Hartlepool United v Torquay United - 1/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Harding has won the Conference before with Aldershot ^.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I'm thinking of starting another positive thread....... Who's with me!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote:I'm thinking of starting another positive thread....... Who's with me!
dont talk wet.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote: You make it look like Juan was some sort of managerial genius ;-)
compared to hargreaves, it looks like he is.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

kevgull wrote:I'm thinking of starting another positive thread....... Who's with me!
I had to watch the YouTube videos on the jokes thread to make me smile. Have to do that quite often running this site.
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

You lead and they will follow ! :}
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

diamondgirl wrote: That makes no difference. Cobblers are also in the drop zone. Even if we swap places with them we are still going down.
I know..but we're not cast adrift yet. Still mathematically all to play for :-/ :(
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: compared to hargreaves, it looks like he is.
Knill was, supposedly, an accomplished manager - he just about got us over the line last season and then, for reasons that escape me even now, made us worse than the season before.
People that say he was looking at turning it around forget that he was given several life lines (going to be sacked then won a game, lost a load, threatened with the sack and win the game....) and when he was sacked we had drawn with Bristol Rovers and allowed both Exeter and Plymouth to roger us senseless whilst putting up all the fight of a two year old.

He wasn't ever going to turn it around (ok, I can't prove it, but the table spoke for itself) - the fact that Hargreaves won't either is not really his fault - he was left with a team at near on rock bottom and it is his first ever job - football management isn't going to ever win you lots of friends if you can't get the team winning, but it's made even harder when a manager with "vast" experience has left you with a sack of shite to work with.

I'm not judging Hargreaves until next season, when he's had the chance to put his proper mark on the team. Then, and only then, can he really be judged.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Knill was, supposedly, an accomplished manager - he just about got us over the line last season and then, for reasons that escape me even now, made us worse than the season before.
People that say he was looking at turning it around forget that he was given several life lines (going to be sacked then won a game, lost a load, threatened with the sack and win the game....) and when he was sacked we had drawn with Bristol Rovers and allowed both Exeter and Plymouth to roger us senseless whilst putting up all the fight of a two year old.

He wasn't ever going to turn it around (ok, I can't prove it, but the table spoke for itself) - the fact that Hargreaves won't either is not really his fault - he was left with a team at near on rock bottom and it is his first ever job - football management isn't going to ever win you lots of friends if you can't get the team winning, but it's made even harder when a manager with "vast" experience has left you with a sack of shite to work with.

I'm not judging Hargreaves until next season, when he's had the chance to put his proper mark on the team. Then, and only then, can he really be judged.
thats fine if you think that scotty.
but hargreaves wasnt the right choice to give us a chance of staying in the league.

TUST Member 468

PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Scott Brehaut wrote:
Knill was, supposedly, an accomplished manager - he just about got us over the line last season and then, for reasons that escape me even now, made us worse than the season before.

Spot on there Scott!

Let's be honest he's inherited a team that wasn't good enough to compete

Can we still stay up?

Heart is always thinking maybe if we go on a run, head says no

Can't give up though, this is football
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: Spot on there Scott!

Let's be honest he's inherited a team that wasn't good enough to compete Can we still stay up?

Heart is always thinking maybe if we go on a run, head says no

Can't give up though, this is football
look, he knew which players were here when he took the job.

you have also appeared to overlook the fact that he has also brought in some shocking players in on loan - some of which never even played!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: thats fine if you think that scotty.
but hargreaves wasnt the right choice to give us a chance of staying in the league.
Maybe not, but he threw his hat in the ring and the board took a punt.

If he had turned it round he would have been hailed a hero - he probably thought he could too, before realising very quickly that what he had inherited wasn't as good as first thought.

Look we all think we have the makings of a good team and maybe we do, but the table doesn't lie - we clearly don't have that good a team as we're currently 7 points adrift at the foot of the table.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I never expected to get anything today after the last 5-6 performances.

However CH's team selections and tactics during this period has been found wanting. I really think anyone of us could have done a better job. That is a major concern.
He needs to install belief, confidence and a desire to win. We need to get another 10-20 percent out of each player. Jordan Chappell is an example of a player who has the ability to tear teams apart. Get him playing, do what ever to get his belief back.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Maybe not, but he threw his hat in the ring and the board took a punt.

If he had turned it round he would have been hailed a hero - he probably thought he could too, before realising very quickly that what he had inherited wasn't as good as first thought.

Look we all think we have the makings of a good team and maybe we do, but the table doesn't lie - we clearly don't have that good a team as we're currently 7 points adrift at the foot of the table.
I dont think we have anywhere near the basis of a good team, not even in the conference. Can't fathom what evidence there is to base this on. I agree the table doesn't lie, we are the worst team in the entire football league, we are bottom of league 2. By the end of the season it is possible we could not be, but very very unlikely. Other than a very few occasions we have been dire all season.

I will still goto the same amount of games next season but it requires a clear out which I'm hoping happens.
TUST MEMBER
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Have to say I now think Hargreaves is not up to it. Sounded terrible on the radio - we simply could not take the chances that we made. What is Stevens doing back at the club? All he seemed to do today was give the ball away!! We cannnot defend, nor can we score - we are truely S*ite!! Hargreaves seems to be able to do nothing to change the situation. Another great decision by the board.......