Southend United V Torquay United 29/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Point made by Phil Brown is a fair one. Had a good day out yesterday and took in local game which I thoroughly enjoyed, had stayed up all day after working n/shift so crawled in to bed and went off to sleep in an attempt to forget I had come home looked at the match details of another TUFC disaster.

Last week we signed a crocked left back with no experience to join the other crocked but more experienced left back we signed called Cooper, beginning to wonder whether Damien Davey has either run short of work or has a new treatment technique he wants to try, as we've now turned to signing players that serve no other purpose but to fill up the treatment room.

Then in the week, we do sign a player limited experience yes, but does have a goal scoring pedigree and I think yes at last, could be the missing link, and I find out he's been on bench for 75 minutes, jeez, from anger to frustration from despair to laughter for me now. Has this season actually been about filming a real life sitcom at Torquay, is someone going to pop out at the end of the Wycombe with an annoying cheeky grin and shout " your on candid camera " Has this season been just a bad joke or nightmare of our own making.
Formerly known as forevertufc
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I've only been to five matches this season so don't feel as qualified as many to comment.
I saw Plymouth home & Dagenham away under Knill, and Wimbledon, Cheltenham & Southend away under Hargreaves.

Overall I don't think there's been much to choose between the managers - the problem is that most of the players simply aren't good enough.
Different selections are tried but on the whole it is just swapping players of an equally mediocre standard.

I do wonder why Chappel doesn't play more as he looks as if he will set up and score goals.
And the lad on loan from Spurs looked to have talent but needs the ball at his feet. He should have been brought on earlier and maybe played out wide so he could run at people from halfway.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I went yesterday and I've decided that I will not be wasting my time, effort and money anymore. I love this club but I've finally had enough.

We weren't bad, all Southend had to do was have a player fall over and the ref would give them a free kick. certainly one of the worst referees I've witnessed at a Torquay game. Rice didn't really have a save to make, but I feared the worse when I heard the strike force for the match.

Why sign this new striker if he isn't going to play? For what's its worth, I thought he looked ok, but he isn't playing with high quality players but lets hope he starts on Saturday And over next week in training, we can fully utilise his potential.

A few of us were sure they handled the ball leading up to the goal, having watched the FLS, my opinion hasn't changed. One of those decisions where it doesn't go for you when you're at the bottom.

They were targeting Cameron who I thought looked like being out only player who might help provide a goal. No idea why he was booked but they were trying to wind him up.

Hawley. Biggest waste of wages I've seen.

Bodin. Most frustrating player ever. For all the money we spent on him, he was useless. Lost the ball far too often.

Make no mistake, we are going down. Whatever was said in the dressing room, I hope to see some fight now. I don't care if it's Scunthorpe next, let's go for it. But please Chris, I never want to see Hawley in a Torquay shirt again. Still can't understand the logic yesterday of starting with him and Stockley.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

You've got to laugh haven't you?! Just soooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I never made the effort to go to Southend. To be honest, not sure if I want to go next season with CH in charge. I still maintain we'd have gone down anyway under Knill but I'm not sure Chris has totally understood the predicament we are in.

Seeing that formation and team selection yesterday made me wet myself and then cry for the sorry fans who had travelled yesterday. We needed a gambler these past few weeks and we instead we have a bloke in charge happy to put the odd pound on a dead cert here and there. The only dead cert was that we as a team needed drastically rearranging. I maintain to this day that by going 3 at the back and 5 in the middle with Bodin up top would have seen us make a better fist of things. CH went safe even though it hasn't worked for months and months and with games running out fast and lo and behold, it didn't work.

CH is not a risk taker and cannot spot the obvious therefore having him as boss next season will see us struggle regardless of personnel. He just simply hasn't got what it takes to make bold decisions. Nothing against him as a man or player but as a fledgling manager with nothing to lose he lost it by not willing to try ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. Not good enough despite his inexperience. Most fans in the stands would have given us a better chance of staying up if they had been in charge. I honestly believe this.

Anyway, they are my thoughts. I'm not angry because this has been coming for ages now and I've seen no changes in all the games I've watched managed by Harrgeaves. It's really sad because apart from the 3-0 at Hartlepool we've generally lost by the odd goal without causing the opposition problems ourselves. With Shaquille on the bench yesterday that was allowed to continue. Ok so I've said that one player won't keep us up but for pity's sake play the guy won't you?! Why bring him in? Utterly incredulous management. Like I said, he isn't desperate enough and my conspiracy theorist head is tilting me the way of thinking that someone behind the scenes actually wants us to go down for some reason. I know, madness but from what I've seen of CH thus far I can't think of anything else to explain just how reluctant he has been to effect games and effect changes.

