Burton Match-day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We simply have to win a couple of games and quickly. Whilst it would appear that we are going down for certain we cannot afford to be relegated with a quarter of the season to go. If we become more detached we will be playing the remaining home games in front of 500 people.
Was there really a pitch inspection yesterday - blimey.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Burnhamgull wrote:I wouldn't consider myself a "club bashing moron" but as I've forked out thousands over the years on ST, merchandise and away trips, I think the club are in danger of losing supporters like me who have been continuously let down.

I never expect to see TUFC playing premier league football or winning trophies but I do expect to see competitiveness on the pitch and sadly, in my 25 years of supporting the club I've not even got a handful of promotions to remember. Very little in the way of cup runs and a plethora of relegation fights. Which means for the majority of my supporting life, I've watched a losing team.

Just for a while I'd like to go back to the Rosenior era and watch attacking football between players who actually know what they're doing and who know each other.

If we go down, I won't renew my ST. How many others are thinking the same?

Last night, 1583 people watched the game. How many came from outside Torbay?
I drove down from Stafford, risking my licence because I didn't leave until 4.50pm I could have stayed in a hotel and though sod it but I made the effort.

PS. Was I happy Mansell wasn't playing? Yes
Was I gutted to see Stevens playing after arriving 2 minutes into the game? Yes
Ahahaha, look at this bollocks, it's hilarious.

No one forces you to support the team. If it's been 25 years of wasted money, then fund another hobby.
No one forced you to risk your licence, no one forced you to pick Torquay.

You're not being 'let down', you're supporting a L2 football club. You say you've watched for 25 years. You've had two promotions and two relegations. You've had two Cup finals, two playoff finals, at least 4 playoff semis and you've seen what many describe as the best Torquay side in history. You've paid less to do so than at almost any other club in the country. You've seen the ground transformed without becoming another dreary identikit stadium. You've watched David Graham and Alex Russell, Eunan O'Kane and Bobby Olejnik. You've seen the club do something which many clubs many times our size have failed to do in being promoted from the Conference at the second attempt (having come bloody close first time)...

Yet you're pissed off because a bar near the ground can't force booze down your neck fast enough? **** hell, with friends like you...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote: Ahahaha, look at this bollocks, it's hilarious.

No one forces you to support the team. If it's been 25 years of wasted money, then fund another hobby.
No one forced you to risk your licence, no one forced you to pick Torquay.

You're not being 'let down', you're supporting a L2 football club. You say you've watched for 25 years. You've had two promotions and two relegations. You've had two Cup finals, two playoff finals, at least 4 playoff semis and you've seen what many describe as the best Torquay side in history. You've paid less to do so than at almost any other club in the country. You've seen the ground transformed without becoming another dreary identikit stadium. You've watched David Graham and Alex Russell, Eunan O'Kane and Bobby Olejnik. You've seen the club do something which many clubs many times our size have failed to do in being promoted from the Conference at the second attempt (having come bloody close first time)...

Yet you're pissed off because a bar near the ground can't force booze down your neck fast enough? f**king hell, with friends like you...

Matt.
On the flip side what you describe is few and far between because in a similar period there has been three relegations, countless relegation battles, 5 years on the trot of getting knocked out by non-league teams of the FA Cup, seeing the team 'managed' by Compton, Saunders, Cornforth, Kubik, Knill, players like Byng, Laight, Hancox be our forward line, players like Jimmy Aggrey giving goals away each week...so don't pretend we have had it good...for the most part it has been crap.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:We simply have to win a couple of games and quickly. Whilst it would appear that we are going down for certain we cannot afford to be relegated with a quarter of the season to go. If we become more detached we will be playing the remaining home games in front of 500 people.
Was there really a pitch inspection yesterday - blimey.
An even worse scenario Brucie - we go to the alternative St James Park with just three matches remaining. Wouldn't it be dreadful if we were already relegated by then ..... or relegated on that day? What a nightmare that would be. In fact I'd rather go shopping with the missus than endure that humiliation. :devil:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tomogull wrote: An even worse scenario Brucie - we go to the alternative St James Park with just three matches remaining. Wouldn't it be dreadful if we were already relegated by then ..... or relegated on that day? What a nightmare that would be. In fact I'd rather go shopping with the missus than endure that humiliation. :devil:
we could always pack the ground out and give the greeks the V sign.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Burnhamgull wrote:I wouldn't consider myself a "club bashing moron" but as I've forked out thousands over the years on ST, merchandise and away trips, I think the club are in danger of losing supporters like me who have been continuously let down.

I never expect to see TUFC playing premier league football or winning trophies but I do expect to see competitiveness on the pitch and sadly, in my 25 years of supporting the club I've not even got a handful of promotions to remember. Very little in the way of cup runs and a plethora of relegation fights. Which means for the majority of my supporting life, I've watched a losing team.

Just for a while I'd like to go back to the Rosenior era and watch attacking football between players who actually know what they're doing and who know each other.

If we go down, I won't renew my ST. How many others are thinking the same?

Last night, 1583 people watched the game. How many came from outside Torbay?
I drove down from Stafford, risking my licence because I didn't leave until 4.50pm I could have stayed in a hotel and though sod it but I made the effort.

PS. Was I happy Mansell wasn't playing? Yes
Was I gutted to see Stevens playing after arriving 2 minutes into the game? Yes
think again!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Andy is correct, I do drive round trip of 400 miles to Plainmoor. If we win the drive home seems to go quicker so you can guess my journeys home this season!
Have to say on Tuesday, despite a draw, I felt at ease. Relegation looks odds on but the performance, if repeated, could just give us a glimmer of hope.
Hartlepool on Saturday is just too far and rather than watch Jeff Stelling (Hartlepool fan) on Gillette Soccer Saturday I'm going to catch up with Conference football (to see what's in store) with a local club Aldershot who take on Lincoln City.