Torquay United v Rochdale 11/03/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

CapeTownGull wrote:Let's hope CH sticks to his word now and now keeps the same 11 who have succeeded (with perhaps the allowance for the injured O'Connor coming back) and not reintroduce Mansell or Stevens! Or if he feels he needs to strengthen the midfield for an away game bring back Harding.
Providing Ladabie is ok I'm sure he'll keep the same side but you have to trust him to pick the team as he might know something we don't. Remember I expext he picked last nights team from what he's seeing in training.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Our Oscar Pistorius sound-alike brehren is correct. Tongue didn't disgrace himself at all last night, but O'Connor is the better player in every department and will give us more going forward.
Judging by Twitter, Manse was dropped on form not injury. Since last night was our best performance of the season (I'm not suggesting causation, merely correlation), I can't see Manse forcing anyone out from last night on the grounds of either talent or form. The only way he can get in is if Ladders is banned (which is desperately unlikely) or if Jesus somehow feels that some quality Lee possesses is worth his selection ahead of two technically superior options.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Our Oscar Pistorius sound-alike brehren is correct. Tongue didn't disgrace himself at all last night, but O'Connor is the better player in every department and will give us more going forward.
Judging by Twitter, Manse was dropped on form not injury. Since last night was our best performance of the season (I'm not suggesting causation, merely correlation), I can't see Manse forcing anyone out from last night on the grounds of either talent or form. The only way he can get in is if Ladders is banned (which is desperately unlikely) or if Jesus somehow feels that some quality Lee possesses is worth his selection ahead of two technically superior options.

Matt.
Sky sports have just said Ladabie has got a ten game ban and £2000 fine but have not said when it begins. So unless Torquay appeal then Chris will have to make a change which could mean bring in either Harding or Mansell. The other option would be to play both and keep one of the wingers as an impact player as Ladabie is a different kind of player to both of them.
What you said about O'Conner is right he is a better player but he is prone to the odd mistake by being caught in posession, Tonge did ok and it may boost spirit if players see if you get in the side play well you keep your place. It's one for Chris to think about. :-/
Chris is going to need all the squad focassed for all the games and be ready when needed and one of the youngsters who's on loan needs to grow a pair and accept substitutions when they are made. He may have returned to his club now.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Nope, have a read of my post in the JL thread. He'll be available for Saturday.

Presume you mean Wilkinson in your last sentence, in which case I fear my latest time travel experiment may have worked, since he went home 10 days ago.

Matt.
cjhdale
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by cjhdale »

Hi folks have read this thread, was at the game and thought you guys were slightly the better team. I was very impressed with Showunmi who gave our defenders a torrid time and i was very relieved to see him subbed. Didnt think we played well at all but having a 5 hour trip home to stew on it, felt that i have seen worst teams than Torquay felt the second yellow was very harsh on Lancashire but we have now a reputation amongst the referees. Anyway best of luck for the rest of the season and hope you guys can stop up.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

The second yellow was pretty clear. Lancs pulls Benners down and, when you're already on a yellow, that's a dumb thing to do. You got away with plenty in the match (including what I'm assured is a stonewall penalty appeal), and on another day you could have ended up with 9 men. If you really were being targeted by referees, the handball early on would have been a red (I think the ref got that one right, but only just).

You can't have any excuses for the result, as you say, Torquay were the better side and ran out deserved winners. But for a post and some dithering and another potentially unfair goalline block, it could have been game over after 35 minutes. That said, Dale were one of the two or three best sides I've seen this year (last night) and I certainly think (and hope, I quite like Rochdale as a club, without good reason) that you'll go up automatically with Chesterfield and Scunny. In a sea[son] of utter tripe, you were a rare treat. Best of luck with the rest of the campaign.

Matt.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

The second yellow was harsh - it was six to one, half a dozen of the other. Benyon was actually apologising to Lancashire and started pleading with the referee that he got it wrong before Pearce wisely marched forward and ushered Benyon away. However, it was Lancashire who hauled down Benyon in the first half and he was lucky not to be sent off then so he can't complain too much.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Glostergull wrote:Just to let you all know as Matt seems embarrased to tell us. But that Girl who stands beside him happens to the present love of his life. Girlfriend or partner. Whatever. She is a really nice girl. Can't think why she wants to come with MATT to Plainmoor but that's commitment. what a way to refer to your girlfriend. dear dear Matt.
I am reliably informed, his bruised testicle will calm down soon. :lol:
Now then, Matt - "the above post is inaccurate in every way" (your words). Sooooo ....... this girl who stands with you at Plainmoor is NOT a really nice girl, then. I just hope she doesn't read the Forum postings, otherwise you'll be in deep, deep sh*t and you'll have more than a bruised testicle ! Have a nice day, whilst it lasts, and I hope you will have recovered in time to limp to Whaddon Road on Saturday ......... ;-) ;-)