Contract renewals and extensions

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Can we not offer him a token contract - half his pay and tell him to take it or leave it?

That way, if he signs he's on less money, if he doesn't, we get money from trubunal.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Can we not offer him a token contract - half his pay and tell him to take it or leave it?

That way, if he signs he's on less money, if he doesn't, we get money from trubunal.
Depends on the wording of his current contract I guess.

Some contracts stipulate a new contract offer cannot be for less money than the current one.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :whip:

Not even remotely funny Scotty lad!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It's not meant to be funny - it's an attempt to offer him a contract that he will refuse, but will allow us to get some cash back for him as a result of the tribunal.

If he's going to go, lets get some bloody money out of it!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:It's not meant to be funny - it's an attempt to offer him a contract that he will refuse, but will allow us to get some cash back for him as a result of the tribunal.

If he's going to go, lets get some bloody money out of it!!
Now you put it like that I think it's a superb idea!! :na: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Unfortunately, the club would ONLY be entitled to compensation if we were to offer him a new contract on at least the SAME money (i.e. wages) or more. I would suggest that his performances over the last two years do not warrant a new contract on the sort of money he would have attracted back then when the likes of newly promoted to League 1 Crewe were after him and he had spent the whole of the previous season playing at the top end of League 2 with us, Crewe and even Swindon.

We might consider offering him a new deal on a lot less money, based purely on "potential" although I'm really not sure he has earned one, but if he decides not to accept it then he is free to sign for anyone else and we won't be entitled to a penny in compensation and, of course, our £70k investment goes down the drain.

I'm sure there would be clubs interested in taking a punt on young Billy, particularly on a free, and wouldn't be surprised if Crewe came back in for him, or Walsall (where Lingy is scouting) or even perhaps Northampton given the Knill connection ... but wherever he ends up next season I don't expect it to be at Plainmoor.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Can we not offer him a token contract - half his pay and tell him to take it or leave it?

Employment contracts may not, in this regard, be unilaterally varied. Billy would either have to accept the reduction, or quit or we would have to give him notice to terminate. This is where things get proper legal, because if Billy quits, he can sue for constructive dismissal. If he stays on the reduced money, he can sue for the shortfall and if we sack him, he can sue for unfair dismissal.

None of these is a can of corn for either side. If the club can establish valid business reasons for reducing the salary by the amount that they did, then it is possible to defend an action on all three counts. This is the primary requirement among a host of others, the majority of which the club would likely fail to establish.

Now, if we could get him to bite his marker at a corner...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

His contract ends this season Matt. We either offer him nothing and he's a free transfer, or we offer him a new deal to attempt to get him to stay at the club - he can then choose to sign it or go elsewhere. If we've offered him a matching deal then we can take it to a tribunal or agree a fee, and if it's lower than his current deal he can move without compensation.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ah, in which case, we could allow his present deal to expire and then offer him a new deal, as per Scotty's suggestion, and take the chance that he leaves for free, but with the possibility that he might just stay and play on the cheap (he won't, of course, he's got a £1500/month brylcreem habit to sustain).

I wonder, since they all have a 20% reduction in salary for relegation clause, whether the new deal would have to match a deal as it would exist if the present contract continued, or whether we'd be forced to offer him the same money as he's on now, without taking into consideration the terms of his present deal?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Gulliball wrote:We either offer him nothing and he's a free transfer, or we offer him a new deal to attempt to get him to stay at the club - he can then choose to sign it or go elsewhere. If we've offered him a matching deal then we can take it to a tribunal or agree a fee, and if it's lower than his current deal he can move without compensation.
Agreed re Bodin. He'll end up elsewhere, whether we 'risk' the contract offer or not. We have Cameron and Chapell still under contract for next term.

Rumours abound on another site that 5 have been offered deals for next year. Wonder who they are? Obviously there are a few under contract already. I'd have Lathrope, Rice, with Yeoman, Sullivan and Hutchings and get the slate wiped. Would consider paying up Tonge on his remainder, too.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Hutchings & Sullivan are on 2 year contracts until June 2015.

Lathrope, Rice & Yeoman are amongst a whole group of players who are out of contract as of 30 June 2014.

I do not understand some of the comments about Billy Bodin. His contract ends 30 June 2014. Simples.

CH has to decide if he is worth a new contract, maximum 1 Year, given his lack of progress. A very frustrating player and that is being kind.

This is going to be a big test for CH to choose the right players. Many like Hawley have another year on their contract. They will be difficult to unload if we are relegated.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

The Bodin comments relate to regulations governing players 24 and under, portugull. Thanks for clarifying re Hutchings and Sullivan.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

"We have some players who I expect will want to play in League 2 next season. We have some players out of contract and some players in contract, so there can't be wholesale changes." - Chris Hargreaves 26.4.14
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

"What's the point of having a youth set-up if the players produced never get a chance in the first-team"? Guy Branston,Sunday Independent,27.4.14.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

just thinking about our (better) loanees

Chargill
Coulthirst
O'Connor
Goodwin

who would people want back?

I believe we will ask the question of all 4 for next year

But, whoever we get, if its any of those 4 i hope its a season long loan, we need a settled side quickly!
we could have most of our back 5 together for next year would be positive!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!