Give Hargreaves A Chance

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

He's had his chance and shown us very little
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Anyone at the game today can see Hargreaves has not had his chance

The players are worse than shite, no passion, no fight I don't think any manager could change some of our players
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dave_Pougher wrote:He's had his chance and shown us very little
said that we would be relegated when he got the job.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Think we are past arguing about this season on this forum but it is interesting to hear people's attitude with regard to the relationship between managers and players on the pitch. For me the manager is wholly responsible, for others obviously not. What did Ian Atkins have that turned a certain relegation into a Torquay's greatest escape? Was it better players? I don't think it was we were in the same position? Experience? Maybe, but he certainly knew how to motivate players and how to get them to do what he required.

For the record I don't think Ian Atkins would have been our answer this season.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Think we are past arguing about this season on this forum but it is interesting to hear people's attitude with regard to the relationship between managers and players on the pitch. For me the manager is wholly responsible, for others obviously not. What did Ian Atkins have that turned a certain relegation into a Torquay's greatest escape? Was it better players? I don't think it was we were in the same position? Experience? Maybe, but he certainly knew how to motivate players and how to get them to do what he required.

For the record I don't think Ian Atkins would have been our answer this season.
You could have Ian Atkins and Mr. Motivator in charge but we'd still be going down, the players are not good enough

Scunthorpe were terrible today, if we were good enough to stay in the league we would had won

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

No, his had his chance and isnt up to it.

Probably the same people that thought Knill was up to it thoughout the season even though you could see he wasn't after the first few games, now think we have to be nailed on relegation to conference south before they will admit Hargreaves is not either.

Playing Hawley, what a shocking decision!

I think team selection is done by drawing straws, it must be. There is no other logical reason for it.
TUST MEMBER
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

No, he has had his chance, he can now p1ss off and take almost the whole of that poxy team with him. :@
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

We will not sack CH

We don't have the ££ to be doing that, I'd rather pay up Hawley and get him out of the club!

I imagine £1k a week cooper and god knows a week labadie will also sod off

DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I can just imagine what Hargreaves would be saying on the local media if an Alan Knill side put in a performance like we have witnessed recently.

Not so easy is it Chris?
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I don't blame CH at all, inherited a team which isn't fit for the Skrill leagues. Hopefully given the chance in the conference he'll offload the deadwood and bring in players who can actually score and care for the club, that being said, I still would've preferred a more experienced manager for this season after AK's sacking. The fact that Barnet hired Allen and they won again today which means they're unbeaten under him at the moment just annoys me how we've gone for inexperience over experience.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

OllieGull wrote:I don't blame CH at all, inherited a team which isn't fit for the Skrill leagues. Hopefully given the chance in the conference he'll offload the deadwood and bring in players who can actually score and care for the club, that being said, I still would've preferred a more experienced manager for this season after AK's sacking. The fact that Barnet hired Allen and they won again today which means they're unbeaten under him at the moment just annoys me how we've gone for inexperience over experience.
make your mind up mate.

you say hes not to blame, and then point out hes inexpeienced......

as for removing the "deadwood" hes a manager who gives starts to the old boys and signs stevens.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

OllieGull wrote:I don't blame CH at all, inherited a team which isn't fit for the Skrill leagues. Hopefully given the chance in the conference he'll offload the deadwood and bring in players who can actually score and care for the club, that being said, I still would've preferred a more experienced manager for this season after AK's sacking. The fact that Barnet hired Allen and they won again today which means they're unbeaten under him at the moment just annoys me how we've gone for inexperience over experience.
It seems to have gone under the radar somewhat, but Hargreaves has made several signings of his own (including Danny Stevens, who we had all decided was past his use-by date last summer and Shaun Cooper, who having signed in January is still to kick a ball in anger for us). How many have had a consistently positive effect? Goodwin?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: make your mind up mate.

you say hes not to blame, and then point out hes inexpeienced......

as for removing the "deadwood" hes a manager who gives starts to the old boys and signs stevens.
I'm not blaming him because he's inexperienced, it's a mere fact that he is. He needs time and chances to make his own squad, if it's still the same next season and we have a complete different 11 then I will be blaming him.
And also about his signings, yes it's a fair point, but I think it's relatively unlucky regarding the Cooper situation, and to be fair on the whole most of his loans have been strikers as we've been sh*te upfront all season and none have really delivered. Stevens was a pointless signing though imo.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Res Ipsa Loquitur. That concludes the case M'Lud ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I have felt sorry for Hargreaves. He was left a shambles by Knill. He changes the team around too much and it has almost become a bit of a joke about Hargreaves' tombola approach to picking the team but he has so much dross and mediocrity that I don't think there is much he can do.

Saying that, he hasn't helped himself either and there has been a bit of a groundswell against him recently and if there was a moment when it felt like the majority of fans turned against him, then it was today when the no.27 board was held up and our only threat, Shaq, a player on loan from Spurs, was substituted for a player who not long ago was on loan at Bideford.

The booing and the chants of 'that's why we're going down, that's why we're going down...' suggest CH has some work to do to win over many of the fans. He is perhaps in even a worse predicament than Knill, as there were some, misguided perhaps, who wanted to keep Knill and they will feel somewhat justified because Hargreaves has been even worse, without it occurirng to them that a Sturrock or Allen, may have clawed us clear.

Hargreaves has certainly been tainted. From people I talk to, most feel like they do not trust him to sign the right players or have any idea of what team/formation/approach he would adopt.

It is such a gamble - a gamble to stick with him (but I sense we have to) and to let him build a team, that could do badly and have to sack yet another manager, and a gamble to get rid (which I really do not see happening). He has only been here three months and I think he probably deserves a chance to build his own team first.