Torquay United V Bury 18/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: Hargreaves has managed as many home wins in a week, as Knill did in 5 months.
It's Mr Knill to you Hector ... and I think you will find that that is a classic case of cherry picking games to suit your own argument ;-) :rofl:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Another happy, long journey home after a second consecutive home win, that doesn't happen very often! Can we make it a hat-trick of home wins on Saturday or is that tempting fate?
As at Cheltenham on Saturday we had superior possession but lack the final shot. Great move, cross from Tonge for Mansell's header. But why don't we shoot more often? Especially against the man in purple who had a nightmare first half - that's the Bury keeper not the ref! The ref,by the way, seemed to book players every time he didn't like a tackle but only if wearing yellow.
It was odds on Bury were going to score and Platt been around long enough to know where the net is. But after that we gave it a go with Goodwin seeing plenty of the ball and taking on his marker. On this showing he's the kind of permanent signing we need for next season.
After recent 'performances' don't rate Stockley but he was heavily involved in setting up Yeoman for a life saving - season saving? - winner in time added on.
Three precious points, first (only?) double of the season and all to play for in the remaining nine matches.
Newport on Saturday is another Cup Final.
Cue 'The Great Escape' music!
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

nickbrod wrote: first (only?) double of the season
Still got Southend & Dagenham to come, so possibly more...
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

First time I have seen Showunmi, last night. Can't help thinking how little he contributed - seemed slow, reluctant to challenge and missed 80+% in the air, clumsy footwork and poor passing, one shot in the vague direction of the goal. Though he did help out well in defence. Polite applause when he was subbed, then I saw him heading to the dressing room shaking his head. I can't see him scoring if he stays till next Christmas. Is it me?

Stockley showed more willingness and urgency when he came on, and contributed to / made the winner for Yeoman.

The key to the match was playing deep, controlling the midfield and stopping the ball reaching their forwards. The threat from Nardiello was nil and minimal from Platt (OK with the obvious exception!)

COYY. Onwards and upwards.
TUST member 200 ;-)
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Persuaded my dad to take me down for this game, and saw my first win of the season (and first since Barnet last season). Thought we had a very shaky opening few minutes, then settled down into the game and dominated for the rest of the half, including a surprise goal for Manse. Definitely thought that we deserved and definitely should have had a few more, but we didn't exactly challenge their woeful keeper. He couldn't catch a ball, couldn't kick it when it was played back to him and was beginning to lose his cool and yet when we had the opportunity to have a shot it would either go far over or not actually shoot and try and play it wide. Cameron got injured and that changed the game for the beginning of the second half, and although Danny did run at them, which I did like, he was shite at it. Lost the ball every time he tried to go forwards, had a couple of chances to get shots away but played them back into the middle where we then lost it, or played it back to Nico who'd lump a ball in. The free-kick that led to their goal was a ridiculous decision, but one that the players could have defended from better than they did. Left Platt with space and to be fair it was a decent finish. Ricey came to our rescue towards the end of the game saving the one on one which could have put the nail in the coffin for our survival prospects, but didn't. Yeoman finished his chance well, although it did take me until after the game to find out who'd actually scored, but it was a decent finish for a scrappy chance.

Rice - Made a decent save in the first half with his feet, probably should have held it. Did all the basics right, saved a vital chance and couldn't really do a lot about their goal.

Tonge - Thought he played really well at RB, attacking and defensively, didn't get beaten too many times and won plenty of headers. Also provided the cross for Mansell to attack and score.

Downes - His crucial defensive header at the far post when he was backtracking was absolutely superb, stopped their bloke at the far post having an easy header. Made plenty of good interceptions and played very well overall in general.

Pearce - Rock at the back, won everything in the air.

Nicholson - Bury didn't seem to target him as much as some of the other teams that ive seen this season do, so he didn't have a lot of tracking back with his weary old legs. His crossing was interesting last night, just lumping it into the box hoping that Benyon/Stockley/Showunmi/Yeoman would get on the end of it. Good interplay with Cameron in the first half. Fairly good game, lucky that Bury weren't targeting him.

Cameron - Very good, wasn't afraid to run at the full back, final ball wasn't always great but made plenty of the chances for the team. Gave the team plenty of width to play with. Rightly came off at half time as he didn't seem right in the last 5 minutes of the half after he'd started feeling his hamstring.

Mansell - Good. He played well, won tackles in midfield, helped the transition from defence to attack. Took his header well.

Lathrope - Decent. Good interplay with wingers and breaking up of attacks, helped defensively, not great at going forwards but still was able to give wingers the chance to create chances.

Goodwin - Only really came fully into the game in the last 10 minutes. Beat his man for pace every time and on a different night, strikers might have been on the end of that ball that he sent across. Crossing was decent but needs to beat first man more often.

Showunmi - Looks like an inspirational figure on the pitch, always talking to the others and especially the younger players. Good closing down in the first half, forcing them back to their keeper, which they didn't want to do. Used his height well, felt he should've won more headers than he did.

Benyon - Really good work rate, however I'm not convinced whether he had a shot while he was on. Needs to get into the positions in the box like he used to as well as closing down teams. Definitely prefer him starting to any of the others.

Stevens - Same as Cameron, he was willing to run at players from the moment he stepped on the pitch. However, he kept getting tackled or choosing the wrong option. Had a few chances to shoot but instead played back to Manse/Lathrope who'd then either play it out to the other side or play it back to nico who'd lump a ball in.

