Give Hargreaves A Chance

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

70K-80K a year would mean a salary of around £1,500 a week so it doesn't seem that ridiculous?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

That makes it all so much worse :-(

£70-80k a year for that......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

you think that's bad? mansell is on 1.5x times that apparently!
The gulls are going up
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

The 2 I posted I know are definitely true

It wouldn't surprise me if people like Poke, Benyon Mansell and Nico are all around the same mark.

Think of what we could do getting rid of all those, 6 players averaging 80k is 480k!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

that's more than our playing budget will be next year!
The gulls are going up
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

If those salaries are genuine then it is sickening. And some suggest Knill didn't have a very good budget - well he certainly didn't make very good use of it, if the likes of Tonge, no doubt, Hawley, Harding etc are on similar.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Knills fault, end of, judge ch on next season.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Knills Fault for being inept and recruiting poor players
The Boards Fault for acting too slowly and then appointing Hargreaves
Hargreaves fault for being inept and being unable to change a mindset and instill a pattern of play.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ROADRUNNER wrote:Knills fault, end of, judge ch on next season.
next season is too late.

what f**ks me off about CH is that he slagged off knill on tv and has now done a worse job.

i said as soon as he got the job we would be relegated as he was a novice - but now not only that he is also clueless.

only he would have brought stevens back and then play him in front of our top scorer.

so dont give me that bo**ocks about next season - he had the chance to keep our league status and hes failed. miserably.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: next season is too late.

what f**ks me off about CH is that he slagged off knill on tv and has now done a worse job.

i said as soon as he got the job we would be relegated as he was a novice - but now not only that he is also clueless.

only he would have brought stevens back and then play him in front of our top scorer.

so dont give me that bo**ocks about next season - he had the chance to keep our league status and hes failed. miserably.

Agreed! :-D
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Burnhamgull wrote:Knills Fault for being inept and recruiting poor players
The Boards Fault for acting too slowly and then appointing Hargreaves
Hargreaves fault for being inept and being unable to change a mindset and instill a pattern of play.
You'll be hung drawn and quartered on 'the other site' for something so simple and 'unpadded' and without any semblance of intellectual debate as to if you are right or wrong here Burnhamgull. After all, how could such turmoil be explained away in 3 concise sentences?

I'm with you and I think this succinct summary is 100% correct.

Knill signed a load of old shite barring Pearce and added them to shite already here because we sold O'Kane, Olejnik and Ellis and Robbo went too leaving behind shite and even worse, Bodin. So basically Knill had a team which was 90% nowhere near up to the job. Add to this his relentlessly strange and clueless management approaches and bingo, we head for the conference as early as October.

The board acted slowly in getting rid of Knill. Correct. Like I said, in October it was becoming apparent that we were looking at a man who didn't have a clue what he was doing and that we would struggle from here on in. Lots of fans highlighted their concerns so it wasn't random opinion. The board did what Norwich City have just done and what saw us drop and will see Norwich drop too.

Play shit football and lose every week without hardly scoring and then along comes a game where it is a must win or the manager gets the boot. We go to Bury on the back of a shocking run of results and somehow win 3-1. This buys Knill time. After that we get dumped out of the FA Cup by Rochdale, lose 4 of the next 5 the only saving grace a draw v Gargs. Then comes the next must win game against Southend which he duly won thanks to a penalty and we then only won 1 of his next 4 including a home loss to Exeter and a loss at Home Park. So you see, clear and obvious opportunities missed to cut loose a man whose record for us was consistently poor and his management erratic.

Our relegation was confirmed a month into the reign of CH when it soon became apparent that he was well out of his depth and quite clearly is not the man to save us nor take us places next season. The man isn't brutal enough and next season will be brutal. CH must be relieved of his duties even if we think he might be able to do a job because we've had 4 months to see if he has any aptitude for management and I don't see any whatsoever. Going in to a blind alley next season with someone who appears not to see things clearly on a regular basis is curtains.

So Burnham is spot on. All 3 statements explain exactly why we are where we are.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

We can't chop and change manager every four months. Like it or lump, we are stuck with Hargreaves for next season. I've been disappointed with his record, but he deserves the chance to build his own team.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Not sure £1k to £1.5k a week is that high a salary for a proffessional. There may be 1000's in Devon earning less that that but there are 1000's earning more than that as well.
We know our salary bill last year was £1.5 million so we are obviously paying some players that sort of amount.

Whether Mansell is worth that amount is an entirely different question
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Why does he deserve the chance to build his own team tommy?

Knill had the chance to do this when he kept us up but many questioned why when based upon what they had seen there still should have been a thorough recruitment process.

I'm saying the same about CH. He has had 4 months and although I'm sure many of you will fondly remember the
win at Pompey, other than that he has been an atrocious appointment.

Give him a chance by all means but forfeit your chance to complain when it could go permanently wrong next season. Get it wrong next season and there could be no club left. I'm sorry but I've seen no evidence from CH to suggest he is prepared to excrete blood to get results. It isn't worth the risk but if we're stuck with him then it would just be indicative of a board that couldn't find their arse with both hands. If we're stuck with CH then we have to accept that the likelihood of us completely bombing and ending in the conf south is the same as him turning things around sufficiently at the club which is the scenario that many of you are expecting.

I just don't think that some folk quite appreciate the gravity of the situation next season. A total rookie with 4 months of shocking decision making under his belt doesn't quite fill me with the confidence I had when he took charge. I didn't expect miracles but I reasonably expected a lot more than I got from CH and for that reason his appointment I foresee is a huge mistake.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote: You'll be hung drawn and quartered on 'the other site' for something so simple and 'unpadded' and without any semblance of intellectual debate as to if you are right or wrong here Burnhamgull. After all, how could such turmoil be explained away in 3 concise sentences?

I'm with you and I think this succinct summary is 100% correct.

Knill signed a load of old shite barring Pearce and added them to shite already here because we sold O'Kane, Olejnik and Ellis and Robbo went too leaving behind shite and even worse, Bodin. So basically Knill had a team which was 90% nowhere near up to the job. Add to this his relentlessly strange and clueless management approaches and bingo, we head for the conference as early as October.

The board acted slowly in getting rid of Knill. Correct. Like I said, in October it was becoming apparent that we were looking at a man who didn't have a clue what he was doing and that we would struggle from here on in. Lots of fans highlighted their concerns so it wasn't random opinion. The board did what Norwich City have just done and what saw us drop and will see Norwich drop too.

Play sh*t football and lose every week without hardly scoring and then along comes a game where it is a must win or the manager gets the boot. We go to Bury on the back of a shocking run of results and somehow win 3-1. This buys Knill time. After that we get dumped out of the FA Cup by Rochdale, lose 4 of the next 5 the only saving grace a draw v Gargs. Then comes the next must win game against Southend which he duly won thanks to a penalty and we then only won 1 of his next 4 including a home loss to Exeter and a loss at Home Park. So you see, clear and obvious opportunities missed to cut loose a man whose record for us was consistently poor and his management erratic.

Our relegation was confirmed a month into the reign of CH when it soon became apparent that he was well out of his depth and quite clearly is not the man to save us nor take us places next season. The man isn't brutal enough and next season will be brutal. CH must be relieved of his duties even if we think he might be able to do a job because we've had 4 months to see if he has any aptitude for management and I don't see any whatsoever. Going in to a blind alley next season with someone who appears not to see things clearly on a regular basis is curtains.

So Burnham is spot on. All 3 statements explain exactly why we are where we are.
sorry andy me old mate,you and the burnham are talking bo**ocks with regard to hargreaves.

we were down as soon as he was appointed manager.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468