Another Loanee Signs - Ryan Gilligan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Trojan 67 wrote:I love that saying . . ."one trick pony" . . . especially when the player referred to is a donkey with a reputation for hoofing it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You're mean :whip:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

HRG wrote: You're mean :whip:
No by Jove, I'm bad.

:devil: :devil: :devil:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Take no notice of the woody construction in your midst.

Do be aware of what's being dropped on you from within.

Smell it ?

Don't say bullsh*t as that in this context is not factually accurate.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Back on topic :

I reckon we haven't seen the last of loans in or out before the season's end.
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Trojan: To be honest I have no idea where you're coming from... If you are just stating that you don't think Danny is very good and therefore that you hope he leaves come the summer, then OK. (I happen to disagree and think he's a great addition to the squad, and when he's not playing well, he never kicks up any fuss about being on the bench, unlike many others over the last few years)

However, if you're saying that you expect him to go, then I think you're crazy, as Buckle clearly rates him enough to have had him starting or on the bench in 99% of games since they've both been here.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Got to agree with robc, I'm a fan of Danny I think if/when he moves on it will be because he wants to, not because Buckle wants rid of him.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Rich,

No mate, it's not me on there, in fact, I came on here earlier to appeal to whoever it is to either let me take over, or to present the argument in the right way.

All,

They are reactionary on there though, so it might well be fun to see how and if this develops. I'll die laughing if he scores on Saturday and plays a blinder at their place later in the year.
Seems to me that they have a lot of opinion on that site and not a great deal of fact. By the admission of a Cobblers fan ON HERE, he was their second highest scorer last season, but according to their board, he was terrible and only in the team because they had no one better (I've covered the utter stupidity of that statement in a previous post.) So, he's managed 200+ appearances in 5 years, captained the side, always gives 100%, scores a few goals... and 90% of the fans on their site are glad he is leaving. Well **** me, they must have signed a very great number of very good players in the January window.
I particularly like the comment from one chap on there about how, 'TUFC might be above us now, but I'd be surprised if it was that way come season's end. We've spent a fortune in January.' This raises two points. The more valid of which is that we have been above them since August and I haven't seen that they have set the transfer world alight, so they certainly haven't signed any more quality than we have (yeah, Harrad is alright, but he's hardly ALF or Elliot Benyon material.) Secondly, I'll bet you a lump of coal that the guy who made that post is one of the large number of people who bemoan the money spent by the likes of Crawley and Man City to try to 'buy' their respective divisions.
When are Chairmen going to realise that it is not a game of 'I've got a bigger bank balance than you'? I guess most of us will have seen the recent Twitter/MyFace post regarding the Torres transfer fee and how Arsenal got the entire starting XI (for the match the previous Saturday which beat Wigan) for £41.7m; when oh when oh when will clubs learn? The answer, I fear, is all too late.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ACobb1
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Chris hargreaves

Post by ACobb1 »

Hi guys yet another Cobbler in peace.

Some of you say he's a great signing 'for you' which i disagree with. Hes a solid signing for any club in the division but hes not a marquee player or signing.

So what about Ryan?

He came to us as a young lad under Calderwood and played a few games. He played over 200 games for us. Alot of them were in our Relegation season form L1 where he played as an infective striker. The best performances I have seen from him were the beginning of last season and I say this with great honesty he was the best of poor bunch.

As a youngster he never set the world alight but last season as so many have rightly pointed out he scored a great number of goals. But I urge you to watch these goals anyway you can (alot were penalty's). They were all played off our Star man of last season bayo akinfenwa. Of course as a player you need to be there to score them but i wouldn't put it past any player in our team to score the goals he did. Saying that he does work hard, although don't expect him to challenge in the air or get his foot in, hes not that type of player. Best performance of this season was in a Cup game where I believe he set up two goals against Brighton but Its that lack of consistency that he does this once every 20 odd games that frustrates alot of Cobblers fans.

I'll be honest he is frustrating. He does put a shift in but sometimes he thinks hes Ronaldo. I know for a FACT that he and his dad think he is better than this division, certainly the cobblers.

