway.

Whilst Labadie has been a decent performer for us, albeit not as effective as last time around, it's pretty clear that he won't be hanging around if we inevitably drop out of the League. Likewise Cooper, who hasn't even kicked a ball in anger yet, and is still a "couple of weeks away" probably won't be with us come the end of the season and the way things are going we could be relegated by the time he is fit to play! Seems little point in sticking him in the team if he is off in May.

As for next season, we will undoubtedly suffer a massive drop in income when you consider that we will lose the FL/TV money, but not only that but our attendances will inevitably drop drastically too. League 2 in 2014-15 is shaping up to be a league stuffed full of what would have represented plenty of money spinning matches when you consider that not only will the likes of Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth most likely be competing in it but also every chance that Bristol City and most certainly Luton Town will be too. Some mouth watering games that sadly will probably not involve us.

But the flip side is that when you look at the likely make up of the Conference National next season there really isn't anything or anybody we should be scared of. Provided we can maintain our finances on a stable footing we would hopefully have one of the bigger budgets in the League and we will at least I believe receive a parachute payment in the first year. Who knows we might even get a lucky break and we trouser £500k from the sales of Eunan O'Kane to one of the Premiership big boys in the summer too. Not only that but at least this time around the infrastructure, bar some finishing off to the Training Ground at Seale Hayne, is all but in place now and so hopefully it would mean that the focus could be totally on the playing staff.

By my reckoning Greavsie will have 10 contracted pros next season (Tonge, Pearce, Downes, Harding, Chapell, Cameron, Hawley and Benyon + Sullivan and Hutchings. The rest are all out of contract and with one or two possible exceptions should all be allowed to leave in order to give the Manager the chance to rebuild. No doubt one or two of the contracted players will find pastures new too but anyway we should hopefully have a reasonable amount of quality left (at least at that level) to be competitive.

So, all is not doom and gloom should we go down albeit we will probably have to get used to seeing the sort of attendance we saw tonight on a far, far more regular basis. But, like I say, take a look at the teams that will likely be making up the Conference National next season and there really shouldn't be any reason why we couldn't have a real go at coming straight back up!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

yellowmonkey wrote:Gonna eat my pants in a minute
Skid marks and all no doubt. Just glad I wasn't stood near to see a man suffer.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

CP Gull wrote:Plenty of positives to take from tonight's performance which in normal circumstances would have been seen as a decent point against Play off contenders. I thought the midfield functioned much better than it has done (least ways at Plainmoor) with Harding the stand out player but ably supported by Lathrope and Stevens. Benyon was excellent in the first half and Stockley likewise was also excellent when he came on early in the second half for the largely ineffective Wilkinson.

Nico had one of his best games in recent memory, particularly second half when not only did he cut out a number of attacks down our left side but he also delivered some excellent crosses. Good to see Downes back at the heart of our defence and he and Pearce both had good games. Like others have said, although very good in parts, young O'Connor does overplay in dangerous situations and is an accident waiting to happen at times, he needs to cut that out of his game. Young Goodwin tried hard but showed a shocking lack of control on occasions.

Overall a decent performance albeit patchy in places. We could quite easily have lost the game in the second half when Burton carved out a couple of very presentable chances which Poke did well to save. It is easy to see why we are where we are though as we are always prone to a defensive lapse and are still far too shot shy in front of goal.

After the rage I felt after the successive home defeats to Northampton and Accrington, I feel a calm sense of resignation tonight. I have accepted that it is now very unlikely that we will be able to save ourselves from the drop and indeed feel that the club should actually start planning for next season in the Conference. I really don't see the point in the club throwing any more of what little money we or should I say Thea) has at trying to stop the inevitable.

The focus should now be on what we have, what we need and who is likely to be on board next season (in the Conference). i would start by sending back the young loanees, Rudge and O'Brien have already gone and should be followed out the door by young Goodwin who has done ok for us but let's face it is a Brighton player and highly unlikely to be with us next season. As for Wilkinson, thought he was pretty poor tonight and displayed a similarly poor attitude when substituted ... send him back! I think we should keep young Stockley as there is always a chance he could be with us next year, either on a season loan (if retained by Bournemouth) or who knows even on a permanent basis. Young O'Connor is with us until the end of the season anyway, although highly unlikely we will see him in a yellow shirt next season.

I would also like to see the likes of Craig, Yeoman and Thompson recalled as decisions will need to be made on them this summer and it would make sense for Greavsie to have a closer look at them in a proper match situation. Hutchings and Sullivan can stay where they are as they are both gaining valuable experience in a first team set up and are both contracted for next season anyway.

Whilst Labadie has been a decent performer for us, albeit not as effective as last time around, it's pretty clear that he won't be hanging around if we inevitably drop out of the League. Likewise Cooper, who hasn't even kicked a ball in anger yet, and is still a "couple of weeks away" probably won't be with us come the end of the season and the way things are going we could be relegated by the time he is fit to play! Seems little point in sticking him in the team if he is off in May.

As for next season, we will undoubtedly suffer a massive drop in income when you consider that we will lose the FL/TV money, but not only that but our attendances will inevitably drop drastically too. League 2 in 2014-15 is shaping up to be a league stuffed full of what would have represented plenty of money spinning matches when you consider that not only will the likes of Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth most likely be competing in it but also every chance that Bristol City and most certainly Luton Town will be too. Some mouth watering games that sadly will probably not involve us.

But the flip side is that when you look at the likely make up of the Conference National next season there really isn't anything or anybody we should be scared of. Provided we can maintain our finances on a stable footing we would hopefully have one of the bigger budgets in the League and we will at least I believe receive a parachute payment in the first year. Who knows we might even get a lucky break and we trouser £500k from the sales of Eunan O'Kane to one of the Premiership big boys in the summer too. Not only that but at least this time around the infrastructure, bar some finishing off to the Training Ground at Seale Hayne, is all but in place now and so hopefully it would mean that the focus could be totally on the playing staff.

By my reckoning Greavsie will have 10 contracted pros next season (Tonge, Pearce, Downes, Harding, Chapell, Cameron, Hawley and Benyon + Sullivan and Hutchings. The rest are all out of contract and with one or two possible exceptions should all be allowed to leave in order to give the Manager the chance to rebuild. No doubt one or two of the contracted players will find pastures new too but anyway we should hopefully have a reasonable amount of quality left (at least at that level) to be competitive.

So, all is not doom and gloom should we go down albeit we will probably have to get used to seeing the sort of attendance we saw tonight on a far, far more regular basis. But, like I say, take a look at the teams that will likely be making up the Conference National next season and there really shouldn't be any reason why we couldn't have a real go at coming straight back up!
I'm probably wrong but I thought Cooper's deal took him through next season as well. I probably imagined it.

Like you say - it's not the worst side to have in the Conference, but I think mid-table is more likely for us next year or just below the play-offs...I don't think we will be challenging.