If you were the manager...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

If you were the manager...

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

What would you do with releasing and offering new deals this summer?
I speaking realisticly as were pretty much going to the conference, miracle aside.

Id expect Pearce to move onto another club, maybe we can get a small fee for him. If not give him captaincy.
Release majority of out of contract players except Yeoman and Rice, who can both offer the club something at conference level and would be low earners.
Offer Mansell, Craig and Cruise month to month deal on reduced terms

Put hawley and harding on transfer list for free.

Bring Guy Branston in working with defenders.
Put some faith in youth, give a couple of lads some game time.
Make the club drop gate prices for the first few games of next season.

Give me the managers job
beano
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: ricey

Post by beano »

i'd leg it!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Pearce and Chappell will no doubt go but I'd love for them to stay. I also think Harding could do a job as could Downes and they are contracted. Cameron possibly if given a chance. We're stuck with Benyon and Hawley unless we can move them on and I'd play Benners at a push, Hawley shouldn't wear the shirt again and I'd rather pay him not to play if it's all the same. Ricey will do really well for us, no doubts about that. Bodin is the interesting one, if we give him another contract then play him and rely on him then we forfeit any chance of success there and then and it will be interesting to see where he ends up at and how he does if he leaves. Release Yeoman, release Mansell although I think he could do a job but we just need shut of him and Nico (in a nice way) to avoid any more vitriol for those two legends. Best to make a clean break with those two. Get rid of Cruise, we're stuck with Tonge unless we can ship him out which is the way to go, and Lathrope, Craig and Thompson just release along with Stevens.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 31 Mar 2014, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Start with a blank canvas!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I would keep Thompson. Pace is a big plus for non league.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

I would let all out of contract players go, there isnt any I would like to keep really, except maybe Rice as 2nd choice keeper. And yes that does include the so-called legends.

They have been decent enough players over time for the club but not anything like the best I have seen, mediocre more often than not, and lets not forget they have been paid well for it, they havent done it for free or for love. 3 questions - How many other clubs would have took them or wanted them in the last few years. - Apart from promotion from non - league what have they achieved. - What exactly is it that makes them legends, because I just dont get it.

I would try and get rid of all the contracted players somehow with the exceptions of Pearce and Chappell. Hopefully they have relegation release clauses in their contracts, or they dont want to stay and somebody will take them off our hands.
As the OP said I would put a bit more faith in the youth and the club should drop admission prices for at least the start of the season and see how things go.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

GK: Martin Rice - June 2014 - keep and make first choice?
GK: Michael Poke - June 2014 - if Rice is no.1 then let higher earner poke go, maybe replace with a young lad for the future

DF: Kevin Nicholson - June 2014 - Release, no question
DF: Tom Cruise - June 2014 -
DF: Shaun Cooper - June 2014 - Keep one of these 2 preferably Cooper for 1st choice LB, release the other, maybe a full season loanee as cover
DF: Aaron Downes - June 2015 - Try and keep
DF: Jake Hutchings - June 2015 - Too young, loan out again
DF: Dale Tonge - June 2015 - Probably on decent £, might be forced to keep but i'd rather start afresh
DF: Krystian Pearce - June 2015 - Try and keep
DF: Anthony O'Connor - December 2013 - [on loan from Blackburn Rovers] - probably will be loaned out again, but wouldn't drop to the conference

MF: Lee Mansell - June 2014 - Release, no question
MF: Damon Lathrope - June 2014 - Offer new contract
MF: Nathan Craig - June 2014 - Don't think he's good enough and never has suited any formation, if the £ is right keep otherwise release
MF: Niall Thompson - June 2014 - Offer new contract
MF: Courtney Cameron - June 2015 - Keep
MF: Jordan Chapell - June 2015 - Keep
MF: Ben Harding - June 2015 - Keep
MF: Joss Labadie - June 2014 - Wouldn't want to stay, use the £ else where
MF: Danny Stevens - June 2014 - Release, no question

FW: Ashley Yeoman - June 2014 - Release, no question
FW: Billy Bodin - June 2014 - still young enough we would get £ under the bosman ruling? believe he is on a fair amount of ££! not worth it imo
FW: Danny Sullivan - June 2015 - who? release
FW: Elliot Benyon - June 2015 - Keep
FW: Karl Hawley - June 2015 - GET RID!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Agree with most of above. But Harding release he's useless, and Tonge.

