Hartlepool United v Torquay United - 1/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Showunmi as a midfielder? I know he had a spell in that position earlier in his career but he hasn't played there for a long time. We've been crying out for an experienced target man and now we have one so I think it's best he played up front. He linked up well with Benyon on Saturday, especially considering they probably haven't even trained together yet. I'll stick my neck out and say there will be a few goals in that partnership if they are given a run in the team together.

Stockley disappointed me when he came on (admittedly we were 3-0 down) but he just didn't put himself about enough and showed his petulant side towards Nicholson at the end which I didn't like.
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by aldershotgull »

Tommyg - agree regarding benyon and showunmi. Consistency in selection could help performances. What did jayden do? Must have missed it?
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

We had a free-kick in injury time about 30 yards out. Stockley wanted to shoot but Nicholson pulled rank and whipped the ball to the back post where Downes headed across goal and Pearce flicked wide. The flag was raised for offside, though. As the players were retreating to their positions, Stockley sarcastically applauded and stuck his thumb up in Nicholson's direction.

This is the drawback with young short-term loanees. Unless they feel there is a chance of a permanent move, all they care about is their own performance which you can understand but it doesn't help in our current position. I'd much rather have Yeoman here.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: So you choose 5 games - which, in any case, hardly illustrate any support for your argument that Knill is any use - to overlook the entire appalling record he had at this club. Would you judge a film by the last 5 minutes of it you happened to watch? No, you would judge it on its entirety. You keep throwing up this 'ancient proverb' but that is the irony...you see what you want to see, based on a tiny fraction of Knill's entire, sorry record here.

I have asked you once, so I will ask you again - please explain how a win percentage of less than 19% is any good? Please explain which of Knill's signings worked out? Just explain, what he actually did for TUFC that makes his departure (from your point of view) regrettable?

It is interesting that you offer his role as an assistant manager, as evidence of his success. Is none of it down to Chris Wilder? You know, that manager who had success at Halifax and Oxford before he took on Northampton. Afterall, as manager, it would be him making the decisions, not Alan Knill. You only have to look at Rotherham, scunthorpe and Torquay to see what happens when it is Alan Knill making the decisions.

It appears that you have backed yourself into a corner in your, frankly, bizarre defence of our worst manager of recent times, that you have to make up 'facts' to prove it.
I would never be backed into a corner by you as we would never be in the same ring (metaphor for wavelength - best to spell it out).

It is so clear that you do not actually read anything I post. I have not defended Mr Knill's record at Plainmoor (although as you have brought it up the only time he was involved in an end of season relegation battle with us we were not relegated).

What I have done is pointed out the insanity of sacking an experienced manager (who had achieved 7 points from his previous 5 games, and then was immediately head hunted by our promotion rivals), to appoint a rookie (I am sure that Mr Hargreaves has all the attributes to be a good manager, I just think wrong place wrong time).

I am bored with this now as every time I state a FACT you counter with your OPINION. You may have struck lucky and been right once, but it certainly doesn't happen too often.

Anyway post whatever you want in your petulant reply. I shall not be returning to this thread as it is an old matchday thread for a game we lost, so you can have the last word (albeit if the last word is for me - remember I won't see it!) ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

aldershotgull wrote: :goodpost:
Thanks Aldershot. Just a pity about the nonsense in the reply! ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

stefano wrote:I would never be backed into a corner by you as we would never be in the same ring (metaphor for wavelength - best to spell it out).
Nobody puts Stefano in the corner

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

tommyg wrote:We had a free-kick in injury time about 30 yards out. Stockley wanted to shoot but Nicholson pulled rank and whipped the ball to the back post where Downes headed across goal and Pearce flicked wide. The flag was raised for offside, though. As the players were retreating to their positions, Stockley sarcastically applauded and stuck his thumb up in Nicholson's direction.

This is the drawback with young short-term loanees. Unless they feel there is a chance of a permanent move, all they care about is their own performance which you can understand but it doesn't help in our current position. I'd much rather have Yeoman here.
How easy is it (from distance) to ascertain 'sarcastic' applause? Sounds like with the thumbs up afterwards, he was showing appreciation of a decent effort from KN?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

aldershotgull wrote:Oh i read and understood i just decided that someone such as yourself should not be allowed to get away with your bullying. You are a criminal lawyer. You should know better. Oh and by the way, i'm 30 not 3 and so you don't get to "tell me off" ok? If you dont like what I put the deal with it. I stand by it, i will not retract it and nothing you say will change that. I suggest you go your way, i will go mine and thats the end of it.
So you make wild assumptions based on almost nothing, you get corrected by someone who knows, then you stick by your stupid decision anyway? It's odd, Darwin was definitely right, you must just be the exception which proves the rule.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by aldershotgull »

Yawn. Move on Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

An excellent argument.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

tommyg wrote:We had a free-kick in injury time about 30 yards out. Stockley wanted to shoot but Nicholson pulled rank and whipped the ball to the back post where Downes headed across goal and Pearce flicked wide. The flag was raised for offside, though. As the players were retreating to their positions, Stockley sarcastically applauded and stuck his thumb up in Nicholson's direction.

In Stockley's defence, I think he would have been right to have been a bit pissed off that he never started. He came on on Tuesday and did well and then a guy who just arrived at the club the day before gets selected in front of him. Hardly going to boost the lads confidence.
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by aldershotgull »

A Realist wrote:In Stockley's defence, I think he would have been right to have been a bit pissed off that he never started. He came on on Tuesday and did well and then a guy who just arrived at the club the day before gets selected in front of him. Hardly going to boost the lads confidence.
problem is we need goals and whilst I agree i only remember 1 Stockley goal since CH took charge and that was in the first game (correct me if i am wrong). Putting the new guy who may grab us a goal ahead of someone barely scoring is fair IMO.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Showunmi or Stockley? No decision to be made imo.

A snail driving a fiat uno or Stockley? Again, no decision to be made imo.

I'm being a bit unfair to the lad and he can get the odd goal I know but he is the slowest thing on 2 legs other than myself. Not what we need at all. I've seen him about 4 times now and although that isn't enough times to make a proper judgement and the fact that he is in a struggling team I take into account but I have to say what I have seen I have been extremely disappointed. If he is desperate to impress then he's either not desperate enough or he is not very good. It's obvious Chris sees something in him though so fingers crossed.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

aldershotgull wrote: problem is we need goals and whilst I agree i only remember 1 Stockley goal since CH took charge and that was in the first game (correct me if i am wrong). Putting the new guy who may grab us a goal ahead of someone barely scoring is fair IMO.
You're right, Stockley only has one goal. Showumni on the other hand though has an abysmal career scoring record. I know his games not all about goals but I wouldn't be expecting too many from him.
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by aldershotgull »

Agreed that Showunmi has a poor record but saw his first touch and hold up play and he should be able to get others to go past him etc. At least that's what i hope for.