Yes 200 games says alot for a 23 year old, but he became a 'teachers pet' so to speak to alot of managers. Many called upon him as he is a very solid player, but he doesn't produce moments of quality often enough and then he doesn't have that 'mean streak' that you want from a centre mid.

Some of you I believe have posted him here as being a winger. He's played CM for us alot of the time and he was moved out onto the wing in recent months. I'll be honest he thinks hes better than he is and he thinks he runs a midfield. When he played as a winger he just didn't look interested. He has an attitude problem, last season eh had a fight with out then assistant after being substituted. If he plays Saturday he doesn't shut up shouting his mouth off at referees and often leads to yellows and he also gets involved with incidents nothing to do with him alot. I don't get this he gives 100% thing he puts a shift in for sure but ive never seen him get consistently box to box or chase players down.

I have seen a few people questioning that our fans are happy for him to leave. We are not idiots, a lot of us have withness all 200 of his games. Its saying something that the manager he played the most under got us relegated and then sacked. Hes an alright player sure. Leon Constantine played 32 games for us last season and he was utter garbage.

He has had his injury problems and around the time of the Liverpool game early this season he apparently needed an operation but he delayed this till the end of the season.

I think he will work very hard for you, if anything to prove all his doubters at Sixfields wrong. He's a 6 out of ten player is what I'd call it. He does some things well and others bad but he'll never be terribly poor but never terribly great either.

Best of luck!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You come across the same as a lot of other Northampton fans, talking utter shite and deluded about how good you are.

Akinfatwat a star player? Any of your other players could have scored the same goals Gilligan did? .................But they didn't did they?

Teachers pet to more than one Manager yet he has an attitude problem? ..................I think that's yours as well as a few of your fellow fans.

He's not in possession of a mean streak? .........................................We don't need a player like that, we want footballers.

He frustrates you?.................................................. From what I've seen so far this season I'm sure that feeling is mutual.

Enjoy watching your recently signed superstars on the way to your championship winning season.
Dave

Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

ACobb1 wrote: Some of you say he's a great signing 'for you' which i disagree with. Hes a solid signing for any club in the division but hes not a marquee player or signing.
Personally I'm delighted by that.

You don't win anything with marquee players. It's the solid players that turn up every week, give you their all and make you hard to beat that matter the most over the season. We already have players like Zebroski, Kee, Stevens, O'Kane and Robinson to be the flair players, but it takes all sorts to make a successful squad and players like Mansell, Stanley and Gilligan are a huge part of that.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ACobb1
Trialist
Trialist

Post by ACobb1 »

Southampton Gull wrote:You come across the same as a lot of other Northampton fans, talking utter sh*t and deluded about how good you are.

Akinfatwat a star player? Any of your other players could have scored the same goals Gilligan did? .................But they didn't did they?

Teachers pet to more than one Manager yet he has an attitude problem? ..................I think that's yours as well as a few of your fellow fans.

He's not in possession of a mean streak? .........................................We don't need a player like that, we want footballers.

He frustrates you?.................................................. From what I've seen so far this season I'm sure that feeling is mutual.

Enjoy watching your recently signed superstars on the way to your championship winning season.
Yes star player. Top goal scorer, top assist and if you do go and spend the money on Cobblers Player to watch Gilligans goals like I did last night 5 of the 7 goals from open play he scored came from Akinfenwa touches. Thats not deluded thats fact. And yes actually alot did, Billy McKay did but he can't be there all the time!

Watch him play then. You don't have a fight with an assistant manager if you're an angel. EDIT: All i'll say is this from a recent interview with our manager

"When you strengthen the squad you soon find out who the strong characters are and who is determined to fight and scrap to get in the team and to stay in the team."

Sure but when you don't get a footballer you want someone who will run chase everything down, get stuck in and be a ball winner, a leader.

I didn't come here and once brag about any strength of our squad, who we signed when or how big either of our clubs are. If you want to kiss Gillys arse before youve seen him pull on a Gulls shirt go for it. Not once have I talked down your club, which I respect as I do like Buckles management style and the fact you do have Geoff Harrop who you nicked off us, he wouldn't join any club he in which he didn't would be 100% committed to the youth system, something we weren't. Like I said I know on good authority that him and his father both believe that he is a championship player and i'll tell you he's not.