Oh well, we roll on to another sorry mess on Saturday and then to Brizzle where we'll get turned over 1-0 without having a chance. Then we'll beat Dagenham who like a lot of teams in this league are horse shit before timidly capitulating at Exeter. Then I'm off to Mansfield on the day of my birthday to see us put in the nest performance of the season and with Chris taking some huge risks (when it doesn't matter) before finishing our league stay at home to Wycombe in front of 4 fans. We also lose that 1-0.

TUFC can pretty much do one now I've forgotten they exist until after the World Cup. I'm going to enjoy the World Cup, hope we manage somehow to replace CH over the summer (no offence to Chris like I said, i just can't see how he can take us forward ) and then we can see where we're at and who we bring in.

I urge anyone to not waste anymore time and money going for the rest of this season unless you REALLY want to as from top to bottom everyone at the club is taking us for idiots IMO and maybe if they did the decent thing and changed the season ticket pricing for next season as a mark of goodwill then a tiny bit of faith may be restored.

A huge well done though yesterday to everyone that went to Roots Hall, I'm just sorry that you had to witness the last chance we had of remaining a fl club slip away before your very eyes. We now need to win pretty much all of our games to stay up and with a manager who won't take risks then I predict 1-0 defeats in all of them.

At least we've given it our best shot...................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I admit the team is more solid under Chris and I made up my mind not to slag him off and I'm not going to as this is still Knills mess.
i am dissapointed that we are not addressing the striker problem I felt that although Hawley was selected played well it's going over old ground we've been there all season and got the tea shirt. It's plain to see the team is playing for each other and needs tweaking up front I don't know if a player is in the club to push us on to the next step but to go back to Hawley was a mistake. Jayden yes and I still would like to see Bodin along side him or the new lad. The problem is Chris has only seen the players over the last twelve weeks we've had more experience than him as we've seen the team all season. What I am saying the only pairing up front, has not included Bodin for f-ck sake try something different. Craig should be given a chance now there is nothing to lose.

The supporters are fed up of same old same old, Chris tweak the midfield and up front it seems we need another format to get us over this mess. :keepie:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

We just aren't aggressive enough as a team to give other teams problems. Unless you count biting the opponents that is. There is nowhere near enough aggression, testosterone, energy and professional pride in this side.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:We just aren't aggressive enough as a team to give other teams problems. Unless you count biting the opponents that is. There is nowhere near enough aggression, testosterone, energy and professional pride in this side.
I blame feminism... :( ;-)
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

[quote="arcadia"] The problem is Chris has only seen the players over the last twelve weeks we've had more experience than him as we've seen the team all season.

That paints a false picture.

CH may only have seen the players for 12 weeks and for us it is the 40+ games this season.

Surely CH sees the players training/playing a minimum of 5 times a week and for longer than 90+ minutes at a time. Multiply 5 times per week by 12 weeks = 60 times. Supporters = 40 times (if every game has been attended).

CH has seen much more of the players than we have and still hasn't sussed them out!!!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:We just aren't aggressive enough as a team to give other teams problems. Unless you count biting the opponents that is. There is nowhere near enough aggression, testosterone, energy and professional pride in this side.
A goal can change this as a lot of players are not believing I do not except that aggression is the only thing thats missing. Not enough players are making the box because they are not sure the ball is going in there, no confidense. Our strikers play better outside the box and watch, after making their pass instead of getting it wide and then get in the box as quick as they can. :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Gloomy Gull wrote:
It's a lot different training and seeing a player in a match situation with a moaning crowd watching you.
Every player is different how they treat the situation some can't handle it and would prefere to be on the bench at these times. Some are busting a gut to get a chance. Some players he had not seen in a match situation because we've no reserve side. Thats why Craig and Yeoman went on loan. :keepie:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arcadia wrote: A goal can change this as a lot of players are not believing I do not except that aggression is the only thing thats missing. Not enough players are making the box because they are not sure the ball is going in there, no confidense. Our strikers play better outside the box and watch, after making their pass instead of getting it wide and then get in the box as quick as they can. :keepie:
now that will be something to look forward too.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:You've got to laugh haven't you?! Just soooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I never made the effort to go to Southend. To be honest, not sure if I want to go next season with CH in charge. I still maintain we'd have gone down anyway under Knill but I'm not sure Chris has totally understood the predicament we are in.

