Another Loanee Signs - Ryan Gilligan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Soon as a player leaves a club instantly he's rubbish, that's not Northampton fans but football fans generally.

Even when Benyon went there were some posts 'he's not that good anyway'

If he can play wide, puts a shift in and has some sort of final product be it goals or delivery then he'll do for me. If we want to be thinking playoffs, then Stevens has to be a squad player. I'd imagine this signing is with that in mind.

I quite like the Cobblers, mainly because I like Sixfields (it's ideal for a club like Northampton, no ideas above their station and not playing in a 3/4 empty ground like some clubs) and it's easy to get to for me. I occasionally go to Northampton to take in a Steelbacks game as well.

I'm a bit more optimistic about our chances of 7th. Bucks for me has made 3 inspired signings recently. 3 lads that have done well in this league previously and played for clubs that have been in and around the top 7 the last couple of years. We've got a young team and that expereicne will be very handy. :-D
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Theres only one league team that isnt "Northerners" compared to us Disorda (and they might not be around next season) :)

So to summarise, in essence he's a winger who is fast and can get good crosses into the box?
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

I don't think he is Fletch, looking at their board I get the impression they are surprised we're thinking he plays on the wing - memory serves me correct I'm sure he's a centre midfielder.

Whatever his position he's absolutely useless, held back Northampton for several years from progressing to greater things, average, 6/10 player, teachers pet, chronically injured, goes missing in big games, only seems to score penalties, weak at shooting, arrogant, things he should be player higher than League Two & to cap it off thinks he's Christiano Ronaldo.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Disorda wrote:
He runs and runs , well at least untill a month ago he did.

So basically if you lay it off to him he will swing in a good cross
Just picking out the probable salient points from this appraisal Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

A little more research on the hopeless Ryan "goes missing in big games" Gilligan brought me to Cobblers brilliant Carling Cup run this season, where, of course, they defeated Liverpool at Anfield.

Looking at his player ratings from the 3 big games in the Carling Cup & I was somewhat shocked at how well "Northampton's 7th choice midfielder" performed:

Brighton (H) Guardian had him down as 8.3/10.
Liverpool (A) Sky Sports had him at an impressive 8.7/10.
Ipswich (A) Sky Sports had him at 7.0/10.

Each of the 3 games Gilligan was the 3rd highest performer out of the Northampton team, & in the Brighton & Liverpool games he was 3rd highest rating out of all 22 players on the pitch.

Not bad. Obviously there's many other games but the first 3 I picked he was one of the better players. Yet very clear to me 5 time Champions League winners Northampton Town were pleased to get shot off him. Only time will tell.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Cobblersfan wrote:It must be said every forum seems to have a poster who knows it all but knows f**k all,they're never wrong and only their own opinion is relevant.
Anyone who disagrees with their views are subjected to vitriolic and angry retorts.
They seem to think their own teams are beyond any sort of criticism and therefore try to impress other posters with pointless statistics or attempts at ridicule which other posters simply laugh behind their back at.
I thought we had a special case on our forum in the shape of marvo who is a prize prick who wishes he was a football manager but whose talents only allowed him to be a train driver.
It's good to see you have a special fan too in the shape of Southampton gull maybe he could meet marvo when your next at sixfields and compete for the title of special fan of the year.
Alternatively they could wait for the FA to offer them a joint managers job when capello gets the boot!!
Although in Marvos case the job would be too small for a man with decades of train driving experience!!

Thanks for the kind words :rofl:

My post was aimed at the fan I quoted and was merely a response to what he'd posted along with some of the negative comments about Gilligan I'd read on your forum. Now if you'd like to highlight where I did any of the things you allege I have then I'd be very happy to answer the points you raised. There was no vitriol, no anger, I didn't use any statistics but answered when they were given and I would and have been happy to criticise my own team as and when I felt like doing so.

Your first post was an enjoyable read, your opinions were balanced, and to be honest they were totally different to what I've read by the clear majority of Northampton fans not only on here but also your own forum. Now having said that, your second post quoted above is almost a perfect example of what you're accusing me of doing. I'm quite sure that your opinions are well-reasoned but it's fair to say that you've put yourself into the same group you reserved for myself and your fellow fan "Marvo".

