Exeter V Torquay 21st April 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

you can probably sign up for text alerts on your phone (team & goal annoncements..sometimes delayed ) from your service provider; you can follow online if you have an internet connection either by PC, tablet or phone on the BBC text commentary ( I think they spend half the match asleep); you might get some commentary on here or on the twitter feed if any Gull fans show up. I'll be there, but I won't be providing any commentary I'm afraid !
Otherwise, either go to SJP or listen out for the results ! I've tried listening to my radio on Radio Devon 1458 for away games; I might be able to hear one word in twenty-three if lucky; intermingled with Indian music or a London 1458 frequency !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

in the next hour i will be off to the match with 2 others, looking forward to see us get relegated today NOT! :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Gullscorer wrote:Obviously any Gulls supporters going to the Exeter game today will be the loyal diehard ones, not the fickle fair weather fans.
Best of luck to them and the team..
Rubbish

Why give Exeter any £ at all?

I've mad the decision rather than go today I'll go to the last home game vs Wycombe, paying my money to our club
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

yellowwot1 wrote:Well you can but you would need to pay Tufc forsubscription to the service!
At least we won't have to next season. Free in the conference
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: Rubbish
Why give Exeter any £ at all?
I've mad the decision rather than go today I'll go to the last home game vs Wycombe, paying my money to our club
So how would you describe those Gulls fans who are actually going to the game today, other than loyal and diehard?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There is going to be one outcome to this I'm afraid. Thats going to be an afternoon of total humiliation. However big a supporter anyone is - what exactly is the point.
I have read Hargreaves notes on the main site. It was as I actually said - he didn't do the interview after the match for fear of saying what he thought of the referee.
It was an astonishing decision by the ref not to send Saah off - you do wonder the travelling distances involved for referees visiting Plainmoor and possibly see why it might.
be "convenient" for us to be relegated.
However bad we have been the number of big decisions in games that have gone against us this season is quite bizarre.
That said the rest of Hargreaves notes are claptrap. If we beat Exeter today it doesn't matter a jot.
Look at the facts. We are a dejected and demoralised group who have nothing left to play for except for pride, and as the majority of our players doon't appear to have any so we can rule that out. Half our squad are either injured or suspended.
Exeter on the other hand have a hundred per cent record in local derbies this season. They have a fully fit squad and on the scale of representing a chance to be playing league football next season playing our legion of half arsed **** this afternoon its massive.
I actually wouldn't be suprised if they inflicted further misery on us with a fearful hammering.
If they don't beat us they will probably go down and will deserve to do so.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Are you saying those choosing to stay away are fair weather fans then?

I know of somebody who has been to almost every game, home and away, this season who isn't going today because he can't bear the thought of seeing the team go down against the greasers. Does that make him a fair weather fan?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Was going to post the same myself. Its one game too many for most fans. I would actually be suprised if we get 100 turning out this afternoon.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I've done it everybody. Everyone chillax because I've been down Laddies and put my bets on and I've gone £20 on Grimsby to beat Hyde, Chesterfield to beat Daggers and Exeter too. That now guarantees a Gulls win! I can't be a loyal and diehard fan and get to the game but I can do my bit in some small way. :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Then you also have to take into account those that want to go but can't because finance doesn't allow them to - clearly fair weather fans.
What of those who can't get there as it's too far? Fair weather fans.
Those working and unable to make it? Fair weather fans.

Face it - those that are going are to commended, but it makes no less a fan than those who can't/won't go. Some have spent hundreds of pounds this season following the Gulls up and down the country and simply refuse to spend their hard earned seeing either another defeat, which condemns us to relegation at one of our bitter rivals, or witnessing a win that simply produces another false dawn.
I hope we win, simply because it would be great to beat the Greasers in what, it would appear, to be our final Devon derby for at least a season (unless the greasers go down with us), but I fully understand those not wanting to go, and certainly wouldn't think of calling them fair weather fans.

