Torquay United v Fleetwood Town - 8/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

chippygull wrote:Image

Oh for another set of results like these...
No - not quite, Chippy. We want Fleetwood to LOSE away tomorrow !!! :scarf:
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Of course, sorry.. just getting carried away with our four goals and Oxford losing.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote: This, this exact thing. Anyone who doesn't think this is our best option is insane.

Matt.
It's all about opinions I seem to remember a lot of supporters calling Harding crap a couple of months ago. ' None of the players are crap'. Also all the chat that all the teams are rubbish is nonsense. There is little to choose between any of the sides but all the teams seem to have a player who can nick a goal, thats what I worry about in our side as we don't have this. Yes go on reply Matt but I'm not insane I just see the game differently to you.

Remember this Matt, what happened Saturday!
Last edited by arcadia on 09 Mar 2014, 18:21, edited 4 times in total.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I completely disagree with the post above. somehow we have been worse than pretty much every single team this season. I haven't actually seen one good team yet! if our players were anything but crap, we wouldn't be this far adrift at the bottom of league football!
The gulls are going up
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote: You mean like we did against Accrington you mean? :Oops:

As we have only come from behind to win once all season I suggest we DO go at them early and try and get something to hang on to. Otherwise it will be plenty of possession, a few missed chances perhaps then we fizzle out quickly and they assert and score leaving us zero room for manoeuvre. If we don't get the tempo and application from kick off we're screwed. In my humble opinion. Now is the time to take games to the opposition and not to see if we can hang in there and nick one. It breeds confidence if we play like we mean business even we lose, playing like we are totally desperate for a result just makes players anxious and compounds things against us. The mindset has to change to BELIEVING we can get results and that isn't going to happen by playing the way that has seen us lose most of our matches.

In my opinion. =D
The word BELIEVE is a great mindset if you could get all the players BELIEVING they can win, you've got a great chance of achieving a win. :goodpost: READ my post on the blame game belief.
Last edited by arcadia on 07 Mar 2014, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

I thought Torquay would struggle this season and posted that thought back in sept/Oct desperately hoping to be wrong but with every game we played we seemed more and more a certainty to being a conference side next season,I will be gutted and I strongly Urge all Torquay united supporters to get along to plainmoor tomorrow as i firmly believe that if we do not win this game then it is without boubt the conference is where we will be next season.Every single person who has a little bit of Torquay in their harts must get behind the team no matter how much they have disappointed us,how much they have angered us,how much they have shown how crap they have been but
,they are our team,this is amongst the most important games in our history and to let the past history of this season cloud our passion for our team would be a disgrace. Come on Torquay ,show you care.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

gullno4 wrote:I completely disagree with the post above. somehow we have been worse than pretty much every single team this season. I haven't actually seen one good team yet! if our players were anything but crap, we wouldn't be this far adrift at the bottom of league football!
We have had good spells in all the games where we have had chances but we don't take them. There has been a few games where we've been shocking.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What you remember is people calling Harding crap two games into the season. That's because two games in to the season, he was crap. 6 games in, he started getting better and by 10 games, he was doing extremely well indeed. Manse has been mostly not good enough for the best part of two years. If you don't agree then you are wrong, I'm afraid. That's not opinion, that's something we can't measure, but that is so well accepted and well known as to be classed as common knowledge.
The same goes for the division. If it's 24 teams doing nothing but aimlessly hacking the ball around and having just one player who can 'nick a goal', then the division is crap. For all its faults, the Premier League is full of exceptionally talented sides. Not one of them turns up and does as I have described, so which is the shit division, L2 or the Premiership?

I stand with a girl at Plainmoor who has been interested in football for about 6 months and the things she knows about the game already seem to evade your notice. In fact, you seem to know so little about the game that I'm tempted to suggest you apply for a senior position at the FA... You'll fit right in.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

gullno4 wrote:I completely disagree with the post above. somehow we have been worse than pretty much every single team this season. I haven't actually seen one good team yet! if our players were anything but crap, we wouldn't be this far adrift at the bottom of league football!
Agree with the first half. I think if you transplanted the team of two years ago into this division, we might well be top having not yet lost a game. Can you imagine what that side would have done to Accrington and Northampton and the like? Jesus, they'd even have turned over Chesterfield without too much trouble.
They'd have beaten the bottom 17 clubs (everyone outside the playoffs) without conceding a goal.

Matt.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:What you remember is people calling Harding crap two games into the season. That's because two games in to the season, he was crap. 6 games in, he started getting better and by 10 games, he was doing extremely well indeed. Manse has been mostly not good enough for the best part of two years. If you don't agree then you are wrong, I'm afraid. That's not opinion, that's something we can't measure, but that is so well accepted and well known as to be classed as common knowledge.
The same goes for the division. If it's 24 teams doing nothing but aimlessly hacking the ball around and having just one player who can 'nick a goal', then the division is crap. For all its faults, the Premier League is full of exceptionally talented sides. Not one of them turns up and does as I have described, so which is the sh*t division, L2 or the Premiership?

I stand with a girl at Plainmoor who has been interested in football for about 6 months and the things she knows about the game already seem to evade your notice. In fact, you seem to know so little about the game that I'm tempted to suggest you apply for a senior position at the FA... You'll fit right in.

Matt.
You can only count to two and learning the game. You should know you can't compare the Premiership with division2. In football at the standard Torquay are playing we need a mix that can battle and play and it's up to the manager to find this mix. I have not said Harding should not play as I would play him Mansell,Ladabie and Lathrop because they are a more physical mix. I would also get Craig back and tell him he'll get a chance because he's good enough so that he'll start believing in himself. You may think I'm insane but I've just got an opinion which you don't agree with.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Well I think Arcadia is spot on. The difference between us and most of the teams we have played is that we don't have anyone who can put away the chances. Most of the games we have lost have been by the odd goal. Who is our top scorer? Is it Downes with about FOUR goals ? That is pathetic and tells its own story.

I wasn't too unhappy to see Rene Howe leave cos he was free-wheeling at the end of last season, but we haven't half missed him. Similarly, Ryan Jarvis - not my favourite player in his first season with the Gulls but he was one of the few who came out with any credit last season. They haven't been replaced and thereby lies why we're in the mire. Even the lucky girl who stands with Matt will be able to spot that ...... :)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

arcadia wrote: We have had good spells in all the games where we have had chances but we don't take them. There has been a few games where we've been shocking.
Fleetwood away was 1 of them. :B
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Just because you can't compare the two, doesn't mean that L2 can't be aspirational towards the Prem. That's the point I'm very obviously making. Quality is quality, quality is absolute. Anything such doesn't resemble something which is quality or has quality is not quality, regardless of its surroundings or competition.

Talentless punting of a ball around a field and "nicking a goal" isn't quality simply because it's better than something else in its division.

Matt.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Would love a win but if we lose let's do it fighting tooth and nail!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Just because you can't compare the two, doesn't mean that L2 can't be aspirational towards the Prem. That's the point I'm very obviously making. Quality is quality, quality is absolute. Anything such doesn't resemble something which is quality or has quality is not quality, regardless of its surroundings or competition.

Talentless punting of a ball around a field and "nicking a goal" isn't quality simply because it's better than something else in its division.

Matt.
Enjoy your free ticket today Matt.