All that aside, thanks for the insight into Ryan Gilligan, I'm hopeful that we have the coaching staff to get the best out of him, something I've felt since first finding out we'd signed him. I'll wish you good luck for the rest of the season, and if you'd like to meet for a beer prior to our game up there I'd be happy to do so.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullible1
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Gullible1 »

Anyway, Gilligan looks like a great signing. The Northampton fans are talking rubbish. I've read their fans site and they have posts going back 2 years that they want rid of him. Why would they say such things about a player that has done so much for them? Bloody posh Cockneys! Ryan Gilligan is still young enough to win Torbay player of the Century because we've personally witnessed his impressive display against us on the 1st day of the season, when we thrashed those shoe making mofo's 3-0! God I hate people that wear shoes. I remember the days when we walked along the bay of Torbay without shoes, those were the days...
:keepie:
I'm a bit annoyed that we'll be beneath the Cobblers scum after we get the points deduction, following our silly decision to field an ineligible player. Add to that the fact that he may not be able to play for us again, and the recent departure of Elliott Benyon, what will become of the greatest season in our history? Maybe we'll sign another of the Cobblers talented fringe players. There's a chap on their books called Alistair Slowe. According to the Cobblers fans he pretty shit too...What do they know though? I think we should add him to our squad...He may be the final piece to our ever complicated promotion puzzle? :scarf:

As a Gulls fan of some 24 minutes, I'd personally be happy if we finished above Stockport County... I just hope we don't BUCKLE under the pressure when attempting to reach our target of 22nd. I can't wait for the open top bus parade. The lads have been given assurances of a meal at Rick Steins chip shop in Padstow... =D

Whatever happens, at least we've got the local derby game in the Summer against or rivals, Paignton United..They're sure to swell our crowd by another 25... :clap:

Up the Cobblers :devil:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Gullible1 wrote:Anyway, Gilligan looks like a great signing. The Northampton fans are talking rubbish. I've read their fans site and they have posts going back 2 years that they want rid of him. Why would they say such things about a player that has done so much for them? Bloody posh Cockneys! Ryan Gilligan is still young enough to win Torbay player of the Century because we've personally witnessed his impressive display against us on the 1st day of the season, when we thrashed those shoe making mofo's 3-0! God I hate people that wear shoes. I remember the days when we walked along the bay of Torbay without shoes, those were the days...
:keepie:
I'm a bit annoyed that we'll be beneath the Cobblers scum after we get the points deduction, following our silly decision to field an ineligible player. Add to that the fact that he may not be able to play for us again, and the recent departure of Elliott Benyon, what will become of the greatest season in our history? Maybe we'll sign another of the Cobblers talented fringe players. There's a chap on their books called Alistair Slowe. According to the Cobblers fans he pretty sh*t too...What do they know though? I think we should add him to our squad...He may be the final piece to our ever complicated promotion puzzle? :scarf:

As a Gulls fan of some 24 minutes, I'd personally be happy if we finished above Stockport County... I just hope we don't BUCKLE under the pressure when attempting to reach our target of 22nd. I can't wait for the open top bus parade. The lads have been given assurances of a meal at Rick Steins chip shop in Padstow... =D

Whatever happens, at least we've got the local derby game in the Summer against or rivals, Paignton United..They're sure to swell our crowd by another 25... :clap:

Up the Cobblers :devil:
I can't wait to get rid of Gilligan, he's been the thorn in our side for the entire time he's been at this club, despite him being 2nd top scorer last season and being highly rated in our important games in the cup, he's still been a terrible player who does not deserve to pull on that jersey each week. I once saw him walking down the tunnel and he said hello to me, obviously, I told him to go f*ck himself as I look at all my players like Jeremy Kyle must do on stage. But, it's ok. Once he's gone, we'll have another 200 central midfield players who can fit into his place... hang on, I just need to name them all for the 15th time in the same thread...

I will conveniently forget that Torquay have been above us since day 1 of this season because we have a much better team (although I don't know what that says about our manager, he must be terrible at his job!) and don't forget the midfield. Our 7 central midfielders rival that of the 3 that play each week for Barca, Iniesta who? We've got Walker!

Well, you must excuse me for the rest of this season, we're going for the automatic promotion and when we don't get it, we'll moan, whine and complain until either the FA gives us a free promotion spot or we are forced to make a scapegoat out of one our players, failing that we'll just sign up to the forums of all the teams that finished above us and tell them how they've all cheated their way to promotion. A situation which obviously would've been avoided if we had taken a realistic approach to our ego's earlier in the season when we were in the relegation battle.

Right, off to Sixfields today to watch our team win 45-0, call at least 12 away fans sh*t and then blame one of our more prolific players for not scoring 30 goals in one game.

Well that was fun being a Northampton fan for 15 mins, I now have an inflated ego and I've taken quite a shine to my sister... :whip:
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Now that was quality, I did think of a satirical reply myself but could never have come close to that.

You must be a Matt :clap: :clap:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Lovely job Camb, gave me a giggle :bow:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Camb..

:~D :-D :lol:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I try 8/
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

cambgull wrote:I try 8/
You are being too modest sir.
:)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sounds like Gilligan had a real influence on this game when he came on,i see there are two TUFC fans posting on the hotel end,niether are me,however i feel a piece of old fashioned wumery coming on,if can be bothered that is. :devil:
Formerly known as forevertufc
ACobb1
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Chris hargreaves

Post by ACobb1 »

I hear Mr Gilligan had quite an impact when he came on so maybe I will be made to eat my words! :devil:

Best of luck & I hope to see alot of you at Sixfields!!

ACobb1