STIP
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I've done it everybody. Everyone chillax because I've been down Laddies and put my bets on and I've gone £20 on Grimsby to beat Hyde, Chesterfield to beat Daggers and Exeter too. That now guarantees a Gulls win! I can't be a loyal and diehard fan and get to the game but I can do my bit in some small way. :)
Exeter aren't playing Chesterfield

;-)

STIP
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I am going today .Have got a lift with an Exeter fan . It will be an "interesting" journey home, unless I end up having to make my own way back due to "circumstances" !! I want to be there to support my team and Greavsie. I will be shouting encouragement, just like I did in the last game, along with several other fans who did that were stood around me. I know this is going to be an emotional day,but I cannot envision myself being anywhere else." Torquay til' I die" followed by "always look on the bright side of life...."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oh,that was last Friday. :-/ :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Are you saying those choosing to stay away are fair weather fans then?
I know of somebody who has been to almost every game, home and away, this season who isn't going today because he can't bear the thought of seeing the team go down against the greasers. Does that make him a fair weather fan?
No, of course not. There will be any number of reasons why Gulls fans decided not be there today (I happen to be currently ill and poverty-stricken). I was simply intending to say that we would not expect fickle fair-weather fans to be there, to press home the point I was making about the loyal diehard ones. Sorry if I inadequately expressed myself..
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Ultimately Mick if we take your comment at face value then I can have no argument with it and as someone who is prone to black and white thinking I used to actually think you were correct. Surely if we as fans can go to games when we are winning then it makes sense that we also don't give up and stop going when we are losing? That makes sense to me and those who have gone today, even the ones who live nearby deserve credit and many may look down their noses at the fans who choose to stay away for whatever reason. That is up to them.

I just feel very bitter towards 80% of the players and also Knill and Hargreaves if I'm being honest for not even making a gnarled and desperate attempt at winning games of football as they come around and therefore I personally don't believe they warrant our support. They get paid for playing football but support has to be earned. If I see a group of players who are busting their arses to win games and we lose then I really appreciate the effort and I continue going. I accept that such levels of energy can't be achieved every game but I've been to 6 under Hargreaves and apart from the first hour at Chesterfield they have been absolutely atrocious. It's not good enough. Having seen what I have these past 4 months especially the manager and players who aren't prepared to help themselves then quite frankly they don't deserve fans.

That is my view and I think it is a fair one. Last season I missed a day of my holiday to go to Morecambe away to hopefully see us safe and whilst I appreciate that others make significant sacrifices to go and support us I felt that although we were at the bottom and still playing shit football, that 75% of the team actually cared and were generally trying to give it a real go. There were a few like Rene who had just given up completely but by and large I still had a deal of respect for most of the players and was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This time round there are simply no excuses for these players and both managers in all honesty and I see Rice and Pearce and perhaps Downes genuinely caring and genuinely trying to do the best they can in games. Nobody else deserves any respect as professional sportsmen as I feel no matter how rubbish we may think they are I'm sure a few will go on to other clubs and do ok. They have no integrity or self respect IMO and so why should I go and cheer them on? Like I've said, they have had umpteen opportunities to prove that the words they spout mean something tangible but they are all empty words just like the spiel CH came out with yesterday on the O/S. It's all bull Chris, just get out and get the **** job done and stop trying to get pally with the fans saying you are suffering with us. Well you know what to do then don't you lad? Eh?

If we can't win today then nobody should turn up on the last day against Wycombe. Let the losers play in front of 4 empty stands.

There is no pressure on us, not even with it being a derby game. We are down, we are shit and everyone probably barring the Exeter fans expects us to lose and play rubbish. If we lose it's no big deal. If we win then we can help try and send them down. That being the only reason for a win today. Exeter have all the pressure and if our players can't even go out and win a game of football convincingly when it's a dead rubber then it just further reinforces my argument as to why I think people should stop giving these losers any more support.