What to do about the contracted players is a tough one as they could just stay. I would try and loan them out and get some of their wages paid for. We especially Hawley and Harding, both should never play for us again. Thanks Knill for stuffing as royally
TUST MEMBER
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is a difficult one, personally do not think we can read to much into who is contracted for next season, a vastly reduced player budget may not afford us the luxury of some of the players we'd like to.

For me I'm surprised some want rid of Ben Harding, he knows the conference league, he also in my view is just the type of player a club needs to be successful in that league. Would also like to see Pearce, Chapell stay, can't see it though, Cameron to stay, Lathrope as well(did very well on loan at Hereford) Think the keeper situation is already sorted, don't believe for one minute Pokey has any kind of knock, think Ricey is playing because he will be no1 keeper next season, maybe with the highly rated youth lad Lavercombe as no 2, would give Thompson a run out in the team now in preparation for next term as well. For me to get rid some real obvious ones , Mansell, Nicho, Hawley, Yeoman, Craig etc in real clear out.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Mostly agree with Plainmoor Roar's thoughts but with a few exceptions. I'd release Poke - capable keeper but he was out for several games at the beginning of the season and now he's injured, or not fully fit, again. Tom Cruise has not fulfilled his promise - not worth offering another contract. No opinion on Cooper - never had the chance to see him play. Contracted players - Benyon, Harding and Tonge - on transfer list. Sorry Elliott - you work harder than virtually anyone else but it's the end product that counts. Surely, there will be players looking for clubs who are better than Harding and Tonge ? Now I'm going to be controversial - I would keep Hawley because I think he could do a job in midfield and maybe get a few goals from midfield. Bodin and Craig are dilemmas - so much potential but when are they going to deliver? Ashley Yeoman - yeah, I know he's been at the club for several seasons but I think I'd offer him a six month 'prove yourself' contract.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I posted my views on the other thread regarding contracts.

Keep Downes, Pearce, Cameron, Chappell and Rice. Harding, undecided.

Offer terms to Rice (as number 1), perhaps Lathrope as well.

Get rid of the rest if we can.

If we are left with the above players, you have to use as much of the budget as possible on a decent central midfielder and a forward. The rest of the squad will have to be a gamble on kids released from further up the food chain or loanees.

Just my very football manager-esque take on how easy it is to reshape the squad.........
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:GK: Martin Rice - June 2014 - keep and make first choice?
GK: Michael Poke - June 2014 - if Rice is no.1 then let higher earner poke go, maybe replace with a young lad for the future

DF: Kevin Nicholson - June 2014 - Release, no question
DF: Tom Cruise - June 2014 -
DF: Shaun Cooper - June 2014 - Keep one of these 2 preferably Cooper for 1st choice LB, release the other, maybe a full season loanee as cover
DF: Aaron Downes - June 2015 - Try and keep
DF: Jake Hutchings - June 2015 - Too young, loan out again
DF: Dale Tonge - June 2015 - Probably on decent £, might be forced to keep but i'd rather start afresh
DF: Krystian Pearce - June 2015 - Try and keep
DF: Anthony O'Connor - December 2013 - [on loan from Blackburn Rovers] - probably will be loaned out again, but wouldn't drop to the conference

MF: Lee Mansell - June 2014 - Release, no question
MF: Damon Lathrope - June 2014 - Offer new contract
MF: Nathan Craig - June 2014 - Don't think he's good enough and never has suited any formation, if the £ is right keep otherwise release
MF: Niall Thompson - June 2014 - Offer new contract
MF: Courtney Cameron - June 2015 - Keep
MF: Jordan Chapell - June 2015 - Keep
MF: Ben Harding - June 2015 - Keep
MF: Joss Labadie - June 2014 - Wouldn't want to stay, use the £ else where
MF: Danny Stevens - June 2014 - Release, no question