Stockley - Big figure, thought he won a few headers while he was on, as provided the presence that I think Yeoman needs to have next to him to work effectively.

Yeoman - Good finish, not convinced he should be starting the games ahead of Showunmi and Benyon yet, give him more time off of the bench to grab goals in future though. Needs to be kept beyond this season with his record of scoring goals when he's given a chance, which will help no matter which league we're in.

Nice to win for a change, could see us getting 3 points at the weekend, but with the next 3 fixtures after Newport being York (A), Southend (A) and Scunthorpe at home, we're still in serious danger. Need at least 13 points from remaining fixtures, and this season I can see it being more so we're looking more at 5 wins from our remaining games. Is it possible? Maybe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its a fair point about being exhausted but in all fairness Newport will probably be more exhausted than us. Its a massive plus for us that they are playing tonight.
I cannot for the life of me understand what Hargreaves is doing though. I don't understand what the obsession with Stevens is at all.
How on earth can Chapple not make the bench - he is in and out but he is ten times better than Stevens.
Or he could have put Craig on the bench and played him wide. Or even put O'Connor on the flank.
I think it was the keeper's first game.
God knows what was happening. For those of you who were fortunate enough to attend last night you missed Guy Branstons commentary which was akin to having tyour ears blastred by a gibbering idiot for ninety minute.
Apparently the Bury keeper went from being useless to having a big future in the game by the end of the match.
We have now beaten probably the best team in the league and a totally crap one at home within the last seven days.
We ended the game last night with a western league goalkeeper. A forward line consisting of Stockley,Stevens who should be playing in the western league and a player who has been playing at Bideford and Dorchester this season.
It sort of makes you wonder what Knill was doing all season long - how we have continually failed to beat a sucession of blood awful,crap teams at home all through the winter is beyond me.
My own view is though that we still lack the quality to win a run of games.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

O'Connor is injured. We've tried playing Craig wide and it doesn't work. The way Chaps has been playing, he's no more effective than Stevens. Danny had a good game last night. He still suffers with being a bit one dimensional, but he's equally as likely as anyone to win a free kick or to create a chance.

I know it's bee in bonnet with some, but judged on present form, both Rice and Danny are good enough for this division.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Agree about Rice, he's our Number 1 keeper. Can see Poke leaving in the summer.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

On the way to the match, last night, had radio Devon on. Guy Branston was on talking about the upcoming game and also about his time at Plymouth. He was talking about Sheridan and said "He's a good bloke. I was always taking the P*** out of him". He then realised that he was on the radio and had to apologise for swearing. His command of the English language was truly awful and, quite frankly, it was embarrassing listening to him. He went on to say that he would like a chance at another season in the football league and then would love to move into media work. Lets hope that media work does not include commentating on Torquay matches. Obviously, I did not hear his match commentary, but from what Brucie has said, it was not good.

Sorry Guy, you were great for the one season with TUFC, but I feel that radio work is not going to be your forte. :whistle:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

enjoy

TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Gullscorer wrote:
What, good or bad agreement? :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Its a fair point about being exhausted but in all fairness Newport will probably be more exhausted than us. Its a massive plus for us that they are playing tonight.
I cannot for the life of me understand what Hargreaves is doing though. I don't understand what the obsession with Stevens is at all.
How on earth can Chapple not make the bench - he is in and out but he is ten times better than Stevens.
Or he could have put Craig on the bench and played him wide. Or even put O'Connor on the flank.
I think it was the keeper's first game.
God knows what was happening. For those of you who were fortunate enough to attend last night you missed Guy Branstons commentary which was akin to having tyour ears blastred by a gibbering idiot for ninety minute.
Apparently the Bury keeper went from being useless to having a big future in the game by the end of the match.
We have now beaten probably the best team in the league and a totally crap one at home within the last seven days.
We ended the game last night with a western league goalkeeper. A forward line consisting of Stockley,Stevens who should be playing in the western league and a player who has been playing at Bideford and Dorchester this season.
It sort of makes you wonder what Knill was doing all season long - how we have continually failed to beat a sucession of blood awful,crap teams at home all through the winter is beyond me.
My own view is though that we still lack the quality to win a run of games.
Brucie - I don't disagree with your posting but why describe Martin Rice as a 'Western League goalkeeper'? He has deservedly kept his place in the side after coming in because of Poke's injury and he has done okay.

I fully agree with what you say about Alan Knill. What puzzles me is that he brought Cameron to the club so why couldn't he, or Chris Brass, see his potential in training every week? You put me right on another thread when I suggested that he wasn't quite ready for league football (by stating he played several times in Rotherham's promotion side). We only see the players on a Saturday or Tuesday night - Courtney has been a revelation these last few matches so why has he been kicking his heels for most of the season? Also why couldn't Knill/Brass see Lathrope's contribution to the team or Ashley Yeoman's ability to snap up chances as he did last night ? Some of the Mysteries of Plainmoor !
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The tackle by the Bury bloke on 50s in that video is appalling. A clear stamp right in front of the ref too. Lucky not to have either broken an ankle or been sent off.
Didn't notice Manse refusing to celebrate last night, bit odd but understand why he did it.
Highlights don't really represent the game. It looks as though they were all over us and should have scored long before they did. No sense that we had about 80% possession and all the play.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"