Seeing that formation and team selection yesterday made me wet myself and then cry for the sorry fans who had travelled yesterday. We needed a gambler these past few weeks and we instead we have a bloke in charge happy to put the odd pound on a dead cert here and there. The only dead cert was that we as a team needed drastically rearranging. I maintain to this day that by going 3 at the back and 5 in the middle with Bodin up top would have seen us make a better fist of things. CH went safe even though it hasn't worked for months and months and with games running out fast and lo and behold, it didn't work.

CH is not a risk taker and cannot spot the obvious therefore having him as boss next season will see us struggle regardless of personnel. He just simply hasn't got what it takes to make bold decisions. Nothing against him as a man or player but as a fledgling manager with nothing to lose he lost it by not willing to try ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. Not good enough despite his inexperience. Most fans in the stands would have given us a better chance of staying up if they had been in charge. I honestly believe this.

Anyway, they are my thoughts. I'm not angry because this has been coming for ages now and I've seen no changes in all the games I've watched managed by Harrgeaves. It's really sad because apart from the 3-0 at Hartlepool we've generally lost by the odd goal without causing the opposition problems ourselves. With Shaquille on the bench yesterday that was allowed to continue. Ok so I've said that one player won't keep us up but for pity's sake play the guy won't you?! Why bring him in? Utterly incredulous management. Like I said, he isn't desperate enough and my conspiracy theorist head is tilting me the way of thinking that someone behind the scenes actually wants us to go down for some reason. I know, madness but from what I've seen of CH thus far I can't think of anything else to explain just how reluctant he has been to effect games and effect changes.

Oh well, we roll on to another sorry mess on Saturday and then to Brizzle where we'll get turned over 1-0 without having a chance. Then we'll beat Dagenham who like a lot of teams in this league are horse sh*t before timidly capitulating at Exeter. Then I'm off to Mansfield on the day of my birthday to see us put in the nest performance of the season and with Chris taking some huge risks (when it doesn't matter) before finishing our league stay at home to Wycombe in front of 4 fans. We also lose that 1-0.

TUFC can pretty much do one now I've forgotten they exist until after the World Cup. I'm going to enjoy the World Cup, hope we manage somehow to replace CH over the summer (no offence to Chris like I said, i just can't see how he can take us forward ) and then we can see where we're at and who we bring in.

I urge anyone to not waste anymore time and money going for the rest of this season unless you REALLY want to as from top to bottom everyone at the club is taking us for idiots IMO and maybe if they did the decent thing and changed the season ticket pricing for next season as a mark of goodwill then a tiny bit of faith may be restored.

A huge well done though yesterday to everyone that went to Roots Hall, I'm just sorry that you had to witness the last chance we had of remaining a fl club slip away before your very eyes. We now need to win pretty much all of our games to stay up and with a manager who won't take risks then I predict 1-0 defeats in all of them.

At least we've given it our best shot...................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I totally agree with this post and especially the first half of it sums up exactly what I think also. :'(
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Didn't matter who took the job it is impossible to turn these bunch of losers, wasters and embarrassment to their profession into footballers and people that give a toss about the club.

They are the problem,other than literally a few of them and our manager none of them give a fcuk and yet you still want to slag Hargreaves off. Who do you want this time? Who is going to turn hawley into a goalscorer? Who is going to turn bodin into an effective winger rather thsn a prettyboy wa*ker who does a step over then gives it away, who is going to wind the clock back for 5 years to turn manse and nicho back into league 2 capable players who is going to turn harding into a brave midfield player and not one who backs out of a challenge and a header?

The players are the problem and we have to get to the summer and literally get rid of the **** lot apart from about 3.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

royalgull wrote:Didn't matter who took the job it is impossible to turn these bunch of losers, wasters and embarrassment to their profession into footballers and people that give a toss about the club.

They are the problem,other than literally a few of them and our manager none of them give a fcuk and yet you still want to slag Hargreaves off. Who do you want this time? Who is going to turn hawley into a goalscorer? Who is going to turn bodin into an effective winger rather thsn a prettyboy wa*ker who does a step over then gives it away, who is going to wind the clock back for 5 years to turn manse and nicho back into league 2 capable players who is going to turn harding into a brave midfield player and not one who backs out of a challenge and a header?

The players are the problem and we have to get to the summer and literally get rid of the f**king lot apart from about 3.
You make some good points also, the middle bit especially.

I dont want to slag Hargreaves off, I want anybody in charge to do well, I just cant understand his thinking at times. Not much different to Knill in that respect. It does seem at times we could have picked a random fan from the stands at a fraction of cost and got them to select the team and engineer a style of play. Both managers have done things this season that none of us would have seen coming or agreed with and guess what the outcome was.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).