Another Loanee Signs - Ryan Gilligan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We saw the way they spout nonsense prior to that game. So in short, I end up with egg on my face or a dozen of their fans on that message board do. I'm not worried :na:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

This sounds too good to be true and if it was not SG who is saying this then I would be very dismissive of it but because it is SG I cannot avoid getting excited by this.

Please don't turn to disappointment!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Must admit i did make me giggle some what when i read through the thread on there forum,i remember the first game of the seaosn when some of there fans came on here apologising before hand,for there team was coming down to begin there promotion party at plainmoor ,and give us a right royal pasting,and we stuffed them 3.0 in first gear...now that was funny.

Then they are happy that tiny plucky little Torquay fans are tossing ourselfs off at signing Gilligan who is not good enough for there youth team(loyalty springs to mind),well despite a poor run of results for us,we are still above them in the league table with a game in hand(der) cobblers fans keep it real,"your not big or that good"
Formerly known as forevertufc
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Spot on again SG! :~D

Our interest is confirmed in today's Herald :

"Meanwhile, United are still looking to strengthen their squad. Northampton midfielder Ryan Gilligan is thought to be a target."

Hidden in this article here : http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/sport ... ticle.html

Hopefully things have "moved on" since that article was written (probably yesterday morning/afternoon) and we have secured him.

Like others have said it does amuse me some of the comments from Northampton fans (although this sort of thing never surprises me when players move on).

Apparently he is "not good enough" for a team with play off aspirations .... remind me how close they came to achieving that last year - when he was a fixture in their side and even captained it at one stage!!!

They scoff when he is referred to as "an attacking midfield player" .... 11 goals and 8 assists from midfield last season would suggest they don't know what they are talking about.

He is "just average" ... so average that he has been a fixture in their team (which clearly is "bigger" than ours!) for several years and even captained it recently.

In my opinion he would be a decent signing, no more no less, but one who has bags of experience at this level for one so young and a player who hopefully has his best years ahead of him, after all he has only just turned 24.

One comment I did like from their forum is that he "always gives 100%" (much like the Morecambe fans said about Stanley then) in which case he'll do for me!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote:Spot on again SG! :~D

Our interest is confirmed in today's Herald :

"Meanwhile, United are still looking to strengthen their squad. Northampton midfielder Ryan Gilligan is thought to be a target."

Hidden in this article here : http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/sport ... ticle.html

Hopefully things have "moved on" since that article was written (probably yesterday morning/afternoon) and we have secured him.

Like others have said it does amuse me some of the comments from Northampton fans (although this sort of thing never surprises me when players move on).

Apparently he is "not good enough" for a team with play off aspirations .... remind me how close they came to achieving that last year - when he was a fixture in their side and even captained it at one stage!!!

They scoff when he is referred to as "an attacking midfield player" .... 11 goals and 8 assists from midfield last season would suggest they don't know what they are talking about.

He is "just average" ... so average that he has been a fixture in their team (which clearly is "bigger" than ours!) for several years and even captained it recently.

In my opinion he would be a decent signing, no more no less, but one who has bags of experience at this level for one so young and a player who hopefully has his best years ahead of him, after all he has only just turned 24.

One comment I did like from their forum is that he "always gives 100%" (much like the Morecambe fans said about Stanley then) in which case he'll do for me!

Hopefully this and the other loans have permanent clauses in them as would hate to see these guys come in and do really well only for their clubs to take them back.
TUST member 328
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

He's been playing through a foot injury, so would the idea be that he completes the season, his contract expires with NTFC, signs with us then he recieves the necessary treatment?
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

He had a bout of pneumonia at the end of last year as well apparently and the Cobblers have made a lot of signings recently, so it's no real surprise that Gilligan has become a bit of a fringe figure. I'll be more than glad to have him at Plainmoor - it's harking back to the BSP days when we succeeded by signing intelligent players with a track record in that league. Looking forward to seeing at least two of the new boys at Barnet on Saturday, and if there is a third, all the better.

Anyone take you up on the wager Dave?
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

BletchleyGull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Robertson

Post by BletchleyGull »

Also now on our official site
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

BletchleyGull wrote:Also now on our official site

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 96,00.html

Link here to that

SG is right again!

Got anything else you could share Dave?

Any others in the pipeline?
TUST member 328
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

He has extra bone growing in his ankle which needs an operation, and last year he put it off until this summer. Hopefully that hasn't been hindering his performances and hence sent out on loan...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

AndyC wrote:He had a bout of pneumonia at the end of last year as well apparently and the Cobblers have made a lot of signings recently, so it's no real surprise that Gilligan has become a bit of a fringe figure. I'll be more than glad to have him at Plainmoor - it's harking back to the BSP days when we succeeded by signing intelligent players with a track record in that league. Looking forward to seeing at least two of the new boys at Barnet on Saturday, and if there is a third, all the better.

Anyone take you up on the wager Dave?

25 Northampton fans owe me £1,000,000 each, Andy :clap: :clap:

I'm in full agreement with the rest of your post, I'm really happy about the kind of players we're targetting of late, bodes well in my opinion.
Dave

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:

I'm in full agreement with the rest of your post, I'm really happy about the kind of players we're targetting of late, bodes well in my opinion.
Anything else in the pipeline? - I know you cannot be specific but you mentioned 2 further loans coming in after Robinson and Stanley.

Does Gilligan = 1 of 2?
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:

If you go to their fans forum - they are suddenly saying he is crap and injured!!!
http://www.thehotelend.co.uk/
TUST member 328
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I'd be surprised if there aren't more targets in mind but have nothing definite as of yet.

I'd expect someone to move out first to make room in the budget for another signing so it'll be interesting to see if that happens.

Dave, if that's you posting as Gully, you should send them a few quotes from the matchthread of the Northampton game, there must be some pearlers in there :lol:
Dave