Southend United V Torquay United 29/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

If he has locked them in the dressing room I hope he has lost the key.
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Gloomy Gull wrote:Very disappointing that neither CH or Hodges have the decency or the bo**ocks to face the media and comment on another appalling performance .

CH YOU wanted the bloody job....be a man and face up to your shortcomings ....or was there no excuse for the way the team was set up/motivated for this game.
It is easy to say this with hindsight, but when Dave Byrne applied for the manager's job, the board should have said to him: "Budgie, would you be interested in being assistant to the person we would like to appoint as manager, " that if he had an experienced assistant working with him, we might have stood a chance of getting out of this situation.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Bomber wrote: It is easy to say this with hindsight, but when Dave Byrne applied for the manager's job, the board should have said to him: "Budgie, would you be interested in being assistant to the person we would like to appoint as manager, " that if he had an experienced assistant working with him, we might have stood a chance of getting out of this situation.
it was an experienced manager that we needed. :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

KentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence's Afro

Post by KentGull »

Just back in from that shambles (stopped to get a curry and many beers to drown my sorrows)..... what a waste of £21 (+ petrol) to watch messrs Hawley and Bodin produce totally f**k all between them all afternoon...... hold on Stockleys doing ok (at least he challenged for the bloody ball) so lets drag him off and let the lacklustre Hawley carry on doing precisely whatbhe does best.... f**k all!.... cant be arsed to type anything else....we all know how this is going to end...... sorry Mr Hargreaves, but you are clueless...... beer time.... roll on the end ofnthe sesson.....
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

only just got in - its actually disgraceful that Hargreaves cannot come out and face the media. He picked Stockley and Hawley - a combination that would never ever work in a mlilion year.
As a football team we are a complete embarassment.
Unfortunately it has to be said that we now have a manager a manager who is a complete embarassment as well.
A shame because as a player he was a legend but as a manager he hasn't got the first idea.
Season over goodnight
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

For Chris Hargreaves, see Wes Saunders.

When club legends become manager, it doesn't always work out.

Alex Russell must NEVER become manager!!!!!!!
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

The two and a half year contract given to Hargreaves seems just as astute as the 8 year deal Newcastle gave Pardew. To any board members reading this - thank you for running the club into the ground having previously revived it. :)
The original taunton_gull!!!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Didn't go today, but looking at the starting line up, I knew we wouldn't score any goals. Hawley and Stockley up front is like having Stevie Wonder and Stephen Hawking as forwards. We have no hope up top, we haven't had that all season, that is why we don't win football matches. Yet another 1-0 loss, we cant score goals.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Well, here's what the manager had to say:

"I kept them in there for a long while talking about the reality of where we are and we discussed the first half to the second half," said Hargreaves, whose side remain rooted to the foot of the table.

"I want more leaders in my team, we were too deep and there was a big gap in the middle which we couldn't sort out.

"It was a bad free-kick to give away and a bad defensive header which lead to the goal but we need to stand up and be counted now."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -at-defeat
rodneyjackjackjack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by rodneyjackjackjack »

I too went to the game today, but Im sorry to say I wish I hadn't as it was a waste of time. The believe and desire from the players (and fans) was almost non existant today. I was hoping we would throw everything at them today but sadly this was not the case and it almost seemed we had accepted the fact we were to be relegated from the league.

Here are some of my thoughts from the game:

-The middle of our midfield felt almost non existant today and failed to get hold of the ball all game.
-Bodin was pathetic, made poor decisions all game and failed to make an impact.
-Harding was useless in the middle and struggled to get the ball down on deck and string a pass together.
-When Chapell came on he looked a real threat and created a few of the limited chances we made.
- Hawley and Stockley put us under immense pressure by loosing the ball far too easily and unable to bring the wingers into the game.

That is all, I am done.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

njgull wrote:Well, here's what the manager had to say:

"I kept them in there for a long while talking about the reality of where we are and we discussed the first half to the second half," said Hargreaves, whose side remain rooted to the foot of the table.

"I want more leaders in my team, we were too deep and there was a big gap in the middle which we couldn't sort out.

"It was a bad free-kick to give away and a bad defensive header which lead to the goal but we need to stand up and be counted now."

it appears he forgot to add "and the fact that i made a sh*t team selection"
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

lucy6lucy wrote:Another defeat beckons
:slap:
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: :slap:
well lucy, even stevie wonder could have seen it.

and austriananthea or bixie bet on it.

it was that much of a sure thing.

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

njgull wrote:Well, here's what the manager had to say:

So didn't anyone think to tell him, or didn't he check for himself, that Harding and Mansell were paired in central midfield for several games at the start of the season and they were utterly abysmal ?
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

Interesting post-game interview by Phil Brown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiG1kFH ... AH9beGN4Aw.

Basically suggesting that if we regularly played up-tempo like we did after conceeding today rather than try to keep frustrating other teams, we might not be where we are now. Sound familiar?