FW: Ashley Yeoman - June 2014 - Release, no question
FW: Billy Bodin - June 2014 - still young enough we would get £ under the bosman ruling? believe he is on a fair amount of ££! not worth it imo
FW: Danny Sullivan - June 2015 - who? release
FW: Elliot Benyon - June 2015 - Keep
FW: Karl Hawley - June 2015 - GET RID!
Mansell no question?! Surely the most questions there. Benyon, waste of space. Sullivan is a first year pro or second year, lots of potential there. Wonder if we could get O'Connor on the cheap? Cruise is useless, never kept a place over Nicholson. Cooper has never played, so can't judge. Nicholson will be effective in the conference, if we get a forward with a head on him, a long ball over the top scores goals
We'll be back...
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

sam_ wrote: Mansell no question?! Surely the most questions there. Benyon, waste of space. Sullivan is a first year pro or second year, lots of potential there. Wonder if we could get O'Connor on the cheap? Cruise is useless, never kept a place over Nicholson. Cooper has never played, so can't judge. Nicholson will be effective in the conference, if we get a forward with a head on him, a long ball over the top scores goals
Mansell has to go. Unless you want to watch another year of someone playing like they are blindfolded because they show 'passion'.
The original taunton_gull!!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If I was manager I would have two heads on one in front of the players believing that we can still get out of this mess and one thinking which players I would keep if the team is relegated. If teams are believing they can reach the play offs nine points away from it why can't we believe we can get away from the bottom.

After last Saturdays game I would be thinking of the next game look at the oppositions strengths and weaknesses and planning accordingly. We are not letting goals in now so I would be looking to keep the same back four and keeper for this game. I would know that we need to create more chances and need to get behind teams so would be looking to change the midfield as this has been a long term problem. I would pick Lathrop in front of the back four. Then pick three mid fielders in Mansell , Craig and Cameron or Chapell with Cameron or Chapell being told they are the key players in the system. Up front Bodin and Coulthirst or Stockley this being a 4-1-3-2 formation.Craig needs to be tried and this formation should give him the freedom to play.

In training this week I would be working on Cameron and Chapell with the rest of the players told that the ball must reach Cameron if picked in the last third and he must get to the by line either through pass and move or by beating the last player. He would be told to pull the ball back aiming between the six yard box and the penalty spot. It would be planned that two midfield players and the two strikers attack different parts of the box knowing that the area that Cameron is going to attack. They have got to believe he's going to get the ball in. I would work on Chapell the same way on the side of the pitch they are most comfortable to get a cross in or pull back.

I would get the team passing around patiently a defence untill an opening came allowing only two touches outside the box and the two strikers Bodin with either Stockley or Coulthirst telling them they are only allowed one touch and shoot in the box.

Craig and Nicholson practicing freekicks right side and a.n.other left. Corners the same different days.

I would keep the players in a group at all time at training as all are part of the squad.

Away from the training area I would be planning if things go wrong. (Conference)
Priority.
1. Nicholson player assistant (Does not mean he plays) used as an extra player if needed.
2. Cut coaching staff .
3. Planning playing Staff. Tell the players you don't want after the last game letting a couple know they could negotiate a lower wage if they were happy with that, Poke,Tongue,Benyon,Mansell,Hawley,Bodin,Harding would be told including Nicholson some which we cannot afford. I would tell players I don't want even if they are on contract.
I would have already identified players that I would like at the club and contacted a few sounding them out now. Goalkeeper top priority, Centrehalf, Centre mid-field and Centre forward. The no. 2 keeper would have to be part -time. Hope to keep Pearce not sure yet about Downs if Pearce stays.
I would tell Craig if he does well over the next few weeks I'd offer him a contract for next season as he is getting a chance. Lathrop the same possibly Cruise. It's still to early to deal with contracts for next season you've got to believe at this stage we are getting out of this if your manager. There is a few players not good enough for the conference that I would have to dangle a carrot but knowing that may have to be taken away if better players become available during the Summer. The spine of the side would be the key.
A meeting with the Chairman as soon as our future is known, need to know the budget. :keepie: Arange the best pre season friendlies Bournemouth Bristol City Prem Side if possible this would be important and needs to be aranged now get in first.
Escape relegation and wondered what all the fuss was about :keepie:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

gurneygibbs23 wrote:What would you do with releasing and offering new deals this summer?
I speaking realisticly as were pretty much going to the conference, miracle aside.

Id expect Pearce to move onto another club, maybe we can get a small fee for him. If not give him captaincy.
Release majority of out of contract players except Yeoman and Rice, who can both offer the club something at conference level and would be low earners.
Offer Mansell, Craig and Cruise month to month deal on reduced terms

Put hawley and harding on transfer list for free.

Bring Guy Branston in working with defenders.
Put some faith in youth, give a couple of lads some game time.
Make the club drop gate prices for the first few games of next season.

Give me the managers job
I would be thinking what the hell have I done
Lucy