Hartlepool United v Torquay United - 1/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I am inclined to agree about Showunmi too but over Stockley anyday. None of our strikers or indeed wingers or midfielders can score. Marquis looked the most capable but he's gone. I liked McCallum in the end too. We have really needed Chappell and Bodin to get more, a lot more although I know Bodin has been out with injury. It all puts extra pressure on strikers and with confidence shot those rare chances have to be put away which is not happening at the minute either. What has happened to Goodwin too? He was immense at Chesterfield but in all the other games I've seen him he looks lost. I don't actually think we know deep down what that mistake from Poke at Chesterfield has done psychologically to this team. We played bloody well and executed the perfect game plan and I was quite confident we would have won there. You could see a bit of confidence in the players, we were doubling up on them and finding that extra yard all over the park. That Poke mistake was a hammer blow and although I don't like bemoaning bad luck it certainly had more of an effect than I think we realise. Well we haven't really played well and lost 3 out of 4 since. I think if we can just get another win then who knows. It's just getting it and then kicking on.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:I am inclined to agree about Showunmi too but over Stockley anyday. None of our strikers or indeed wingers or midfielders can score. Marquis looked the most capable but he's gone. I liked McCallum in the end too. We have really needed Chappell and Bodin to get more, a lot more although I know Bodin has been out with injury. It all puts extra pressure on strikers and with confidence shot those rare chances have to be put away which is not happening at the minute either. What has happened to Goodwin too? He was immense at Chesterfield but in all the other games I've seen him he looks lost. I don't actually think we know deep down what that mistake from Poke at Chesterfield has done psychologically to this team. We played bloody well and executed the perfect game plan and I was quite confident we would have won there. You could see a bit of confidence in the players, we were doubling up on them and finding that extra yard all over the park. That Poke mistake was a hammer blow and although I don't like bemoaning bad luck it certainly had more of an effect than I think we realise. Well we haven't really played well and lost 3 out of 4 since. I think if we can just get another win then who knows. It's just getting it and then kicking on.
Marquis isn't even getting a start at Northampton, or at least didn't at the weekend. I have a feeling though that they threw a lot more money at him that Torquay did or could have to get him there. He would have been the one that I would have taken back if it were possible.

Goodwin I kinda feel sorry for in one way and really frustrated with him in another. It seems to be the norm that he is getting switched sides all the time, even during the game. On Saturday, he started left, went right and then through the centre. Imo it doesn't help the lad try and get any consistency. From what I've seen he is terrible on the left and I dont think he feels confident there. Thats not to say he is great on the right but to me its obvious he is happier on that side.
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by aldershotgull »

I think it is a simple thing to play players in their best positions. Plenty of or managers fail to do this though! Goodwin on the right. He looked best there.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Fonda wrote: How easy is it (from distance) to ascertain 'sarcastic' applause? Sounds like with the thumbs up afterwards, he was showing appreciation of a decent effort from KN?
The free-kick was at the away end so had a good view of the incident. I'm not sure if Nicholson even saw Stockley's reaction but he definitely wasn't complimenting the free-kick! Reminded me of Ashley Barnes's attitude when he was on loan. I'm sure I recall him shoving Benyon during an away match at Darlington.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

This was my first live game since November, and I left the ground feeling totally deflated. We played reasonably well until we went 1-0 down, but after that there was absolutely nothing. In the second half we had no cutting edge, no drive and the game petered out to a simple win for Hartlepool. In a relegation fight you would expect as a minimum for these to be there. We have a side which looks reasonable on paper but has lost games throughout the season and shows no sign of turning things around. We are now in the last chance saloon before we get cut even further adrift. Based on Saturday, the gap is already too big, but if it gets any bigger then it will be too much, even if we do find some form.

It's hard to take any positives out of the game it was so lacklustre. It also showcased the drawbacks of re-signing Danny Stevens, who was the worst player on the pitch by a distance. Any 50-50 he is just brushed off it, any aerial battle he has no chance, so the only times he could contribute was when the ball was passed directly to him. O'Connor was one of our better performers and gave him enough of the ball, far more than Goodwin got on his side, but he did nothing with it. If you wanted to be generous, you could say he is not match fit, but on Saturday he kept Chappell out of the team (and Cameron had a few good flashes when he came on). I didn't understand the logic of re-signing him and Saturday was a disaster all round.

I'll be at the next two home games, and I think 4 point is the minimum required from 2 very hard games. Our fate could be all but sealed within the next 8 days.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I watched the 'highlights' on the local BBC Sports programme last night. The first goal came about through dreadful defending (by no means for the first time this season) and the second, from a corner ...... why, oh why, was there nobody on the post ?? More awful defending. The third .... 'Pools has-been striker had all the time in the world to slot the ball through Poke's legs ..... not another United player in sight. No wonder we're bottom. Very, very depressing stuff.