I never once said 'we' were good. I merely commented on the player.

Gulliball wrote: Personally I'm delighted by that.

You don't win anything with marquee players. It's the solid players that turn up every week, give you their all and make you hard to beat that matter the most over the season. We already have players like Zebroski, Kee, Stevens, O'Kane and Robinson to be the flair players, but it takes all sorts to make a successful squad and players like Mansell, Stanley and Gilligan are a huge part of that.
I'm a massive fan of Kee and Zebroski, and to an extent I do agree. What I meant by that opening line was some fans (on here and NTFC forums) seem to think Gilly will now be your star player as 'little Torquay' have none. I was saying that personally I think thats a wrong assumption, but yes an alright signing indeed.
Last edited by ACobb1 on 11 Feb 2011, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
Cobblersfan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Cobblersfan »

It must be said every forum seems to have a poster who knows it all but knows **** all,they're never wrong and only their own opinion is relevant.
Anyone who disagrees with their views are subjected to vitriolic and angry retorts.
They seem to think their own teams are beyond any sort of criticism and therefore try to impress other posters with pointless statistics or attempts at ridicule which other posters simply laugh behind their back at.
I thought we had a special case on our forum in the shape of marvo who is a prize prick who wishes he was a football manager but whose talents only allowed him to be a train driver.
It's good to see you have a special fan too in the shape of Southampton gull maybe he could meet marvo when your next at sixfields and compete for the title of special fan of the year.
Alternatively they could wait for the FA to offer them a joint managers job when capello gets the boot!!
Although in Marvos case the job would be too small for a man with decades of train driving experience!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

What I think the Cobblers fans need to understand is that for years we have been used to bringing in no-hopers or untried kids on loan. Its nice for us to have signed what appears to be a solid league 2 player to go with the other solid signings we made last week. Thats why we're all very positive about this, despite what reservations you may have about Gilligan.

Am I expecting him to blow everyones socks off on Saturday? No - if he was that good you wouldn't be shipping him out on loan. But I think more than most others, Torquay fans love a tryer. If he can put in a decent shift (one of his positive traits as you say) and work hard he will bring something to the team and the fans will take to him. Believe me, anything less than that on a debut and instantly he will have his work cut out to win us over (I'm thinking Hemmings at Gillingham here for a good example of that).

As for any attitude problem, I guess we'll have a chance to find that out pretty quickly. Buckle is known for not taking any back-chat. We have a busy period of games - Gilligan can probably play something like 7 or 8 games in this month - so I'm sure his true colours will come through in that time. As we only have him for a month, I fully expect that if he does step out of line as you suggest he might, he'll be finding his way back to Sixfields in 30days time.

And as for the frosty relations on here between Cobblers and Gulls fans, thats all down to the moron we had on here from your number spouting off with all the big talk before the opening day. I'm sure your not all like that, and I personally enjoy a trip to Sixfields (although I'm yet to see us score there, bad omen perhaps?!)
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Agree with the above, and, to be fair, the NTFC fans all seem pretty reasonable in their assessments. Let's wait and see. :keepie:
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Disorda
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Disorda »

Northerners ? , think you need to brush up on some geography mate

I know alot of people on the hotel end dont seem to have given you a balanced view on gilligna but here it goes . He runs and runs , well at least untill a month ago he did. Although this running has very little purpose , I imagine it will get old with your more vocal support very quickly. It is really encouraging at first because he dosent stop , but once you realise how often hes giving the ball away it will drive you mad.

His crossing is prety decent but his passing and vision is woeful , which is why he struggles to retain the ball. Dont be suckerd in by his 11 goals last season , 4 or 5 of them were from the spot. I think his record is about 24 goals in over 200 games , so hes hardly the attacking wizard some of you have made him out to be.

So basically if you lay it off to him he will swing in a good cross , other than that he is pretty much a non-league palyer.